• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shel's Cranberry Salsa Recipes

Shel_B

It's that time of year again, and these are some of the cranberry recipes I've been using for the holidays over the past few years.  They are simple to prepare, easily transported, and a little different and fun to eat.  Perhaps you'll try one or both.

My Cranberry Salsa

"The Tropics meet New England"

1 12-oz bag of fresh cranberries

1 clove garlic

1 or 2 jalapeno or serrano chilies (I usually use one of each)

4 TBS finely chopped cilantro (I like cilantro, others don't - adjust to taste)

3 scallions, minced

Juice from 3 limes (about 1/3 cup)

1/2 cup sugar (I often use less - adjust to your taste)

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Boil cranberries for about a minute in one quart of water. Drain well.

Mince the garlic and seed, devein (if you like - probably a good idea if you want to keep the heat down) and mince the chili peppers. Combine with chopped cilantro, scallions and the cranberries in a mixing bowl, and mix by hand, squeezing some of the cranberries to a pulp and leaving the rest whole or in large pieces. Add the lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. The salsa should be a little sweet, a little sour, and nice and spicy.

Cocodrilo Cranberry Citrus Salsa

makes approx. 4 cups

2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)

1 cup chopped yellow or red onions

1/2 cup fresh orange juice

the zest from 1 orange

1 jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped

1/2 tsp. ginger

2 Tbs + 2 tsp brown sugar

1 tsp. honey

1 1/2 Tbs rice wine vinegar

1 Tbs hot sauce (I like this or this or this best)

2 T. chopped cilantro

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat and let it cool while stirring carefully - try not to split the cranberries! Chill before serving - or serve the sauce hot.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel