• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Abundance of mustard

shain

I received a couple of large jars of grainy mustard and I am looking for ways to use it up.

I don't use mustard too often, and when I do it's usually with grilled vegetables or with potatoes, and only small amount. 

I have plenty of meat based recipes in mind, but being a vegetarian, I don't make those often... 

Any suggestions? 

~ Shai N.

Mustard goes well with grilled cheese sandwiches, or to spice up a cream or cheese sauce for those vegetables - like the gratin gfweb mentions above.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This potato salad gets good reviews.

you could make a honey-mustard dressing for sturdy greens. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Regift one of them, or donate it to a food pantry.

For the other jar, if you make breaded eggplant or other vegetable, mix some mustard into the egg (if you're ovo-lacto) or other liquid.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have vegan friends who make a fantastic pasta dish with mushrooms greens and mustard sauce - 

I used to make big batches of grainy mustard and always gave them a couple of jars because they used so much of it.

After I saw your post I tried to call them but they are away for a couple of months in South America doing some research on seals.

Their house sitter told me to look on THIS SITE which I found easily and he said another is a "no meat" site.  I did a search and found "no meat Athlete"  which does have a recipe:  Mustardy Portobello Mushroom Pasta

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! 

Gratin is great idea, I think I'll make one of mixed winter veggies & mushrooms.

A grilled cheese of sorts is also likely to be made.

But @andiesenji, I have both mushrooms and spinach on hand (bought some to make pizzas and a calzone), so I'm going to follow your idea first.

I'm still open for more ideas. Tanks again ^_^.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

12 minutes ago, shain said:

A grilled cheese of sorts is also likely to be made.

A combo of mustard (albeit Dijon) and jarred horseradish is my go-to spread for grilled cheese.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

A combo of mustard (albeit Dijon) and jarred horseradish is my go-to spread for grilled cheese.

No straight horseradish, but I do have chrain (horseradish with beets), might be nice (or at least interesting).

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, shain said:

No straight horseradish, but I do have chrain (horseradish with beets), might be nice (or at least interesting).

Hey, why not?

In my (very extended) family -- and in Yiddish (and its predecessors) in general -- chrain refers just to prepared grated horseradish; there's red (with beets) and white. I liked neither until well into my chronological adulthood. (The emotional part is still in question.)

• Like 1