• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

Keep this among us but I have been know to put the garlic bread on my plate and ladle the sauce on it.  Sometimes that pasta stuff gets in the way and takes up to much tummy space. That space is better served by bread and sauce!

• Like 9

Chicken soup with extra brown rice noodles for John.

I had Ritz crackers; John had a gluten free roll with avocado oil and half an avocado with a sprinkle of salt.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Salmon cooked SV then glazed with a maple syrup and bourbon glaze and torch-seared.  Served with green beans in butter and salad.  This was my first attempt with a maple/bourbon glaze and I quite liked it.

maple-salmon.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

No disrespect - but could someone explain the following...

I never did quite get the whole 'bread with dinner' concept.  I understand (and love) the traditional bread course, but please explain:

- Bread with pasta

- Bread with risotto

Sorry, maybe it's just me!

Not sure how to link but over in Food Traditions and Culture I had started a thread on "Bread with Meals". 

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

For me bread with pasta or risotto is an Italian thing, a must do. We even have an older family friend who enjoys Chinese food, but feels the need to fill his pockets with bread before entering the restaurant.

Here's another meal with bread !

Moroccan meatballs in a spicy Harissa sauce, with herby couscous, honey baby carrots, marinated mushrooms, salad and flatbreads.

IMG_2914.JPG

• Like 15

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

No disrespect - but could someone explain the following...

I never did quite get the whole 'bread with dinner' concept.  I understand (and love) the traditional bread course, but please explain:

- Bread with pasta

- Bread with risotto

Sorry, maybe it's just me!

Yup.  It's just you. :x (That's my way of telling you I'm teasing you.)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Somehow the meals accumulate without getting posted.

Baked cod (CI's "crunchy oven fried fish" - I really don't get the 'oven fried' bit - but it was very good) with potatoes and a red cabbage/carrot/apple slaw.

DSC01853.jpg

Kielbasa, potato and pepper hash. I made this for our New Year's day brunch last year and it was a huge hit. With salad.

DSC01850.jpg

It was Barney's night to cook so he made one of his (and my) favorites - Marcella's 'thin steaks with tomatoes and olives' and pasta with garlic, parsley and evo. These was also a salad.

DSC01846.jpg

• Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I wanted to try the pork tenderloin tapa recipe in the new Milk Street issue. I have never been to a tapas bar and only have a vague idea of what it's all about. I had no intention of trying to create an authentic menu but did want to round out the meal with other bite size  offerings. I had shrimp scampi, stuffed mushrooms, three kinds of Spanish cheeses, hard cooked eggs,  Italian salami, rice, cherry peppers, and olives.  We thought the pork tapa was good but it might have been better if I had cut the pork in smaller pieces, then refrigerated and marinated in the dry rub over night. 

DSCN3848.jpg

DSCN3850.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16

image.jpeg

I promise the soup has made its last appearance for this cycle!  But I found some lovely baby turnips yesterday, there is still a piece of veal in the freezer and I'm pretty sure I have all of the other ingredients.  I also picked up some sweet paprika which is what the recipe calls for. This last batch was made with sweet smoked paprika.  I don't think it did any harm but I still think I prefer the original recipe.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

dinner.jpg

Finely diced chicken breast, marinated in Shaoxing wine and light soy sauce with garlic and red chilli pepper then stir fried. Finished with some fresh coriander leaf / cilantro. Accompanied by pickled "snow vegetable" (雪菜 xuě cài) which are pickled mustard greens. Rice.

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Pulled pork.  Rubbed with MeatHead's Memphis Dust and smoked at 225F for just shy of 10 hours to an IT of 203F.  

pulled-pork-w2.jpg

pulled-pork-p2.jpg

Awwwww, yeah! That looks like the "real stuff," sure enough. (Coming from a long-time Memphis-area resident, that's high praise!)

If you have any leftovers, cube and fry some sweet potatoes, adding some 'cue at the last minute, just long enough to heat it up. Sprinkle the resultant hash with a bit of the Dust, decorate with a squiggle of barbecue sauce, and top it with an over easy egg. Most excellent breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner, for that matter.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Due to technical problems I've not been posting pictures recently.  Here are a couple recent dinners:

Crust11072016.png

Shell steak meets Falk.

Dinner11072016.png

Plated with sautéed mushrooms and broccolini.  Not shown:  baguette and béarnaise.  The Boursin remained untouched.

Dinner11142016.png

Chicken Marsala, endive a la @mm84321

Baguette, of course.

• Like 19

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Awwwww, yeah! That looks like the "real stuff," sure enough. (Coming from a long-time Memphis-area resident, that's high praise!)

If you have any leftovers, cube and fry some sweet potatoes, adding some 'cue at the last minute, just long enough to heat it up. Sprinkle the resultant hash with a bit of the Dust, decorate with a squiggle of barbecue sauce, and top it with an over easy egg. Most excellent breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner, for that matter.

Thanks for the praise!  Hash is what we usually do with the last of the leftovers, except I'll use regular potatoes instead of sweet and also fry some onions with the potatoes, adding them when the potatoes are about half done.  Sometimes I'll add in some peas. For the eggs, I crack them right on top of the hash, lower the flame and cover, poaching them in place.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs