• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Jacksoup

Kitchen Remodel starting now

On 1/26/2017 at 7:50 PM, gfweb said:

Half the cabinets are in and so is the stove. Finally there's fire in the kitchen again.

Big oven. Takes a full sheet pan and could cook a small flock of chickens. Nice hot burners that simmer well too.

015.jpg

Which model of Blue Star did you choose?

Also, looking at the pictures you've posted I can't figure out where your refrigerator is relative to your sink and stove.

Your finished kitchen is nothing less than amazing.

• Like 1

Thanks @Porthos

Which Bluestar? The cheapest! BlueStar Culinary Series RCS366BV2. Open burners, so crud falls into a tray underneath. About 1/2 the price of a Wolf and 2/3 of a Viking or GE. Made locally and has great reviews. Feels solid.

I love it. It takes some getting used to; the burners are hot. The old Vulcan it turns out was wimpy.

The fridge is opposite the fireplace. In the above photo it is behind me and to my left.

• Like 3

@gfweb  When you move into the realm of the likes of Blue Star, you chose the least expensive. :D

• Like 1

That kitchen looks gorgeous, and looks like it will be a pleasure for cooking and visiting.  Congratulations, @gfweb!

• Like 2

One addition to the kitchen.  Finally found a utility cart at IKEA to house the CSO and Instant Pot.  Now they're off the countertop and everything looks cleaner.  I collect aprons as souvenirs and decided to hang them up behind the CSO.  I know fire hazard.  Will roll the cart out to use the CSO.  Just got a new apron from Silver Oak winery in Napa this weekend.  Some others are from Paris, London, Cinque Terre, Culinary Institute in Napa, Florence, Telluride and Salty's Restaurant in Seattle.

IMG_1274.JPG

• Like 12

@Jacksoup

Nice.  Love the idea of collecting aprons although mine are all utilitarian and very plain.  That utility cart appears perfect for the IP and the CSO. I would be lying if I didn't say I was the tiniest bit jealous  or if I failed to mention that I am looking at the kitchen cart that my IP sits on which will not accommodate a CSO as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

One addition to the kitchen.  Finally found a utility cart at IKEA to house the CSO and Instant Pot.  Now they're off the countertop and everything looks cleaner.  I collect aprons as souvenirs and decided to hang them up behind the CSO.  I know fire hazard.  Will roll the cart out to use the CSO.  Just got a new apron from Silver Oak winery in Napa this weekend.  Some others are from Paris, London, Cinque Terre, Culinary Institute in Napa, Florence, Telluride and Salty's Restaurant in Seattle.

IMG_1274.JPG

The aprons are a great decoration idea. I have one from the TVfoodnetwork.

Why the TV is mounted so high? Could cause a pain in the neck.

dcarch

Posted (edited)

@dcarch

I will let @Jacksoupanswer for herself but my "kitchen" TV is at a similar height.  It's not a TV I sit down to watch long programs on. It's a TV I glance up at every once in a while.  Putting it that high keeps it out of the way of splatters  and other potential kitchen disasters. If I want to sit down and enjoy a program this would not be the TV of choice.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

@gfweb.... DUDE!!!!   I just saw your pics...we've got the same BlueStar !      I think I ended up with a 17" backsplash on it. 

It is absolutely a BEAST for cooking!!   Seems to boil water in half the time of the old stove. Especially the front left burner- which I assume is the dominant one. 

They had to use 4 people, plus an air jack to install it. Its built like a tank.   Your kitchen looks lovely, btw! 

Congrats!!!! 

• Like 3

@ChocoMom Highly cool. This range is a beast. I love it.... boils so quick.  Makes the big old Vulcan look like an EasyBake. But if I have any complaint is that the low setting on the non-simmer burners is still too hot eg for scrambling eggs. And the broiler is nuclear hot. I incinerated some polenta the other day.

But I'm learning.

• Like 3

I have a Wolf gas stove top and the lowest setting is low BUT only in one spot so I don't feel it cooks very evenly.  I bought a heavy duty diffuser for use on this low setting and it works fantastically well.  I use it with my clay pots also.

• Like 3

@dcarch  @Anna N   Anna is correct, I don't watch entire shows on this TV.  It's not a bad angle because I'm looking at it while standing up.  Also it has a Pandora app, a lot of the use is for music

• Like 1

On 20/03/2017 at 7:32 AM, Anna N said:

@Jacksoup

Nice.  Love the idea of collecting aprons although mine are all utilitarian and very plain.  

Yeah, mine too. I have dozens but seldom think to wear one unless I'm cooking or baking with a little person. My clothes, in consequence, usually get blue-bagged because of cooking stains and oily spots rather than wearing out. 

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

...But if I have any complaint is that the low setting on the non-simmer burners is still too hot eg for scrambling eggs. And the broiler is nuclear hot. I incinerated some polenta the other day.

21 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have a Wolf gas stove top and the lowest setting is low BUT only in one spot so I don't feel it cooks very evenly.  I bought a heavy duty diffuser for use on this low setting and it works fantastically well.  I use it with my clay pots also.

gfweb, I was going to suggest a diffuser, as well. It should work to slightly lower the heat of your lowest setting.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yeah, mine too. I have dozens but seldom think to wear one unless I'm cooking or baking with a little person. My clothes, in consequence, usually get blue-bagged because of cooking stains and oily spots rather than wearing out. 

I almost exclusively wear t-shirts, mostly with logos or saying on them. For some reason I don't like wearing aprons when doing my ren faire cooking, which includes making up the sanitizing bleach water. When a t-shirt of mine gets stained, it goes into a drawer of my "faire shirts" about which I don't care if they get more stains.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah
    • By pmilas
      HI guys,

I'm here for a bit of advice. We are building a house (in Croatia, Europe), and finally have a chance to build a kitchen as i want it
      We would like to get a professional combi oven, something like this new Rational (a bit pricey) or this UNOX (better price) so that we have a long term solution for our needs.
      The reason we are going for the professional oven is that, for example UNOX, is cheaper than "home combi ovens" from brands like Miele, Gaggenau, etc. and are much better than those.

Does anyone have any experience with pro combis at home? i have only seen a couple of people, at least on the internet, that have them at home. I guess that setup would not be a problem, because we designed a water inlet and outlet for the oven, and the voltage is OK. is there anything we didnt think of? Will that oven have higher maintananace cost, even if its used only couple of days a week?

Thanks for help

P
    • By teapot
      Thanks to the  good folks on Egullet, I will be installing a 36" induction cooktop into my new kitchen. But I am really stumped as to what hood to purchase.  Since induction does not produce the heat and vapor gas does, it does not require high power.  The problem is I'm not able to check these units out in person so am at the mercy of wildly divergent online reviews. Please help!  

I'm looking for undercabinet with  400 - 600 cfm. Good light. Reasonably quiet and quietly attractive.  Budget in the $400 - 600. Would love to hear from induction owners about what works for them.

• By curls
      Looking for your opinions and experiences... I am planning to put some wire shelving in my chocolate & confections kitchen. The kitchen has a concrete floor. This shelving will hold ingredients, colored cocoa butters, and packaging. Wondering if I should get casters for this shelving... what are your thoughts on this oh so important question?  ;-)
    • By fisherPete
      I have a 90 year old house.  When I bought it, the kitchen was a 1965 remodel.  It was broken and dysfunctional, but the light bulb .... yes, one light bulb ... worked well. 

I did almost all the work myself, from design to finding appliances to designing and commissioning cabinets to making the counters.  The marmolium floors are awesome.  The PaperStone counters are temperature tolerant to 380ºF and feel like soapstone, but I was able to cut them with woodworking tools.

Before ... yes, that's a Litton MicroRange ... Ugh!

But a couple months and few dollars later, I have a place I love working in.

Lots of new outlets.  Massive counter space.  What isn't shown is the mobile cutting board I built on top of an old French baker's table, which normally sits between the fridge and the sink. 

Of course, the counters are full of stuff now: coffee roaster, bean grinder, drip brewer, sous vide, knife block, ... the usuals.