• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aluminum Mixer Problem

EsaK

I recently got an old Kenwood mixer, and with it two attachments, the K-beater and the wirewhisk. The whisk seems to be made of stainless steel, so it looks quite alright. But the K-beater is I believe aluminum, and doesn't look too fine. When touched, you get the aluminum in your hands. I googled through but got such a mixed bag of opinions that I decided to ask here.

Is that beater beyond redemption, or can it be saved and used safely? And if yes, then how should I go about redeeming it? 

K-Beater.jpg

It used to be coated with something (I don't remember what, but I've had a few of these attachments and the coating does wear off), and when that happens, I have always replaced them instantly. If stuff comes off the attachment when touching it, it will probably also come off in the food - and I don't want to eat whatever it is.

You can get new attachments made of stainless steel (I've seen both the old coated aluminum and new stainless steel attachments sold individually on Amazon) and they are really nice. I haven't used them in an old Kenwood, but I was told by the Kenwood customer services that they would fit my old Major.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, I have a herring problem said:

It used to be coated with something (I don't remember what, but I've had a few of these attachments and the coating does wear off), and when that happens, I have always replaced them instantly. If stuff comes off the attachment when touching it, it will probably also come off in the food - and I don't want to eat whatever it is.

It's aluminum oxide.  If you eat a restaurant, you're going to be eating aluminum oxide, bare aluminum is universal in kitchens, and it all oxidizes.  It's ugly, but pretty well biologically inert. 

4 hours ago, I have a herring problem said:

It used to be coated with something (I don't remember what, but I've had a few of these attachments and the coating does wear off), -------------

Take it to a shop and have it hard anodized.

You may try to do it yourself, if you are a DIY guy.

dcarch

Thank you all for the replies! I was hoping there would've been a relavatively simple way (cream of tartar is one of the ingredients that's somehow incredibly hard to find and expensive in this part of the world) to get this safely back to use, but I suppose I'll just go and get a new stainless steel one. It's a shame they cost $50 here, but I just don't want to throw the whole machine away since it seems to work fine..

Find an engineering company that does powder coating in your area. You should find some via Google. Let them sand blast it and then powder coat it. You will have what all the opposition manufactures do and it wall last for many years. And it will cost next to nothing.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

15 hours ago, dcarch said:

Take it to a shop and have it hard anodized.

You may try to do it yourself, if you are a DIY guy.

dcarch

To properly hard anodize aluminum (so that it works), you need to know what type of aluminum it's made from, and I doubt that you will be able to easily find out.

Enamel would be a better option, but it might be hard to find someone who could do that. I think replacing it is your best bet.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA