• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

@JoNorvelleWalker I lived with a semi functioning kitchen for about 5 years. After the stove/oven died, I decided to bite the bullet and build what will probably be my last kitchen.  The amount of money pains my frugal soul, the contractor and his close talking and flirting(ugh!), pain me emotionally, the dust and general messiness pain me physically.  All of the general unsettledness annoys me.  But in the end, I love it and will enjoy it more than I was annoyed by the mess. And I know I'm truly lucky to be able to do this.  First world problems indeed!

• Like 9

I would so love new appliances!  Two and a half hours into my stove repair and I had to stop because I couldn't stand and my arms were/are shaking.

To get the handle back on, the front panel has to come off.  Getting the handle back on the panel was a pain but it was doable.  Horribly cheap design, in my opinion, for a major appliance that is supposed to last.  Now I am stuck trying to get the front panel back on the hinged part of the door.

I know how the assembly is supposed to work:  there are two clips in the bottom of the panel that go into matching slots in the door.  Then the top of the door is secured to the panel by two screws.  At best I've been able to get one clip in at a time, and beating on it with a hammer doesn't help.

This was a used stove when the landlord installed it about eighteen years ago after my stove at the time could not be fixed.  I got it because a tenant moved out and the landlord put a new stove in to rent that apartment.  Knowing the provenance of the stove I believe it is thirty six years old.  I never did like it after I got chemical burns because they installed it all covered in lye.  Not to mention that it isn't level.

On a similar topic, the range hood is secured with one screw.  (As is the exhaust fan in the bathroom.)  Someday the range hood is going to come down in the soup.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sheesh. Sounds like some of the apartments (and landlords) I've had. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

39 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Sheesh. Sounds like some of the apartments (and landlords) I've had. 

I'm sure my experience is not unique!  It's enough to drive one to drink.

Thankfully once I rested and my arms stopped shaking it did not take long to get the clips in the groves and the door back on.  At the moment I am baking bread.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm sure my experience is not unique!

The property management company that owns my home and many thousands of properties in this area must have expanded to New Jersey too! 

I would ask why you are doing your own repairs to the landlord's property, but unfortunately, I know the answer all too well already. The only thing my landlord has proven to be any good at over 26 years is collecting money. They have that down pat. 

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

New floor is down. Hickory. Hard as a rock.

(And slick as ice if you are an Airedale who's used to a grippy brick surface.)

Cabinets and appliances this week (God willing). Countertops a week later. (which is like forever).

035.jpg

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Cabinets and appliances this week (God willing). Countertops a week later. (which is like forever).

035.jpg

Oh this is stunning.

Don't be sad.... your kitchen is coming along like 100% faster than my bathroom/bedroom remodel lol.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

035.jpg

Question:  How did you clean up after all of the sheetrock dust?  I am struggling.  Seems like I am just moving it around in swirls lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Shelby The guys did a great job with vacuums in the kitchen. There's a bit of a film on the rest of the house...

The workers cleaned it up????  Wow.  I'm missing out.

• Like 2

@gfweb, that floor IS gorgeous! One concern I have is how slick it will be for humans if water is spilled.  One of my cousins hit a wet patch on her highly polished wood floor, went down hard, narrowly missed the kitchen counter with her head.  I think she still had a concussion.  They scuffed the surface after that for safety's sake. I'd hate to see you take such drastic action, but I hope you're addressing safety somehow.

Edit: the stone wall with the wooden floor is an exceptionally fine pairing.

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ya I have a mat too where I cook, but its more to prevent splatter near the range than for comfort.  I find the soft'ish maple floors quite fine.  Glad I didnt drop another $10K on floors.

Eventually however wood floors in a kitchen will need to either be resurfaced or eventually replaced due to the high traffic/stress, but thats many years down the road.

I cant say how envious I am of your fireplace in the kitchen, my dream (and next) kitchen will have a large one where I can cook in it and have a cauldron of bubbling goodness simmering away.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@gfweb, that floor IS gorgeous! One concern I have is how slick it will be for humans if water is spilled.  One of my cousins hit a wet patch on her highly polished wood floor, went down hard, narrowly missed the kitchen counter with her head.  I think she still had a concussion.  They scuffed the surface after that for safety's sake. I'd hate to see you take such drastic action, but I hope you're addressing safety somehow.

Edit: the stone wall with the wooden floor is an exceptionally fine pairing.

That is a worry. A mat like @TicTac has may be in order.

• Like 1