• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

My kitchen renovation started a few days ago. 30 year old kitchen was just beat to crap. Had to go. We put it off for two years with creative indecisiveness.

Here's the old kitchen, emptied of all but dog toys.

031.jpg

Kitchen with a fireplace! BBQ in the new kitchen:rolleyes:

If the hood is working and the fireplace is going at the sametime, makeup air design is very important so you don't recirculate CO into the living area.

dcarch

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

somebodies Dog has a lot of toys

nice

I like this one

toy.jpg

That is Henry's current favorite as well. You have good taste in dog toys, @rotuts

Why so many? Henry is a chewing monster. Its either the toys or the furniture.... ;-)

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Kitchen with a fireplace! BBQ in the new kitchen:rolleyes:

If the hood is working and the fireplace is going at the sametime, makeup air design is very important so you don't recirculate CO into the living area.

dcarch

House is so leaky I don't think make up will be an issue. 8 fireplaces with imperfect flues...

We used to cook in the FP when the kids were young. An interesting exercise.

• Like 5

Curious to know if you have sourced a new range to replace the Vulcan. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And do you plan to go with another monster of similar size, or something more like what is in most houses?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

33 minutes ago, kayb said:

Just please tell me the stone wall next to the fireplace is being kept. Love that.

Yup. Wouldn't touch it. It has all the cranes etc for cooking in it.

40 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

And do you plan to go with another monster of similar size, or something more like what is in most houses?

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The Vulcan came wit the house...just way too big. A 6 burner Blue Star is the replacement. Hot burners, giant oven, locally made at a decent price.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

When my kids were little, we used to do "Indoor campfires" in the fireplace. We'd cook hot dogs on sticks, and toast marshmallows. The neighbour kids always came over to join us for those nights. :)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

House is so leaky I don't think make up will be an issue. 8 fireplaces with imperfect flues...

Better check your local Code.

You may not be able to sell your house if there is a Code requiring proper makeup air for the hood.

dcarch

4 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Better check your local Code.

You may not be able to sell your house if there is a Code requiring proper makeup air for the hood.

dcarch

Good advice. Thanks.  FWIW we bought the house with a stove that wasn't code...who knew?

The code is a little vague and apparently gives allowances for ancient homes.

In any event we aren't going to have a monster hood. It will be under the "official" cfm rating for stove size which seems to be determined by what's required if all burners are going full-tilt. Which won't ever happen; this ain't a restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Just please tell me the stone wall next to the fireplace is being kept. Love that.

Oh yeah. That's about 2 ft of fieldstone. It is going nowhere. But there will be a counter and cabinets over part of it.

We really need the space.

• Like 1

I bet the 6 x BlueStar is going to not only LookGood in the New Kitchen , but be a pleasure to use.

I looked them over.  my space is a 4 burner , but no matter

Imagine HowSweet life would be if BlueStar made a 4 burner w a well made Combi under those burners ?

a 6 burner w a Combi the size of the 4 and a smaller  ' 2 burner ' over next to it , for baking  say  bread ? on a Stone ?

• Like 1

Floor tile is in and grouted.  Backsplash is grouted.  Some sloppiness which my son, the overseer pointed out.  Also he found a couple of imperfections in the cabinet work so contractor came by tonight and will replace.  Also had a cat inspection.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

• Like 16

A CAT scan can pick up subtle flaws undetected by the human eye...

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Henry saying goodby to the Vulcan. Amazing how cruddy the wall in back of the stove got.  That worthless hood is gone too. Fan was a bathroom exhaust thing... about 60 cfm if the wind wasn't blowing.

0025.jpg

Demo complete except the floor, which happens today

003.jpg

Electrical will be done today too. New lighting,  new circuits for CSOs etc. No hanging lamp for me to hit my head on.

006 (2).jpg

• Like 11

Wow, they are sure working fast.  What kind of floor are you putting in or did I miss that upthread?

@Jacksoup  I really like that backsplash.  I am doing a bathroom/bedroom remodel as we speak.  I might need your son to inspect it! ;) 

@Shelby  the floor is offset rectangular tile. There is a photo upthread, it's a medium brown color.  Never thought of myself as a fan of brown decor but the backsplash steered me in that direction.  I'll happily send you my son if you send him home with venison!  He's very OCD about this project, while I'm more trusting and Pollyanna-Ish and believe all will be good.  Probably a good combination for this project.

• Like 1

@Jacksoup, looks like it's going to be a gorgeous kitchen! And I particularly like how you've matched the kitchen to the cat.

@gfweb, I NEVER want to see behind my stove, nor in the small crack between the stove and the cabinet. I shudder to think. Please keep pics coming!

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Jacksoup, looks like it's going to be a gorgeous kitchen! And I particularly like how you've matched the kitchen to the cat.

@gfweb, I NEVER want to see behind my stove, nor in the small crack between the stove and the cabinet. I shudder to think. Please keep pics coming!

You are NOT alone.  I'll add that I think under my fridge is also not a pretty sight.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You are NOT alone.  I'll add that I think under my fridge is also not a pretty sight.

I just recently had my stove replaced and while they were bringing the old one out to the truck, I was working double time with a broom, dust pan and mop on the empty space. Not pretty! Those guys must have some stories to tell.

HC

• Like 5

We have a running joke about what lurks between and under the stove and refrigerator.  We suspect that if things get tight and food is scarce, all we need to do is pull out the appliances and scrape the floor and walls.  We will be able to make enough soup to last us until the next pay day.  A good long boil should destroy all the nasties in the leftovers. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I just recently had my stove replaced and while they were bringing the old one out to the truck, I was working double time with a broom, dust pan and mop on the empty space. Not pretty! Those guys must have some stories to tell.

HC

When we had the fridge that came with the house replaced, underneath and the wall behind and the side of the fridge that had been against the cabinets were all REVOLTING. I have no idea what previous owners were up to, but the folks before us had multiple kids and possibly there was a food fight involved or something...

(The fridge was also seriously wedged in, so there was no chance anyone was going to remove it to clean behind or under - it took 3 big guys to get it moved forward a foot or so to get the dolly under it.)

• Like 2