• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does reheating sous vide ribs and duck legs at high temp in oven dry it out?

torolover

I have some 12 hour 165F sous vide pork ribs and 10 hour 180F sous vide duck confit in the fridge.

I plan on reheating these sous vide meats in the oven during Thanksgiving.  If I reheat them in a 400F oven and take them out when the internal temperature is 150F, will it dry out the meat?  Is it better to take the meat out when internal temperature is 130F so less moisture will be lost?

I figured since the meats have already been at 165F and 180F in the past, reheating them close to that temp shouldn't matter for moisture lost.  Am I wrong?

I don't plan on reheating by sous vide because I plan on searing the meats before putting in oven.

Thanks!

I wouldn't do it. Great chance to dry out some of it because the surface will get way hotter than the temp it was cooked at.

Why not have the oven at 150?

But I can't see a reason why you couldn't sear then pop into a bag and put in the SV unit to reheat.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

I wouldn't do it. Great chance to dry out some of it because the surface will get way hotter than the temp it was cooked at.

Why not have the oven at 150?

But I can't see a reason why you couldn't sear then pop into a bag and put in the SV unit to reheat.

I don't want to sear the ribs first and then SV to reheat it, because the crust will get soggy.  I don't have time to sear 10 pounds of meat after reheating by SV either. 

The reason I'm using a 400F oven is because I plan on roasting veggies in the oven.  I don't have time to roast veggies first, and then roast the ribs and duck legs separately.

I understand the surface of the meat may get hotter then 150F, but not by much right?   Perhaps I should take out the ribs and duck legs at 130F?  That way most of the meat will still be under 150F?

Edited by torolover (log)

11 hours ago, torolover said:

I figured since the meats have already been at 165F and 180F in the past, reheating them close to that temp shouldn't matter for moisture lost.  Am I wrong?

I don't like to say it, but I think you may be wrong.  It's a different sort of heat - a dry-heat evaporating one.

If you take meat from the fridge at 39 degrees F and put it in an oven at 400 F, it's going to take a long time for the middle to get to 150.  In the meantime, the outside of the is going to get well beyond 150.

You've just undone your sous vide.

Instead, I think you need to forget about the 150 F internal goal.  130 should be fine for properly pasteurized (via sous vide), properly chilled meat.  You're probably looking for some Maillard reaction, which is good, but do it as quickly as possible with high heat of some sort. Perhaps direct flame, a hot grill, or an oven set at 550.

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 1

I originally bought a SV to reheat smoked pork and other bbq in a controlled fashion.  It's just about the only way I reheat anything now.

Could you not reheat in SV bags, then open up and put them on a sheet pan and into your already  400F oven to sear?  5 min in oven and only 10 min active time.  I'll be doing this with turkey legs confit on Thurs.

• Like 1

If you watch the internal temp carefully they should be fine, you just wouldn't want to leave the meats in the hot oven too long. Searing will warm them considerably, it shouldn't take too much more heat to get them warmed through to the middle. 

I reheat SV ribs all the time, and the best way,  IMO,  is to fire up the SV to 145 and just drop them in ,  then once reheated, take them out of the bag, pat dry, then put under the broiler, or on the grill, to crisp,  then add sauce, and put under the broiler or grill a few more minutes