• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Gold pots are my standard. They mash well (Heston prefers them)...gratin well...and pan fry well.   I find russets too mealy/starchy for much other than a baked potato.  

For potato salad I’ll use red or gold pots. I think reds stay firmer which is a virtue in pot salad. Sometimes I’ll boil with a little vinegar to firm up the pectin. 

I actually sometimes enjoy using russets for potato salad; I like the creaminess they bring. Depends what type of potato salad I'm looking to make.

I'm pretty sure it's how older generations always made potato salad, as it was the one potato one could find.  Then I read this piece (which is behind a bit of a wall), tried them, and really liked the way the potato salad came out.

weinoo

weinoo

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Gold pots are my standard. They mash well (Heston prefers them)...gratin well...and pan fry well.   I find russets too mealy/starchy for much other than a baked potato.  

For potato salad I’ll use red or gold pots. I think reds stay firmer which is a virtue in pot salad. Sometimes I’ll boil with a little vinegar to firm up the pectin. 

I actually sometimes enjoy using russets for potato salad; I like the creaminess they bring. Depends what type of potato salad I'm looking to make.