• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey, Boneless Bonuses

dcarch

Everyone is making turkey, a thousand methods, a million recipes. 

This is how I prepare my turkey to deal with a few typical issues.

I tunnel-bone the bird;   removing all the bones from the bird, while leaving the meat and skin intact, 

This allows:

1. Shorter cooking time. Better thermal conduction of a very large piece of very cold meat.

2. Safer for stuffing to be cooked inside the bird.

3. No need to scoop out the stuffing for messy serving.

4. Much better for the seasonings to permeate into the meat.

5. Better Norman Rockwell aesthetics on the table comparing to spachcocking the bird into separate parts.

6. A ton of bones to make gravy. So long College Inn!

7. More elegant for serving. No need to deal with cutting into bones.

Tunnel boning without damaging the meat and skin does not require a lot of skills. 

Have you done this before? What are your unique ways?

dcarch

18 lbs

boneless turkey 2016 c.jpg

All bones removed in one piece

boneless turkey 2016 b.jpg

The back

boneless turkey 2016 a.jpg

And the front

boneless turkey 2016.JPG

Edited by Smithy
Corrected misspelling in title (log)
  • Like 6

interesting way to do it.  when I did Thanksgiving dinner I did it this way :

Turkey Done.jpg

ive posted this method before  .  Modified  Jacques & Julia.  I got rid of more bones that she did .  

money-mouth.gif

only the legs and wings have bones. for the Serial Gnawers

why do i prefer this method ?  the amount of stuffing the bird rests on is almost infinite  .  just use turkey stock you make the day before in your mix.

Thankgtiving is all about the Stuffing.     and of crouse  the gravy you make to go on the stuffing.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Have you done this before?

Yes — turkey a couple times  — chicken, many times.

Seems the older I get, the lazier I get — now I usually just split the turkey in half.

This year I think I'll 'roast' one half (served on a bed on dressing) and cure/smoke the other half.

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

try the J & J method

I've done it that way too a few times.

For reference: 

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

that's the starting point , for sure.

just get rid of more bones , and make more stuffing and put the completely boned out breast(s) and thighs on top of the stuffing.

don't worry that it doesn't look too much like a turkey any more.   you've worked hard , and you're hungry and ready  to dig in.

Here is a problem.

I made stock with all the bones and giblets. Amazing flavor. It will make the most fantastic stuffing.

Now I will need to make three times more stuffing. Everyone will ask for more and more and to have some to take home!  :rolleyes: :laugh:

dcarch

• Like 2

not a problem.  an opportunity.  all restaurants and fine eating establishments , including my home  make stuffing out of the bird

using just the stuff you have on hand.   the deconstructed turkey allow you to put the boneless ( mostly ) bird on top of that heap

as big as you want.  one oven , and it cooks quicker that way rather than in a cavity.

it is shameful that our former Pal  , PedroG , didn't smuggle in a few of those ElectroLux  Steam ovens for us.  fine.  just for me.

think about how that Turk-on-the-Stuffing would taste with a CombiOven

maybe even @Anna N would move into The Light.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

not a problem.  an opportunity.  all restaurants and fine eating establishments , including my home  make stuffing out of the bird

using just the stuff you have on hand.   the deconstructed turkey allow you to put the boneless ( mostly ) bird on top of that heap

as big as you want.  one oven , and it cooks quicker that way rather than in a cavity.

it is shameful that our former Pal  , PedroG , didn't smuggle in a few of those ElectroLux  Steam ovens for us.  fine.  just for me.

think about how that Turk-on-the-Stuffing would taste with a CombiOven

maybe even @Anna N would move into The Light.

Stuffing yea. Turkey nay. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

sometime intelligent and creative people just can't seem to see past the end of their nose.

just saying.

smile.gif

Truer words were never spoken. Just saying.xD

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

There will be stuffing of chestnuts, shiitake mushrooms, black garlic, wild rice, etc.

Pomegranate glaze on crispy turkey skin.

dcarch 

Show off!!! ;)

xD

19 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Show off!!! ;)

xD

No. No show off so far.

Here come the show off part: :B:D

When you roast a regular turkey, the top always gets burnt before the rest is crispy up. With a boneless turkey, the top is more flattened than a regular one, so a lot more skin will get browned better.

dcarch

• Like 1