• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

5 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

@gfweb  your kitchen looks fabulous. Am jealous of all the room and options.  My first meal was chicken piccata, mainly because I can do it well, ( Ithink)and my son loves it, mainly for the capers.  But made risotto in the Instant Pot, per the NYT IP article, am not convinced it's better than stove top, but it was quick.  Am still getting comfortable with the placement of dishes, utensils and pantry.  The more I am in my new kitchen I will probably arrange placement of stuff to be more functional 

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

Beautiful meal.  I love capers.

Your kitchen looks fabulous. Probably more counter space than we have. That big fireplace of ours steals a lot of space...but that's OK it is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

We moved into our own-designed house eleven years ago and I am still rearranging stuff in the kitchen9_9

My DW and I have been in our house for 32 years. About 15 years ago I decided to to a small bit of rearranging, and heard about it off and on for five years. BIggest issue was that the drawer we had chosen for the flatware interfered with the dishwasher. I swapped two drawers to make the flatware drawer access independent of the dishwasher.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Okanagancook LOL. Yes cleaning that SS backsplash was an issue in the planning discussions (over like three years). We shall see. There will be tile on either side of it.

Yes eating bar by the door (and also out of reach of Henry who is an incorrigible counter-surfer).

Yup. An electric one for the one who bakes stuff.  But I may start with bread again now that there's a decent oven.

CSO will be lateral to DW.

Soapstone counters.

Yes, a little sink that I'm not sure is needed, but there were strong feelings about it.

Pot rack on the stone wall is coming

Its taking for-frigging-ever, but we are happy with the work that the guys are doing.

I've been trying since last night to tell you that your kitchen is soooooooo beautiful.  (my computer is having a large argument with my router for some reason)

I have a little sink and I use it a ton.  I think you will too.

Trust me.  I am in the middle of a remodel and yours is not taking forever....mine is however lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The end is in sight. Still waiting on a faucet for the big sink and trying to decide on paint colors (its only been three years to ponder it).

No cooked meal yet.

That faint haze is smoke from a seasoning Darto pan for which I forgot to turn on the hood.

0051.jpg

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The end is in sight. Still waiting on a faucet for the big sink and trying to decide on paint colors (its only been three years to ponder it).

No cooked meal yet.

That faint haze is smoke from a seasoning Darto pan for which I forgot to turn on the hood.

0051.jpg

I love your sink.  Was it relatively easy to install?  When you say paint colors do you mean for the walls and the window ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I love your sink.  Was it relatively easy to install?  When you say paint colors do you mean for the walls and the window ?

Really easy!  I came home from work and the sink fairy had put it in. ^_^

Whitish walls, maybe a warm gray woodwork, maybe a reddish door/window.

But maybe not....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Really easy!  I came home from work and the sink fairy had put it in. ^_^

Whitish walls, maybe a warm gray woodwork, maybe a reddish door/window.

But maybe not....

LOL sink fairies come in handy then.....

Those --minus the red---are the exact colors I did in my bathroom/bedroom.  The walls are painted in "Calm" which is a white with a tiny gray undertone and the trim is a grayish/taupe.  It looks very clean and warm at the same time.  I think that would compliment your stone wall.  And the reddish color would look good around the window and door.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gfweb said:

No cooked meal yet.

0051.jpg

Amazing massive hood! Love the safety treatment of the sharp hood corner, or as I call that, a "hostile projection". :-)

Someone tall in your family?

dcarch

• Like 3

@dcarch That would be to protect my head. Got me right in the temple on day 1. Something more attractive is coming from Amazon.

That hood really sucks...900cfm rated...perhaps actually a bit less since the outside vent is about 1/2 the size of the duct. But it is really quiet, amazing. Nothing like what I've heard in other peoples houses. Vent-a-hood brand.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That would be to protect my head..

Years ago on a TV show called Ultimate Kitchens the husband of the couple featured in this particular episode had to take to wearing a straw "cowboy" hat when cooking to keep from hitting his head on the exhaust hood.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Give this idea a try:

You can buy smoke bomb (emitter, generator). Get one going near your fireplace with the fireplace damper open. Now turn on your exhaust.hood.

You can tell if you should have the fireplace going when the hood is operating. CO back draft is a problem with a powerful exhaust fan. That's why many areas have specific code requirements for makeup air.

If you have gas or oil heat with no proper makeup outside air intake, you should really make sure that your boiler room door is well sealed.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

We have an R2000 home which means it is pretty well air tight.  I wanted a nice powerful fan.  Contractor nixed that due to the problem of not enough air even with our make up air.  So, I got a less powerful fan AND we had to install a fan that brings air INTO the house.  When the fireplace has a fire in it, I have to turn on the intake fan and we even open a window so we don't get smoke back in the house when we open the fireplace door to add more wood.  Very important.

Also, your fan hood must be mounted quite low.  When we built our house I researched the recommended height and it was 36 inches above the stove top.  My hood fan works well at that height.  Also, be sure to clean that fan regularly to save problems.  I clean mine every month at least.  If I have done a lot of cooking more frequently.  The baffles go into the dishwasher so it is just a question of wiping down the other parts which takes only five to eight minutes because it is done frequently.  Even with all that I have some fat stains around the outlet on the outside of the house.  When I called the manufacturer of the fan, the sales rep asked me if I cooked everyday.  WTF?  Really.  Not sure why the fat reached the end of the run of the exhaust pipe which is a good 6 feed from the fan.  I am wondering if I should have that six foot pipe cleaned by a company that does restaurant fans?

PS you probably know all this but I thought it worth mentioning.

cheers

• Like 2

@Okanagancook Our place is the opposite (R1793 lol). Really old and leaky.... 8 fireplaces with 8 iffy dampers.  I just tested the kitchen fireplace with a small tube of dried, rolled up leaves that I ignited whilst the hood was on.. smoke stayed in the FP.

We decided to mount the hood higher than recommended (so it wouldn't be in my face) and get more fan power than needed to compensate. We'll see how it works. Seems OK so far.

"Do you cook every day?"  Good grief

• Like 2

hopefully the hood fan has several speeds.  I can see of no reason why you would need more that the lowest setting to move the gas fumes

up and out.   I don't think you need to get them all.

generic hoods , w the microwave above the mid-generic gas stove just filter them and send them back into the room

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts Here's that 90 degree view.  Lots of paint samples on the woodwork. But the kitchen is finally in use. First thing cooked was an omelet.

0111.thumb.jpg.17a86d9c6a9fc0c219937d4ef14b615e.jpg

Aren't you overdoing it? Painting you kitchen door to match your kitchen towel? LOL!!

A very nice looking design that is also very functional! three thumbs up!!

dcarch

• Like 3