• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

Pull out pantries and cats! Can't beat it! 

Happy to see things coming together for you. I know that's a good Christmas present. Hope you have a fine Christmas dinner from someone else's kitchen!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/22/2016 at 4:32 PM, Jacksoup said:

Cabinets are in!  Finally feels like something is being done, rather than torn apart.  Poor lighting since those are not in yet.

you can see Ella the cat checking out the pull out pantry

IMG_1148.JPG

Color me green with envy. ;)    I hope your new kitchen is everything you desire.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Exhaust hood installed today.  There is some stainless cover for the ducting that should have been ordered, but was not. Hopefully it will arrive this week.  Photo is crooked because I was holding the work light in one hand and camera phone in the other.  This is the best of several attempts. 

IMG_1162.JPG

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, lindag said:

I like the look of a farm sink, however, I have to have two basins in mine...not just for the disposer but for washing then rinsing.

My last rental in Nova Scotia had just one large sink. I put an inexpensive plastic tub from the dollar store into one side (it took up 2/3 of the space, roughly) and rinsed on the side where there was no tub. It worked pretty much the same. 

ETA: It's nice sometimes to have the full-sized sink space for large pots, roasters, etc. 

Edited by chromedome
addition (log)
  • Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

43 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My last rental in Nova Scotia had just one large sink. I put an inexpensive plastic tub from the dollar store into one side (it took up 2/3 of the space, roughly) and rinsed on the side where there was no tub. It worked pretty much the same. 

ETA: It's nice sometimes to have the full-sized sink space for large pots, roasters, etc. 

I seem to recall that when I was growing up we always used a dish pan in the sink. I have on occasion resorted to that even though I have a double stainless steel sink. It means I can have dishes soaking but also quickly remove them if I need the sink.  I also seem to recall a time when it was possible to hide the evidence of one's laziness by quickly stashing the dish pan full of dirty dishes out of sight.  Not that I would ever have resorted to that.xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

I seem to recall that when I was growing up we always used a dish pan in the sink. I have an occasion resorted to that even though I have a double stainless steel sink. It means I can have dishes soaking but also quickly remove them if I need the sink.  I also seem to recall a time when it was possible to hide the evidence of one's laziness by quickly stashing the dish pan full of dirty dishes out of sight.  Not that I would ever have resorted to that.xD

No, nor I. 

...and I would never, under any circumstances, stash said hypothetical pan of dishes in my oven because it was the closest available empty space. And I would certainly not turn on said oven several hours later to roast potatoes without checking to make sure the oven was empty, because why in the world would there be a pan full of dishes in my oven?

Speaking hypothetically, of course. 

• Like 10

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"Lol, my husband comes from a long line of "oven stashers".  Took several near accidents to convince him to change his ways.  Nothing like the smell of melting plastic to reform a person is there?  I have always had double sinks and would have trouble with a single I think  The dish pan might solve the problem Or better yet, a butler's pantry with a deep sink for soaking.    Dream on says I.

• Like 4

We consciously chose a large single sink (big enough to hold our largest roasting pan, or a half-sheet pan flat) because it's easy to subdivide a large sink with a dishpan, but it's impossible to make a divided sink big enough that you can wash a large roaster or a half-sheet pan easily and without cursing. This is my first large single sink and I don't think I'd ever go back, given a choice.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@MelissaH  I agree, you can always change a large sink with the use of a dishpan you cannot make a divided sink into a larger one.  This sink comes with some wire baskets and a couple of plastic container things that looks like they are for silverware.  It's been a while sink I selected the sink so my memory is faulty.

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I seem to recall that when I was growing up we always used a dish pan in the sink. I have on occasion resorted to that even though I have a double stainless steel sink. It means I can have dishes soaking but also quickly remove them if I need the sink.  I also seem to recall a time when it was possible to hide the evidence of one's laziness by quickly stashing the dish pan full of dirty dishes out of sight.  Not that I would ever have resorted to that.xD

I've done that....the oven works as a good hidey hole.

• Like 1

And in instances when I knew I was going to use the oven, I have stashed them outside on the grill. And then wondered for two weeks (in the winter) where in hell a particular dish or utensil was!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My backsplash is the same but in shades of pale blue/grey.  It has been up now for a few years and I still love looking at it. Hope you will enjoy yours just as much. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 1/2/2017 at 8:04 AM, chromedome said:

....just one large sink

That's what I have — and no dishwasher.

HATE it!!!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

9 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

That's what I have — and no dishwasher.

HATE it!!!!!

I was lucky, and found a portable dishwasher in a thrift store for $49. I bought it for my GF as a housewarming present for her new place (now the "old" place), and it has certainly earned its keep. It now resides in a little alcove off the kitchen, formerly a second laundry room. 

• Like 1

I'll have a dishwasher.  The only appliance not being replaced.  The one I have is only two years old, it's currently sitting outside a tarp to protect it from our much needed rain.  Floor is mostly in today but no pictures as we can't go in there until tomorrow.  Contractor has extended completion date by one week, hopefully next Friday.

• Like 2

My kitchen renovation started a few days ago. 30 year old kitchen was just beat to crap. Had to go. We put it off for two years with creative indecisiveness.

Here's the old kitchen, emptied of all but dog toys.

032.jpg

033.jpg

031.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MelissaH said:

@gfweb, is anything staying, or will you replace all the appliances?

Fridge and DW stay. Big old Vulcan goes.  I'll miss the beast, but with a zillion pilot lights it was a gas hog...and the oven took forever to come up to temp. And it was a restaurant model, so it was uninsulated and really not safe next to cabinets

• Like 2