• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

3 hours ago, kayb said:

A purely theoretical suggestion, as I don't use either a stone or a steel in my oven, mostly because I don't make that much pizza: If you are going to get a steel cut to size at a machine shop (probably your cheapest alternative, should you have a machine shop within easy shouting distance), you might want to get a couple of hand-holds cut in the front side. I would expect a steel of that size, 1/4 to 1/2 inches thick, to be fairly heavy, and handholds would sure make it easier to handle when you took it out or put it in.

It's been my experience that most folks who own/run small machine shops are generally open to you coming in and saying, "Hey, I need something this wide and this deep, shaped like this. My father made me a cutting board shaped like a pig, and wound up having a cottage industry of people who wanted one like it. 

That's a very good suggestion kayb.  I have a steel plate and it a chore to pry off the oven rack....it has not handles.

• Like 1

Very simple dinner tonight - as we leave tomorrow for Thanksgiving in Northampton MA with our daughter.  Roasted potatoes, salad and a piece of sirloin done in the oven/broiler. 

DSC01874.jpg

I would have prefered to have grilled the steak but there was the condition of the grill - and the foot and a half of snow against the door leading to the porch where the grill is located.

DSC01873.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Works for me! 

I do dearly love pineapple upside down cake. I make it often with this cake recipe. Now, if I could just master a soft-boiled egg...

I have soft boiled egg down pretty well...if only I could say the same for pineapple upside down cake.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 22/11/2016 at 10:10 PM, ElainaA said:

I would have prefered to have grilled the steak but there was the condition of the grill - and the foot and a half of snow against the door leading to the porch where the grill is located.

DSC01873.jpg

Several years ago I dug a trench through waist-deep snow to the grill, so my late wife -- a Californian, mind you -- could scratch her itch for a grilled steak. I did the digging, she did the grilling (although I'm a culinary professional, only she could cook a steak exactly the way *she* liked it). 

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg

Another very simple meal. Sauteed boneless, skinless chicken thighs and tomato and cucumber dressed with pomegranate molasses. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/22/2016 at 9:10 PM, ElainaA said:

Very simple dinner tonight - as we leave tomorrow for Thanksgiving in Northampton MA with our daughter.  Roasted potatoes, salad and a piece of sirloin done in the oven/broiler. 

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

Oh come on now, that wee bit of snow stopped ya!? ;)

Up in the Great White North we had freezing rain last night, I had chicken marinading in Greek spices - my wife asked if I was still going to BBQ - 'If you want real Greek food' I replied, as I headed out to the deck.

Then again, I did have a freshly carved path through the snow courtesy of my 3 year old taking advantage of the first years snow and erecting the inaugural snowbeast (I hesitate to call it snowman due to its rather odd characteristics)

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 4

thanksgiving prep is going so smoothly that I have time to come on and see what everyone's been cooking.  Here's a couple of meals from earlier this week.  Fish tacos made with hake

fish tacos.jpg

and then last night, soft pretzel sticks

soft pretzels.jpg

and cheddar-bacon soup to dip them in

cheddar bacon soup.jpg

• Like 23

Seafood chowder, perfect for cool nights.  Cod, shrimp, WA oysters and potatoes.  Today I'll put in some Alaska smoked salmon for a seafood chowder for Thanksgiving.

IMG_1325.JPG

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Seafood chowder, perfect for cool nights.  Cod, shrimp, WA oysters and potatoes.  Today I'll put in some Alaska smoked salmon for a seafood chowder for Thanksgiving.

IMG_1325.JPG

One time my Father put oysters in the stuffing, and it was awful.  But he always said that we should eat oysters at Thanksgiving because that's what the Pilgrims ate.

• Like 2

Last night we had burgers.  I had mine sans bun.  Cooked at 133F SV with my new Joule, then dusted with MBP and torch-seared. Served with Tater Tots made in the air fryer, peas with butter and salad.

burger.jpg

• Like 16

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Last night we had burgers.  I had mine sans bun.  Cooked at 133F SV with my new Joule, then dusted with MBP and torch-seared. Served with Tater Tots made in the air fryer, peas with butter and salad.

burger.jpg

Those tots look crisp.  I've got the air fryer on my Christmas list

• Like 2

Last night, the older daughter cooked dinner for me for my birthday. Pork loin, mashed potatoes and corn. I would've been happy even if the food wasn't good... but it was good. Loved every bite.

• Like 9

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Last night, the older daughter cooked dinner for me for my birthday. Pork loin, mashed potatoes and corn. I would've been happy even if the food wasn't good... but it was good. Loved every bite.

It makes me very happy that my son loves to cook.  I can even share my kitchen cooking side by side with him when he visits.  It does not hurt that we share a glass of wine as we cook!

• Like 6

Madhur Jaffrey's Duck Vindaloo

Inspiration for dinner can come from many different places. A chance reading on the BBC website  of the curry house that was awarded a Michelin star did it for me.  According to what I was reading a Danish prince used to visit once a year to enjoy the duck vindaloo and I believe he had his own beer shipped ahead of him.  Answered the ever recurring question, "So what's for dinner?"

I thought the suggestion of serving it with a side of sautéed endive was nothing if not brilliant. But as I was sauteeing  my Belgian endive, I realized she probably meant chicory. Separated as always by a common language.  But it worked just fine for me. The flatbread is m'msen that I made earlier and documented over in the bread topic. 

image.jpeg

So much for simplicity. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of the simplest dishes I know of, but a firm favourite which, for some reason, I haven't made in a while.

Kidney (porcine in this case, although any will be fine), mushrooms (again, any) and yellow Chinese chives*. Stir fried with a chilli (from the balcony)  and anointed with a little Shaoxing wine and a tiny amount of soy sauce.

Served with rice.

Kidney mushroom yellow chives.jpg

(The lack of clarity in the picture is caused by me catching it through a cloud of steam. My kitchen is very cold and the food was very hot. And I was in a hurry to take the picture then eat dinner before it froze!)

*Yellow Chinese chives - 韭黄  jiǔ huáng - (sometimes called "hothouse chives") are regular Chinese chives which are grown in the dark so they do not turn green. They taste more subtle than the green ones, but have a noticeably stronger aroma. I bought them this morning in the local market and had them in a closed bag. When I went into the local store to pick up a beer or six, the woman behind the counter said "Oh! You bought yellow chives. My favourite." She couldn't see them; just smell them.

Hothouse Chives 1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto