• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What happened to the yellow beets?

gfweb

They're still being sold at our biggest farmers market here, but not at the otherwise well-stocked supermarket I usually shop at.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

54 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I can't find them anywhere. Stores just have those bloody red things.

It's because you live in a red state. :P Sorry.  

@Alex still has some but may find them disappearing from MI, depending on how things sort out. So close!

@FrogPrincesse and I are still finding plenty, although I suspect many have escaped to @ElsieD's neck of the woods.  

edited to add:  of course, I am kidding!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

I grew them before, but I don't believe I've ever seen them in a supermarket. Here is my source: 

Home   Shop by Department   Vegetable Seeds   Beetroot   Giant Yellow Eckendorf Beet
Giant Yellow Eckendorf BeetEnlarge View
  • Beet
  • Beet
  • Giant Yellow Eckendorf Beet

Product Quantity Price
Giant Yellow Eckendorf Beet (250 seeds) (BT116) $2.50

SHARE THIS PRODUCT

fbTwitterPinterestEmail

Giant Yellow Eckendorf Beet

5 Reviews | Write a Review

The 1927 Henry Fields catalog said, “Giant, smooth, long roots of cylindrical shape, weighing up to 20 pounds each and growing two-thirds above ground. Solid white flesh with high food value.” These big yellow-skinned roots are perfect for growing as animal food, a tradition that is finally being brought back on many small farms.

Giant Yellow Eckendorf Beet
Overall Rating:

Number of Reviews: 5
Easy to Grow 4.5
EarlyMaturity 1.5

100.0% would recommend this item to a friend.

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I love them and grow them (Touchstone Gold from Johnny's Selected Seeds) but I have never seen them in a grocery store.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I see them on rare occasions.  But it's been a while.  I agree, where are the yellow beats!!!!!

edited to add my favorite are the candy strip beets.   Not that they taste that much better but they have visual appeal extraordinaire 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

• 4 years later...