• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

On 1/26/2017 at 7:50 PM, gfweb said:

Half the cabinets are in and so is the stove. Finally there's fire in the kitchen again.

Big oven. Takes a full sheet pan and could cook a small flock of chickens. Nice hot burners that simmer well too.

015.jpg

Which model of Blue Star did you choose?

Also, looking at the pictures you've posted I can't figure out where your refrigerator is relative to your sink and stove.

Your finished kitchen is nothing less than amazing.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Thanks @Porthos

Which Bluestar? The cheapest! BlueStar Culinary Series RCS366BV2. Open burners, so crud falls into a tray underneath. About 1/2 the price of a Wolf and 2/3 of a Viking or GE. Made locally and has great reviews. Feels solid.

I love it. It takes some getting used to; the burners are hot. The old Vulcan it turns out was wimpy.

The fridge is opposite the fireplace. In the above photo it is behind me and to my left.

• Like 3

That kitchen looks gorgeous, and looks like it will be a pleasure for cooking and visiting.  Congratulations, @gfweb!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

One addition to the kitchen.  Finally found a utility cart at IKEA to house the CSO and Instant Pot.  Now they're off the countertop and everything looks cleaner.  I collect aprons as souvenirs and decided to hang them up behind the CSO.  I know fire hazard.  Will roll the cart out to use the CSO.  Just got a new apron from Silver Oak winery in Napa this weekend.  Some others are from Paris, London, Cinque Terre, Culinary Institute in Napa, Florence, Telluride and Salty's Restaurant in Seattle.

IMG_1274.JPG

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

One addition to the kitchen.  Finally found a utility cart at IKEA to house the CSO and Instant Pot.  Now they're off the countertop and everything looks cleaner.  I collect aprons as souvenirs and decided to hang them up behind the CSO.  I know fire hazard.  Will roll the cart out to use the CSO.  Just got a new apron from Silver Oak winery in Napa this weekend.  Some others are from Paris, London, Cinque Terre, Culinary Institute in Napa, Florence, Telluride and Salty's Restaurant in Seattle.

IMG_1274.JPG

The aprons are a great decoration idea. I have one from the TVfoodnetwork.

Why the TV is mounted so high? Could cause a pain in the neck.

dcarch

@gfweb.... DUDE!!!!   I just saw your pics...we've got the same BlueStar !      I think I ended up with a 17" backsplash on it. 

It is absolutely a BEAST for cooking!!   Seems to boil water in half the time of the old stove. Especially the front left burner- which I assume is the dominant one. 

They had to use 4 people, plus an air jack to install it. Its built like a tank.   Your kitchen looks lovely, btw! 

Congrats!!!! 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@ChocoMom Highly cool. This range is a beast. I love it.... boils so quick.  Makes the big old Vulcan look like an EasyBake. But if I have any complaint is that the low setting on the non-simmer burners is still too hot eg for scrambling eggs. And the broiler is nuclear hot. I incinerated some polenta the other day.

But I'm learning.

• Like 3

I have a Wolf gas stove top and the lowest setting is low BUT only in one spot so I don't feel it cooks very evenly.  I bought a heavy duty diffuser for use on this low setting and it works fantastically well.  I use it with my clay pots also.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

...But if I have any complaint is that the low setting on the non-simmer burners is still too hot eg for scrambling eggs. And the broiler is nuclear hot. I incinerated some polenta the other day.

21 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have a Wolf gas stove top and the lowest setting is low BUT only in one spot so I don't feel it cooks very evenly.  I bought a heavy duty diffuser for use on this low setting and it works fantastically well.  I use it with my clay pots also.

gfweb, I was going to suggest a diffuser, as well. It should work to slightly lower the heat of your lowest setting.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver