• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My annual problem/opportunity--too many limes

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Remember my problem last year--too many limes? Well, our tree is once again heavy with fruit and I'm finding new ways to use them. The latest--Lime Curd. Here's the recipe I used, which eliminates many of the technical problems of traditional methods:

3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter at room temperature

1 c. sugar

2 large eggs

2 egg yolks

2/3 c. fresh lime juice

1 tsp. grated lime rind

Here's where this method departs from the traditional--

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the eggs and yolks, and beat for another minute. Mix in the lime juice. The mixture will look curdled but it will smooth out when it cooks.

In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan cook the mixture over low heat until it looks smooth--the curdled appearance disappears when the butter melts. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes (I needed only about half that). It should leave a track on the back of a spoon and read 170 on a thermometer. Do not let it boil, especially toward the end.

Remove the curd from the heat and stir in lime rind. Pour into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator.You may want to press plastic wrap on the surface to keep a skin from forming, though opinions differ as to whether it's necessary. Makes about 2 cups.

I just made a batch of this and it worked perfectly. It's absolutely delicious, and I will have to make myself stop dipping into the bowl. The bulk of the curd will go into the freezer but I've kept out about a third for fresh use.

Now, can I use this lime curd in a pie? I'm making a blackberry pie with walnut crumble tomorrow for Thanksgiving on Thursday and wonder if a thin-ish layer of lime curd under the berries would be good. What say you, eGulleteers? I don't want to make the crust soggy, though. Personally I think those 2 flavors are made for each other.

Thanks for any ideas--you guys are the best.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

If the dessert would lend itself to a creamy topping - why not whip some cream, fold together with some curd - and put a nice big dollop on each serving.

When I was a child, my grandpa's cook made a sponge cake, cut it into thin layers, barely half an inch thick, spread each layer with lemon curd, dotted with raspberries then topped it with lemon curd, raspberries, and toasted almonds.

It was about 5 layers, as I recall, was chilled for a couple of hours, wrapped with wax paper which was fastened or taped so it would stay in place.

It made a spectacular presentation and was delicious.  I think the sponge cake was flavored, maybe with almond.

I don't know why it wouldn't work with lime curd.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanksgiving has come and gone and I want to report on the use of lime curd in a blackberry pie. I received many compliments on the pie, and everyone commented on the unexpected flavor that they couldn't identify. In short, it was a success. I made sure to get a piece for myself--which is often difficult with so many people crowded around the dessert table--and decided that it would be a good option when making pies. I imagine it would work in many fruit pies, like apple or cherry or even blueberry.

And Andie, thanks for that idea. I'm not much of a cake baker but I'll certainly give that a try. A roulade would also be nice.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"