• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can hydroponic or aquaponic = organic?

Alex

NY Times article

In 2010, the Organic Standards Board recommended that hydroponic systems be ruled ineligible for organic certification because they excluded “the soil-plant ecology intrinsic to organic farming systems.”

The U.S.D.A. has not acted on the board’s recommendation, allowing organic certification of crops grown in hydroponic systems to continue.

Is this a real food-related issue, or does it ultimately boil down to the non-food issue of protecting turf (i.e., money)?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I can see parts I like on both sides.

On the one hand, the hydroponically grown produce will be as pure and pesticide-free (and many other things-free) as any other organic, maybe even better. So, that's good for me as an eater. But the carbon footprint, and other issues like urban heat islands need to be looked at as well.

On the other hand, a big part of organic farming is stewardship of the land. I recall reading about organic issues in Scientific American in the 1980s, when farms using commercial fertilizers were having terrible problems with their topsoil. Farms that had used modern methods were losing topsoil and had huge erosion issues, while farms that never started using commercial fertilizer and still relied on manure had plenty of great topsoil. And, often one of each of these farms would be next to each other -in stark contrast. I think managing the land is very important. If a hydroponic 'farm' is essentially like another high-rise (especially if you make a mini-city of them), then it's not helping the ecosystem.

I think, I'd like to see the hydroponics located in areas without arable soil, not disrupting grasslands or farmlands.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, Spork said:

I question the micro nutrient value of such. 

It's not new. Googling aquaponics yields millions of links from ignorant amateurs like me and hundreds or thousands of peer-reviewed scientific and academic articles. 

Given that the nutrient quality of conventionally grown crops is known to be in decline, it's worth taking a decent look at the literature surrounding aquaponics (and hydroponics). A handful of the top results:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0570178316300288

http://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/8/10/467/htm

http://www.mdpi.com/2311-7524/3/2/32/htm

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 10/28/2017 at 8:26 PM, chromedome said:

Given that the nutrient quality of conventionally grown crops is known to be in decline, it's worth taking a decent look at the literature surrounding aquaponics (and hydroponics). A handful of the top results:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0570178316300288

http://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/8/10/467/htm

http://www.mdpi.com/2311-7524/3/2/32/htm

I’m not going to pretend to know all on this but;

The first link deals with an atmospheric condition. I would think all of the proposed/discussed would share the same, as well as the same consequences. 

The last three do not include terra firma as a control. 

Edited by Spork (log)

27 minutes ago, Spork said:

I’m not going to pretend to know all on this but;

The first link deals with an atmospheric condition. I would think all of the proposed/discussed would share the same, as well as the same consequences. 

The last three do not include terra firma as a control. 

Oh, for sure. It wasn't meant as a serious survey of the current literature, and it's also not especially pertinent to the topic of organic vs non-organic (I'd forgotten to check the subject before posting). 

That being said, I should think that determining the most bioavailable forms of nutrients and supplying them in a closed system should be entirely within the bounds of what's currently possible. I know the Dutch are doing seriously intensive growth within enclosed greenhouse environments, in both soil-based and hydroponic systems, and I'd be surprised if they aren't also looking at atmospheric tweaks and their effect on growth, productivity and nutritive content. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Most greenhouses and indoor farms enrich the air with extra CO2 (to usually about 1500ppm as opposed to 400-500 found normally) to increase growth rates. I don't have access now, but there have been several studies that show that nutrient density and amount of essential oil and flavor compounds in hydroponics (basically keeping your plants on IV nutrition) is actually higher than in conventional farming. Also, since greenhouses and indoor farms are usually much closer to the consumer, they spend much less time in transit thereby keeping more nutrients post harvest and reducing spoilage waste.