• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

3 hours ago, kayb said:

@Jacksoup, looks like it's going to be a gorgeous kitchen! And I particularly like how you've matched the kitchen to the cat.

@gfweb, I NEVER want to see behind my stove, nor in the small crack between the stove and the cabinet. I shudder to think. Please keep pics coming!

I found a mummified mouse under the stove in one rental. 

ETA: How they got all those bandages 'round the little critter, I can't imagine. :P

Edited by chromedome
added lame joke...'cause that's how I roll (log)
  • Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I found a mummified mouse under the stove in one rental. 

100% guarantee you would find the same thing behind my kitchen cabinet.  We would have had to cut a hole in the cabinet to get to it.  Sigh.

Cabinet hardware went in yesterday.  Can LED lights are in.  Some outlets cannot be installed as the tile guy cut the holes too small.  That should be fixed tomorrow.  And stove and refrigerator will be delivered and installed tomorrow.  Faucet was installed and subjected to a cat scan @chromedome . Contractor said I should be able to cook on Friday.  I expect it will be later than that as all kitchen tools need to be unpacked and find a home

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

Cabinet hardware went in yesterday.  Can LED lights are in.  Some outlets cannot be installed as the tile guy cut the holes too small.  That should be fixed tomorrow.  And stove and refrigerator will be delivered and installed tomorrow.  Faucet was installed and subjected to a cat scan @chromedome . Contractor said I should be able to cook on Friday.  I expect it will be later than that as all kitchen tools need to be unpacked and find a home

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

Soooooo pretty!!!!!  You are going to LOVE it.  So happy for you!

• Like 3

When I had my microwave repaired the repairmen had to clear out the cabinet over it to get it unplugged and have room to maneuver.  They took out all the dishes and casseroles out which were extremely dirty and greasy from the cooking vapors.  When they were finished they asked if I wanted them to put the dishes back in and I said yes.  Why wash them all up and put them back just to be covered in grease again.  I wash them as I use them which is very infrequent.

I'm sure they were appalled that I wanted dirty dishes back in the cupboard.

• Like 1

I had to replace my stove last month, and one of the men as they were removing the old stove said I could clean up where it had been. I cleaned the front as best I could, but to really clean up the space where the stove had been would have taken hours to get it up to at least looking like hell.

When I had to replace my fridge years ago at least I got back my favorite vegetable peeler my first cat, Chips, had knocked under the fridge.  If my current fridge has to ever be replaced I think I'll just sit in the car while the old one is removed and the new one put in.

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 8

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

20 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

Everything is nice and beautiful.

Are you concern that enameled sink can get marred, scratched, chipped -- easily?

You can also get enameled faucet set to match the sink.

dcarch

@dcarch  thank you!  Not too concerned about scratching or marring of the sink.  I've had porcelain cast iron before and the only thing that happened was the porcelain wore away. I suspect I'll be unable to see it or dead before it happens with this one.  Although I will now check the warranty.

• Like 4

Stove and fridge arrived today but could not be installed since the plug specs given for the stove were incorrect. Need a 4 prong pigtail not a 3.  Also need to further recess the fridge plug.  Electrician son will be busy tonight.

IMG_1184.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jacksoup said:

@dcarch  thank you!  Not too concerned about scratching or marring of the sink.  I've had porcelain cast iron before and the only thing that happened was the porcelain wore away. I suspect I'll be unable to see it or dead before it happens with this one.  Although I will now check the warranty.

At a certain age, everything has a lifetime guarantee.

• Like 8

@rotuts  the appliances are all GE.  I briefly considered a Wolf stove but when the sales guy pointed out that there were not many differences, I went to GE.  He said that GE reverse engineered the Wolf.  Don't know if that is actually true but I fell for it.  plus I got about 50% off the exhaust hood for purchasing the GE stove. The hood is hooked up and really seems like a powerhouse. And it has a warming light which I did not know about.

• Like 2

I don't know about modern GE stoves, but my 1970's model is a workhorse, and still going strong.

Also weird fact: my nephew, who works on a nuclear aircraft carrier, told me that the familiar GE logo is on the nuclear warheads he has seen.  O.o I suspect they have a very strong engineering department at GE.

Jacksoup, I hope you will be so happy with your new kitchen.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Some glitches today.  The trim kit for the microwave/convection oven is too big.  Contractor blames the supply house, but it's been sitting here in the box for at least 3 weeks and contractor never checked.  I blame the contractor but verbalizing that won't get it here any sooner, so I held my tongue.  Refrigerator is in and working.  Stove is slightly in but contractor forgot his foamy test liquid so not fully functional.  Contractor did tell me he had lunch with an old friend today so I think that is why things did not get done.  Can you tell I'm really ready for this to be over?  Promised to be functional tomorrow .  The grates are kinda cool, they flip over and are concave to hold a wok 

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

• Like 8

Oh good, your fridge has proper pull handles.

I am constantly left behind by "improvements" and "advances", so I didn't say anything when I saw the first photo of it with the little nubs sticking out where I guess the handles mount to. I have never seen one without the handles installed.

It is very pretty now.

Contractors don't have the time to unpack and inspect every component prior to installation stage. If they did that, they would have to charge you for that time, and I know you don't want that either. You are a wise person to not speak every thought off the top of your head. I can learn much from you, Master Po.

Grasshopper

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

@Thanks for the Crepes this fridge has a lot of technological whoop de doo that I guess I will have to acquaint myself with. It's rather intimidating.  Glad I have a kid that can figure it out.  Contractor is working on a set $$ amount so hourly is not an issue.  Still need a change order from him since son did the electrical.  Based on the photo I can't believe it will be almost done tomorrow 

IMG_1190.JPG

• Like 11

Your range looks to be an updated version of mine. I don't have the electronic display, but rather buttons for each of the oven's functions (bake, convection, clean, broil, off) and then a knob to set the temperature. Ours is 36", six-burner natural gas top and electric oven.

We found the wok side of the grates to not be worth bothering with. They raise the wok too high off the burner. We either use a flat-bottomed wok inside on the normal (unflipped) stove grates, or take a round-bottomed wok out to the mega-burner that my husband uses when he brews beer. The warming light in the hood, OTOH, is marvelous.

The one maintenance issue with the range that we've had recur is a switch or relay or something inside the burner knob assembly that goes bad. When that happens, you turn the burner off but the igniter keeps on popping until you either turn the burner back on or you give up and kill the breaker. When the second one died, we had our appliance repair guy order us five of the replacements parts, so that when the last four went, we wouldn't have to wait for the part to come in. Of course, the last four have been fine now, and the parts have been waiting going on three years now! <knocks on wood>

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

It's pretty much done.  Some minor details like the microwave  trim and caulking  around the window.  I plan on taking a couple of days off from work to move everything in.  Had another cat inspection.  She's very relieved things are getting back to normal.

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

Edited by Jacksoup
Spelling (log)
  • Like 13

You don't know how I envy you.  The handle of my thirty some year old cheap apartment oven fell off tonight.  And not for the first time.

Maybe in daylight I can find the parts.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You don't know how I envy you.  The handle of my thirty some year old cheap apartment oven fell off tonight.  And not for the first time.

Maybe in daylight I can find the parts.

But you  have  the CSO !

• Like 2