• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodel starting now

Jacksoup

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I'm in the anti-tile camp as well, having spent far too many hours scrubbing the damned grout. I favor continuous, easily-cleaned surfaces in the kitchen. That being said, I understand the appeal of tile from viewpoints other than straight-up sanitation...and at the end of the day it's your kitchen, not mine. :)

Sanitation does not have to be a problem with wood floors.  Ours are topped with a few coats of varathane (or whatever it is that my DH uses) and that can withstand constant cleaning. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a Thanksgiving hiatus, the remodel, well demo has started.  My biggest challenge will be not having a sink.  Only a small powder room downstairs so we have water but nothing to wash the Instant Pot in.  Bathtub is upstairs.  

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

• Like 6

All great input. We re-did the kitchen at the family home about 2 years ago. Maple flooring and granite counters = great, Those slow self closing cabinet doors and drawers - ACK I am constantly yelling "CLOSE NOW".  I also personally do not care for pull out shelving and those corner swivel doors but I am blessed with great knees ` I do get the potential issues, I also thought the in cabinet trash bins were a waste of space. We did not reconfigure the 40 year old space so no such decisions needed. In my own kitchen I did enjoy under counter lighting and we did hidden strip plugs on the island that worked well for entertaining,

• Like 2

Nothing happened today.  Contractor had to work on another  job, the guy that gave me the reference and the guy that just re-did my will.  Tomorrow all the cabinets come out and the gas line for the stove goes in Friday.  I know this because my will lawyer, contractor and I all ended up at the same bar/restaurant for my birthday.

• Like 5

@gfweb ah but if he's a guy I can have a drink with, I'm hoping that's good.  Besides that frivolity, I've seen his work, he's got a 20 year reputation and my son the protector (and electrician)  is totally watching over his shoulder.  Although I'm completely a trusting fool. And I've never remodeled anything before so I could be duped.  Am counting on my kid and universal good will.

• Like 5

Cabinets came out today except for the ones the plumber has decided he wants to re-purpose.  And I now get a small discount on his work.  He'll take those tomorrow.  Selected the cabinet color, Swiss Coffee, which is a warm white.  Anyway that's what the designers told me.  I had to hire designers as I was overwhelmed by all the choices.  Interestingly they worked for my former mother in law  years ago.  They also helped me select cabinet hardware today.  My son thinks he can do all electrical this weekend.  

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

• Like 4

For me, our designer was absolutely a necessity.  She made such great choices and was careful to LISTEN to what WE wanted.  Two other friends have used this designer to do their kitchens and bathrooms.  Everyone is very happy.  Designers can get a 'kitchen designer' designation after attending a course....not sure what is is called.

my son is doing the electrical this weekend.  Can lights are in.  Power for fridge, micro/convection oven and dishwasher is in.  Also pictured is what my son calls an ' artifact of remodeling', a rat skeleton.  Yuck

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

• Like 8

We did have traps and poison in the attic quite a while ago.  I think it died an unnatural death and desiccated.  No real progress to show today. The venting for the fan was moved but boring for pictures.   However son's girlfriend is cooking salmon in the CSO and pasta with pesto in the IP for dinner. I'm impressed since I've not been that adventurous since the remodel started.  I went to a going away party tonight and had enough appetizers and wine that I'm going to bed and will not see the results 

• Like 4

Things are progressing but photos are boring unless you like to see electrical wiring.  My son is working at his real job all day and then working until midnight on my job.  The only thing the contractor did today was remove a lot of debris in my small condo yard and ask for another check.  And a change order for jack hammering the water outlet out of the slab since the fridge is moving. Dinner is leftover IP pasta with pesto and wine.  I think the wine helps keep the dust down.  Or perhaps the wine helps me not care that dust is everywhere 

• Like 9

It's pretty boring right now.  Drywall is in and I think skim coat was appplied today.  Probably texture tomorrow.  Didn't know I had choices for that but the designers helped with that.  Backsplash tile showed up in boxes on the dining room floor.  Cabinets should be installed on the 22nd if all goes according to schedule.  So far the GC has been accurate with that.

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

• Like 6

I gutted my kitchen down to the studs as well and had a gas line put in. We didn't use a designer unless you consider having custom cabinets built around appliances and built to our specs otherwise. 

It's a hard life without a kitchen in the winter. I wish you a speedy and trouble free renovation. Mine took 3x longer than projected and definitely lead to a LOT of marital fights. It's awkward having contractors, electricians, plumbers, woodworkers, etc in your home when all you can offer is a bottle of water. I would even eat (aka hip check my way to the lower level of our home to reheat leftovers) in my bed! I don't envy you- I am gettin anxious just recalling the process. 

That said, the end result was so worth it! 

• Like 4

Cabinets are in!  Finally feels like something is being done, rather than torn apart.  Poor lighting since those are not in yet.

you can see Ella the cat checking out the pull out pantry

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

Edited by Jacksoup
Cat, not car (log)
  • Like 7

I love the pull out pantry! It was massively useful - as in a wonderful use of a narrow space - back when I had one.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown