• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organics and Hydroponics

Shel_B

This issue has been on my mind for a while: can growing fruits and vegetables hydroponically be considered organic?  Here's an excerpt from an article I read this morning.  What are your thoughts about hydroponically grown produce ... can it be considered organic?  Here are some links to articles about the issue  Click Here  and Here and Here

A 16-member task force established last year by the National Organic Program reported back to

the NOSB in July with an extensive report about current technologies and practices being used

and examining whether and how they align with the Organic Foods Production Act and USDA

organic regulations.

In Red Sun Farms' high-tech greenhouses, individual tomato vines grow to 40 feet in length.

Red Sun Farms grows organic tomatoes in its Dublin, VA, greenhouse without herbicides and

uses compressed coconut husks as the growth medium

In essence, the task force supported “the historical premise that organic production should take

place in soil,” but noted that the decision is ultimately up to the NOSB.

“This will be a very important recommendation for the future of organic certification,” the task

force report stated. “No matter what one thinks about which path is best, we can all accept that

many in the organic community are opposed to the inclusion of hydroponic as organic. Failure to

address that concern will inevitably undermine public and farmer support for the USDA Organic label.”

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Problem is one of definitions.

If you let USDA define organic, you get one set of parameters.

If you let a raging "true believer"(no offense meant) define organic , the criteria would be much more stringent.

How much the criteria matter is open to debate since how much being organic matters is purely a matter of opinion.  To some degree it is a philosophical/religious matter. (which I mean as no insult)

1 hour ago, Shel_B said:

...can it be considered organic?

No.
"Organic" nutrients may be used by some who grow hydroponically, but, IMHO, that's not "organic" gardening or farming. 
 I agree with the quote above: “organic production should take place in soil.”

What's MUCH more important to me than possible better nutrition or the non-use or limited use of disease or pest controls (prevention being key) is the wealth-building AKA soil-building aspect of 'organic' gardening or farming.

I view conventional gardening/farming vs. organic gardening/farming as I view a checking account vs. a savings account...

Conventional being the checking account...lets call it checkbook gardening....you make deposits and withdrawals on a never ending and more frequent basis...deposit and withdrawal...deposit and withdrawal...never really gaining anything, your always depend on deposit and withdrawal...eventually overdrawing.. leading to penalties and the need greater deposits...on and on...always dependent on more and more purchased inputs (chemical fertilizers, pesticides and the like.)

'Organic' is more like a savings account drawing interest..lets call it savings account gardening.....sometimes a bit slower to start...but with a small investment and occasional deposits you draw interest...more and more all the time....building long term fertility and soil health to the point where the need for inputs becomes minimal, yet, you earn more and more interest. Building wealth.

What could make more sense?

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 6

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...