• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

3 hours ago, shain said:

Although it counts as dinner, hummus obviously should to be eaten before noon, and definitely not in the evening :) 

Please explain this comment.  It makes no sense to me.  Why should hummus not be eaten before noon or in the evening?  What time frame defines "evening" in your part of the world?

... Shel

@Shel_B

I said that it should be eaten before noon. I'd say I consider 6 PM to be the start of the evening.
It was obviously said with humor, but hummus is commonly eaten earlier in the day in Israel. It is considered a "heavy", and as such more suitable to be eaten at lunchtime.
I'd add and say that the absolute most of hummus restaurants close before 5 PM.

In general, many (probably most) people in Israel have their dinner (as in main meal) at lunchtime, usually somewhere between noon and 3PM. Those who keep kosher, as well as most workplaces, make this a meat based meal. In the evening, supper consists of lighter fare, often based on dairy and eggs. This is not true for holidays and Shabbat dinner (at Friday evening) where dinner is served in the evening, and lunch is often lighter.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

Figuring I need to pace myself for the next two weeks, I thought a simple braised chicken dish would be good last night.  The photo doesn't do justice to how delicious it was.  I think cutting the chicken breast with a serrated knife made it look pretty roughed up, but it was moist and delicious.  Just poached in hot chicken stock, a few slices of celery and carrot, a few peas and then some parsley and celery leaves.

IMG_1439.JPG

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, shain said:

I'd add and say that the absolute most of hummus restaurants close before 5 PM.

I think this might end up being a country mouse/city mouse argument. I lived in Jerusalem for a long time, and hummus places definitely did not close before 5 pm. They were open and they were full. You're right of course about the main meal usually being in the afternoon, and the evening meal is usually dairy-based. But the workplace in the cities has been changing for a long time, and most of them no longer close for a mid-day "hafsaka" (siesta). Eating patterns change to accommodate the work requirements. But even besides that, in any medium to large sized city a restaurant couldn't stay alive if they closed by 5 pm. I realized that your "before noon" comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I found the rest of it to be quite curious. (Do you live on a kibbutz or moshav?)

• Like 1

Dinner components almost exclusively from TJ's:

Tamale.jpg

looks like a mess , but a delicious one :

Tj's has some decent tamales in the refrigerated section , not to be confused with the Fz section :  Green Chili chicken.  there are two under the

Pico.  Black refried beans , Tj Jack , melted.  green dragon sauce.   the avocado and green onions did not come from TJ's

nice winter time meal, with little fuss.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Tj's has some decent tamales in the refrigerated section , not to be confused with the Fz section  

I kinda like the pork and red sauce refrigerated tamales. I will sometimes buy several and freeze  them. They come back to life very well from frozen in the IP.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

3 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I think this might end up being a country mouse/city mouse argument. I lived in Jerusalem for a long time, and hummus places definitely did not close before 5 pm. They were open and they were full. You're right of course about the main meal usually being in the afternoon, and the evening meal is usually dairy-based. But the workplace in the cities has been changing for a long time, and most of them no longer close for a mid-day "hafsaka" (siesta). Eating patterns change to accommodate the work requirements. But even besides that, in any medium to large sized city a restaurant couldn't stay alive if they closed by 5 pm. I realized that your "before noon" comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I found the rest of it to be quite curious. (Do you live on a kibbutz or moshav?)

I am a moshavnik, and I guess that my POV might be biased. However, I still do believe that most places closes before 5, even in the city. I took a short look in the opening hours of a few places as reported in Google, some close at about 3, some at 5, quite a few as late as 8 or 9. I guess it depends on the location and target crows, even in the city, some places attract the worker crowd, and therefore more likely to close earlier. On average, most other types of restaurants do stay up until later, even those selling other hefty food items, such as shawarma.

By the way, do you have a favorite place from back then (or are you not a hummus aficionado)? I don't visit Jerusalem often, but I really like Acramawi in the city.

~ Shai N.

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

I agree  I get both the pork and the ckicken

I use the microwave

you sue the IP ?

Mine aren't Trader Joe's, but, I also use the IP for heating.  Makes the BEST tamales that way.   From frozen I do 5 mins on high using steam function.  QR.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shain said:

I am a moshavnik, and I guess that my POV might be biased. However, I still do believe that most places closes before 5, even in the city. I took a short look in the opening hours of a few places as reported in Google, some close at about 3, some at 5, quite a few as late as 8 or 9. I guess it depends on the location and target crows, even in the city, some places attract the worker crowd, and therefore more likely to close earlier. On average, most other types of restaurants do stay up until later, even those selling other hefty food items, such as shawarma.

By the way, do you have a favorite place from back then (or are you not a hummus aficionado)? I don't visit Jerusalem often, but I really like Acramawi in the city.

I moved back to the States 20 years ago, and my last visit to Israel was about six years ago, so I can't say with any accuracy what's still around in Jerusalem. Except for Sima's! Friends of mind were there this summer and they mentioned that they went to Sima's and I couldn't believe that they were still open, but there you go. It's on Rechov Agrippas, a bit outside Machane Yehuda. They are very good, and they're open very late. It is a completely no-frills place, but good food. I used to love a particular place near Machane Yehuda called HaShipudia (there are hundreds of restaurants with that name, of course), it was a bit more "upscale" than Sima's and they had a stone oven where they made fresh pitot all day. They had the most wonderful marak kube, I can still taste it. But I have no idea if they're still there. There used to be a great place across from Kikar Zion, I don't remember the name of it, but every inch of wall space was filled with pictures of Elvis Presley. We just called the place "Elvis's." They've been gone a long time. There are a lot of new places, particularly within Machane Yehuda itself. I'm not familiar with Acramawi, I will look for it next time I go, I'm long overdue for a visit. (I figured you were a moshavnik.)

• Like 2

Found some calves liver in the super market today! Oh boy. 

image.jpeg

Just liver and onions!

image.jpeg

Although  it was cut painfully thin I still managed to keep it medium-rare and juicy.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N: Want to double, triple LIKE that liver and onion, with a helping of the fried rice @chefmd
Been baking and shopping all day. Something quick for supper: Panko coated pork loin, mashed cauliflower with fresh dill, sauteed mushrooms.

Panko Pork Loin 0007.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner last night was quick and simple: Ham steaks, salad, Mac&cheese and green beans cooked until tender then tossed with onions and bacon cooked in bacon fat and then all tossed together.  I had my ham with some sourdough bread.  Charlie ate his plain.

DSCN3908.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 8

@HungryChris

I recently rediscovered the convenience and deliciousness of shake and bake pork chops. They were a staple when my kids were growing up but somewhere along the way they were abandoned until recently. ( and your butternut squash looks perfect).

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Baked potato (microwaved) with buttery, salty, peppery, wild prawns served on a bed of chayote shoots* stir-fried with garlic and chilli pepper.

dinner.jpg

* Chayote shoots are delightfully known in Chinese as 龙须菜 - lóng xū cài which literally translates as "dragon beard vegetable"

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

Ill have to take a peek in the stores.

esp. after  @Anna N  report

Id be foolish to suggest that there is 1/2 of a life time of salt in each Shake ?

suprise.gif

I don't think there is anything special about Shake and Bake (I use one of the many knock-offs) that you could not reproduce with a careful eye on the salt content. Now I am going to have to give that a try. 

HC

• Like 2