• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mark Bittman joins Academia

Anna N

Click

Mark Bittman joins Columbia's School of Public Health. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's funny that the man has had so many jobs in the last few years. If I received his resumé, I'd question why the guy couldn't hold a job very long! xD

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am wondering where all this is coming from. As far as I know he worked for the New York Times for some 18 years, left  for the Purple Carrot for a year and has now joined the faculty of Columbia University.  He is the author of a number of best-selling recipe books.  So what am I missing here?  I am hoping everybody has tongue-in-cheek and I'm just not getting the humour. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In brief: I don't think he belongs in academia. He can write another cookbook about "everything," but nothing he has done in the past has any connection to any academic course of study. He's teaching something called "Columbia and Food" - really? It reads like a joke. And I'm sure both he and Columbia will laugh all the way to the bank!

• Like 1

The move to academia, particularly in a Public Health dept, doesn't surprise me as he seems to have a fairly longstanding interest in communication in this area.

13 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

nothing he has done in the past has any connection to any academic course of study

I'd say that depends on how you define a course of study.  Prior to the Purple Carrot, he did a 6 month stint as a visiting fellow at UC Berkeley where he lectured and contributed to the production of a food-centric video series titled, "California Matters" in conjunction with the Berkeley Food Institute and UC's Global Food Initiative.

This last move is less surprising to me than the Purple Carrot gig.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)