• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinzall - Dave Arnold's food centrifuge

blue_dolphin

4 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The motor is designed so that it doesn't base RPMs on voltage; it'll work worldwide (you just have to use it with a transformer).

That is correct. All induction motors are line frequency dependent by definition.

A dual voltage induction motor is not that much more expensive and no bigger in size.

A stepup transformer is extra cost and a pain to have around in the kitchen just for spinning.

dcarch

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for those of us who were beginning to panic - 

Dear Spinzall pre-sale backers,

We've received an outpouring of customer requests asking us to extend the Spinzall pre-sale so that Booker and Dax reaches its goal and the Spinzall gets made. We have agreed. You original backers and anyone that pre-orders before Jan 1, 2017 will STILL get the Spinzall for $699.

Starting January 1, 2017 the pre-sale price will raise to $799 per unit until we reach our sales goal. We are still planning to ship in July.
cleardot.gif
Your credit card will not be charged until 1,000 units have been pre-sold. If you'd like to cancel your order, you can do so any time.

Happy spinning,

Dave and Nastassia
  • Like 2

Thank goodness. I can't personally justify the expense (even though I'd really like one) but it would be a crying shame if these didn't get built. The design is so brilliant and there's nothing even close on the market. It's small, it's comparably cheap, and it can process large-ish batches using the pump. It's a hell of a design, and I hope they sell a boatload of them. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 3

i've been following the Spinzall and do hope it gets made, if only to reward Dave for his hard work...

however, i fail to see how extending the funding time at an increased price will lead to it being funded, if it didn't fund at the lower price.

This is especially true since people are not pre-paying for it, meaning having the funds now isn't required anyhow. If you wanted it in a week from now, you'd want it now at a lower price.

• Like 2

They picked the worst possible time to launch a crowdfunding campaign, I'm sure a lot of potential customers are short of cash about now due to spending it on gifts and travel for the holidays.  Probably would have been better to delay the launch until New Years Day when people have had a chance to recover a bit and may have year end bonuses burning a hole in their pockets.  That being said, I'm in for 1.  Just going to try and keep the price a secret when it shows up at the door.

Edited by Coogles (log)
  • Like 1

It's out of my budget at either price but honestly, I'm not feeling any nagging desire to have it. I do hope it succeeds in funding for those who want it because it'll be fun seeing what people get up to with it. I think it's cool and 8 - 10 years ago me would probably be trying hard to find a way to fit it in the budget... but today me isn't really tempted. I might buy it if it were $100 (because it is cool) but I don't think I'd actually want it any more than I do now. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

It's out of my budget at either price but honestly, I'm not feeling any nagging desire to have it. I do hope it succeeds in funding for those who want it because it'll be fun seeing what people get up to with it. I think it's cool and 8 - 10 years ago me would probably be trying hard to find a way to fit it in the budget... but today me isn't really tempted. I might buy it if it were $100 (because it is cool) but I don't think I'd actually want it any more than I do now. :D

You've been reading my mind.  I do hope though that it succeeds for those who want it. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think that this will have a slow uptake. The centrifuge, while cool and all, doesn't solve a problem most of us have. SV, the CSO,  and the searzall are more universally useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adey73 said:

CSO?

Cuisinart Steam Oven. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, adey73 said:

Thanks Anna.

I'lll wait for Annova smart oven.

I will just add that the only reason I don't own the CSO is insufficient real estate in my kitchen. I use one up north on Manitoulin Island and it does a marvellous job on many things.  Here I have a Breville Smart Oven  which also does marvellous things but dammit-- it can't make toast like that from the CSO.:)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Received an email from Spinzall last night, even though they only made it to 70% of their funding goal they were able to negotiate a smaller production run from the factory and will proceed with manufacturing.  I guess I bought me a centrifuge!

• Like 2

I had a really hard time getting excited about pea butter, I must admit.  What the hell I'm still having a hard time getting excited about it.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I had a really hard time getting excited about pea butter, I must admit.  What the hell I'm still having a hard time getting excited about it.

Me, too.  I watched the "Life of a Chef" segment last night that featured peas and beans from North Carolina, and was actually a little grossed out by the pea butter topping on a steak.  Maybe my my svelte Icelandic au pair will put a blindfold on me, and feed me pea butter so I can judge fairly without looking?  

• Haha 1

I'm looking forward to spinning cheery puree, we have cherries (from our tree) but they foam up like CRAZY when I add them to coke. :)  I wasn't confident this was going to be funded, so I'm pretty glad they are still making it.

Edited by Raamo (log)

2 minutes ago, Raamo said:

I'm looking forward to spinning cheery puree, we have cherries (from our tree) but they foam up like CRAZY when I add them to coke. :)  I wasn't confident this was going to be funded, so I'm pretty glad they are still making it.

I have no difficulty being very happy for those who truly want one.   It's just one kitchen toy that has zero appeal for me. But I'll be happy to see what all of you do that I haven't even thought of!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog