• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "Deep Run Roots" by Vivian Howard

blue_dolphin

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

They look delicious. They ain’t sausage rolls. xDxDxD

Oops!  I read sausage rolls and now I see sausage balls. Carry-on.

Heavens NO they ain't sausage rolls.  They have CHEESE in them.

xD

*see the sausage roll thread for more on the dreaded addition of cheese.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Heavens NO they ain't sausage rolls.  They have CHEESE in them.

xD

*see the sausage roll thread for more on the dreaded addition of cheese.

I know. I know. That’s where my dander went right up.  No pastry AND CHEESE! What is this world coming to?   But so long as they’re only sausage balls....

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They look delicious. They ain’t sausage rolls. xDxDxD

Oops!  I read sausage rolls and now I see sausage balls. Carry-on.

I thought of you, @Anna N, and your potential reaction to the cheese when I wrote this and should have included a sausage roll disclaimer xD.

No, sausage rolls, they are not.

Still tasty, though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I will confess to being somewhat ashamed Saturday morning when I made Little Smokies in crescent roll dough (hey, for canned stuff, it ain't bad) for the kids. I knew Anna would frown at me.

5a8a19c5898d8_littlesmokes.thumb.jpg.2d137f8d0d03a41adb208aacadda7bac.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I will confess to being somewhat ashamed Saturday morning when I made Little Smokies in crescent roll dough (hey, for canned stuff, it ain't bad) for the kids. I knew Anna would frown at me.

Nothing wrong with “little Smokies in crescent roll dough” compare with “sausage rolls” — see the difference?xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this meal over in the schnitzel topic but since two of the dishes are from Deep Run Roots, I thought I'd add it here as well.

Vivian serves these two sides,  Apple Mustard and Charred Cabbage Apple Slaw p 503 with whole trout.  Recipe are available online at this link. I had some whole fish caught by friends that I planned to use here but I decided they would be better companions to some pork.  They'd also be good with chicken.

IMG_7219.thumb.jpg.38afae903e6533bb5e3af5226b09959c.jpg
The Apple Mustard is a kicked up apple butter.  I posted about it above as Vivian also recommends it as a condiment with the sausage balls.   I highly recommend it. The recipe calls for a modest amount of dijon mustard.  I might up that or add some dry mustard to increase  the mustard flavor but it's very nice as is.

I'm glad I tried the charred cabbage slaw. It's got an interesting mix of flavors and textures.  The the charred edges are pleasantly sweet and the rest of the cabbage is partially cooked but not completely tender.  That's going to vary depending on how hot your pan is (she says "medium high") and how thick the wedges are.  The red onions are lightly pickled in a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey that dresses the salad at the end.  I'm not sure I'd make it again - certainly not for a crowd as it's a bit of a nuisance to char all that cabbage - and I don't think it looks all that attractive.  Still, it was a good side dish for the pork.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link to recipes (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

• 4 months later...

While putting up some sweet corn from the garden I was toying with using the cobs for something.  @rotuts and @ElsieD both suggested a broth--rotuts reminded me of Vivian's Corn Stock located on pg. 232 of the cookbook.

Using some of the inner husks would have never occurred to me.  I didn't use any salt or anything to season it--I'll do that when I thaw it out and use it.  It's very corny and good though :)

IMG_4876.jpg.522ae30f1da15a6eceafe8bbcdebb100.jpg

IMG_4884.JPG.18dc67a326b4a4530ba719d0b2957ec6.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Id chill or Fz that broth

rather than reduce it

use it aging for he next batch of cobs

I hav no idea if this works

Ive done it with the iPot for stock

I used that #1 rendition e times now

for the water next time

I salt at the ver end  :  gravy etc.

Soooo Sweet

in the winter 

@  So Cold

etc 

for some Corn Chower ( using the Fz kernels )  w some 

fathers Hock Meat.

did you freeze some peas ?

to put in then end  non cooked but heated through w the Soup ?

money-mouth.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

Id chill or Fz that broth

rather than reduce it

use it aging for he next batch of cobs

I hav no idea if this works

Ive done it with the iPot for stock

I used that #1 rendition e times now

for the water next time

I salt at the ver end  :  gravy etc.

Soooo Sweet

in the winter 

@  So Cold

etc 

for some Corn Chower ( using the Fz kernels )  w some 

fathers Hock Meat.

did you freeze some peas ?

to put in then end  non cooked but heated through w the Soup ?

money-mouth.gif

Good plan :)  I don't have my own frozen peas, but I do have some and always do.  I didn't reduce it much--the pic I showed wasn't half of what I have.  

Last night I made two of Vivian's recipes:

Everyday Cucumbers found on pg. 246

This really shouldn't even count lol.  I make these all the time--long before I ever got her book.  I highly recommend this.  I keep them in the fridge all summer long and just add to it.

IMG_4899.JPG.9a2db3e705d1b388d1e1f24c1efa9fbf.JPG

Then, having just cut a bunch of corn off of the cob to freeze, I decided to make the

Summer Vegetable Scallion Pancakes found on pg. 406

Again, we really really liked these.  I've made zucchini fritters before--but these go another level up.  The "goo" from the okra really does hold it all together--not slimy at all once they are fried.  I did add a bit of ground black pepper.

The batter

IMG_4898.JPG.dc033cf4bad8736f4dbd11785d7b6b29.JPG

You bite into one and immediately get a burst of fresh, sweet corn that is nicely balanced by the onion and the dash of hot sauce.  They are also good right after coming in from the garden, straight out of the fridge.

IMG_4900.JPG.2f145cada1cad3ff7e5c320627ca4e60.JPG

• Like 8

re charred cabbage-

Tasty stuff.. sweet and nutty flavor.

I make mine on a sheet pan at 400F. Turn once to char  caramelize both sides.

Smaller cabbage wedges work better because there is a lower % stem in them. Just cut out the wedge of stem. And maybe peel off the outer leaf after cooking.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I really think I'm gonna have to get this cookbook.  

Also, if I haven't mentioned it already, Shelby I really need to come over to your house soon.

You REALLY need to.  Especially in summer when the veggies are so good.  

Well,  I appreciate that...if you come then we are both going to get right back in the car and go to @blue_dolphin 's house--her cooking always makes me drool

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm prepared to make ALL THE ROUNDS. 

I'll bring my tent, y'all don't have to put me up. 

And -- I take direction,  do dishes AND mop.  

But back on topic:  I'm picking up this book this weekend.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, SLB said:

I'm prepared to make ALL THE ROUNDS. 

I'll bring my tent, y'all don't have to put me up. 

And -- I take direction,  do dishes AND mop.  

But back on topic:  I'm picking up this book this weekend.  

The mopping may have sealed the deal 😛😂

• Haha 2

@Shelby those zucchini fritters look delicious. Do you think they would still be good without the corn? I'm not sure that we are getting good corn yet but I have plenty of zucchini's and I think I can find okra.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, curls said:

@Shelby those zucchini fritters look delicious. Do you think they would still be good without the corn? I'm not sure that we are getting good corn yet but I have plenty of zucchini's and I think I can find okra.

I think they would still work.  I make a zucchini fritter that has feta cheese in it and was thinking about mixing in the chopped okra.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I think they would still work.  I make a zucchini fritter that has feta cheese in it and was thinking about mixing in the chopped okra.  

Thanks Shelby!

On 7/9/2018 at 6:08 PM, Shelby said:

While putting up some sweet corn from the garden I was toying with using the cobs for something.  @rotuts and @ElsieD both suggested a broth--rotuts reminded me of Vivian's Corn Stock located on pg. 232 of the cookbook.

Using some of the inner husks would have never occurred to me.  I didn't use any salt or anything to season it--I'll do that when I thaw it out and use it.  It's very corny and good though :)

IMG_4876.jpg.522ae30f1da15a6eceafe8bbcdebb100.jpg

IMG_4884.JPG.18dc67a326b4a4530ba719d0b2957ec6.JPG

That's a great idea!  I've never made corn stock, but I use the denuded cobs to flavor the liquid in my corn chowder.  It is amazing how much flavor that adds.  I would freeze all our leftover cobs all summer, but they are gnawed on and I don't think anyone would appreciate gnawed cob stock.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

That's a great idea!  I've never made corn stock, but I use the denuded cobs to flavor the liquid in my corn chowder.  It is amazing how much flavor that adds.  I would freeze all our leftover cobs all summer, but they are gnawed on and I don't think anyone would appreciate gnawed cob stock.

What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

wow

good idea !

however

after serious gnawing

I can't imagine any Deliciousness Left.

I wasn't thinking of those obsessive folks who bite through poultry bones and suck out the marrow, but the bones that are left after most people simply eat the meat off them have plenty of stuff left to contribute to a stock pot. 

• Delicious 1