• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Tonight I tried the recipe for Turnip Run-Ups in Parmesan Pot Liquor with Ricotta Cornmeal Dumplings and Tomato Jam

IMG_4750.thumb.jpg.aced1a19390f44d1cebcd3828aec03e7.jpg

Run-ups are apparently a sort of fresh springtime green that sprouts up from turnip plants left in the ground over the winter.  I believe these come from a type of turnip common to the Eastern NC area which just produces greens, no big ol' root bulb. 

Since run-ups aren't a thing here in So Cal, I made do with regular turnip greens, a recommended substitution.  The broth is made by caramelizing onions and simmering them with Parmesan rinds and a few seasonings.

I followed the recipe and used a 2 oz scoop for the ricotta cornmeal dumplings.  They are fine, they puffed up a bit during cooking and are nice and light but next time, I will use a smaller scoop. 

The recipe includes what Vivian describes as a "bare bones" tomato jam and she says to feel free to add herbs, onions or spices to make a more complex condiment so I used a spoonful of homemade tomato chutney instead.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Tonight I tried the recipe for Turnip Run-Ups in Parmesan Pot Liquor with Ricotta Cornmeal Dumplings and Tomato Jam

IMG_4750.thumb.jpg.aced1a19390f44d1cebcd3828aec03e7.jpg

Run-ups are apparently a sort of fresh springtime green that sprouts up from turnip plants left in the ground over the winter.  I believe these come from a type of turnip common to the Eastern NC area which just produces greens, no big ol' root bulb. 

Since run-ups aren't a thing here in So Cal, I made due with regular turnip greens, a recommended substitution.  The broth is made by caramelizing onions and simmering them with Parmesan rinds and a few seasonings.

I followed the recipe and used a 2 oz scoop for the ricotta cornmeal dumplings.  They are fine, they puffed up a bit during cooking and are nice and light but next time, I will use a smaller scoop. 

The recipe includes what Vivian describes as a "bare bones" tomato jam and she says to feel free to add herbs, onions or spices to make a more complex condiment so I used a spoonful of homemade tomato chutney instead.