• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Internship and Stage Horror/success Stories

nonkeyman

I had trouble getting my bakers to roll things to the correct thickness, so I bought strips of square dowelling at various thicknesses and had them use those as rolling guides (the dough goes between the sticks, at a spacing that matches your widest rolling pin). It works until they get the hang of it, and then afterwards as a quick self-check. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

those are great aren't they!  You've made me realize that I told her about the elastic bands we have for the rolling pins,and told her where I thought they were stores, but I bet they weren't in the drawer.  I"m going to look for them tomorrow to see if they've been squirreled away.  The squared dowels would work well and be easier to keep track of ;)!! We roll cookie dough between sheets of parchment so we can just put them on sheet pans and take out  however many sheets we need and those would be far easier to use.  Have you seen that Do-Board contraption? That's big bucks for a toy you can mimic easily and for a lot less!