• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

It's cold in San Diego and I am in the mood for comfort food!

Bone marrow from Siesel's, my butcher shop, prepared a la Fergus Henderson, with a little parsley, shallots and caper salad on the side.

I love this stuff. I just wish the butcher could cut the bones in the other direction.

Bone marrow a la Fergus Henderson

Bone marrow a la Fergus Henderson

Roast chicken, prepared following the method from Les Halles, slightly simplified (butter instead of herb butter under the skin). Served with roasted potatoes and cauliflower.

Roast chicken

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 19

Tonight, I had a Caesar salad with angel hair pasta with ham, baby peas, ham, and a creamy sauce. I had trouble eating all the ham I put in it for adequate protein, so for dessert, I had cottage cheese with some fresh pineapple. Otherwise, the pasta dish was very good. The ham was fine too, but I don't like to eat much meat anymore unless it's perfect, like @Dejah's prime rib posted above.

Did y'all know that pineapples are one of the fruits that continue to ripen at room temp? I didn't until very recently. When it was gifted to me, my pineapple was still green at the top and golden at the bottom. As it sat on a sunny windowsill over the kitchen sink for a few days, the golden color spread up to the top, and every time I would go over to the sink after having been out of the area for a while, the intoxicating smell of ripe, fragrant pineapple would hit me. Too bad it took me this long to catch on to the fact that one does not have to settle for green, under ripe fresh pineapple.

Last night, I broiled the deferred pork chop with salt, pepper and lots of fresh rosemary that I foraged from the garden at the nursing home while visiting my husband. Couldn't eat all of the pork chop either. I served with a baked sweet potato with butter and salt, and more broccoli and cheddar. I also broiled some of the fresh pineapple with the pork. They took about the same time, which surprised me.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight was Tandoori Murgh from Indian Cookery by Dharamjit Singh, p120.  This is a dish I've prepared a few times in the far distant past and remembered fondly.  I'd put off making it for the last two weeks but neither the chicken nor I was getting any younger.

Singh's Tandoori Murgh is not like most tandoori chicken recipes I've seen.  There is no capsicum nor garam masala.  The skinless chicken is rubbed with a dry paste of ginger, coriander seeds, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, and salt.  Spit roasted and basted with an onion thickened saffron sauce including almonds, raisins, and yoghurt.  The chicken is served with the pan drippings loosened with a little butter.

The onions cooked slowly for an hour.  After finally getting the chicken on the spit I scrubbed the sink with bleach and wearing nothing but goggles sprayed the area down with disinfectant.  Sorry, no picture.  I then stepped in the shower, being careful to remove the goggles before I shampooed my hair.

My verdict is the chicken was good but not worth the effort.  The predominant flavor was cloves.  The sauce came out too greasy, though this was I'm sure the cook's error.  I don't remember it like that before.  Anyhow, I liked the dish as well as tandoori chicken I've had in restaurants.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight was Tandoori Murgh from Indian Cookery by Dharamjit Singh, p120.  This is a dish I've prepared a few times in the far distant past and remembered fondly.  I'd put off making it for the last two weeks but neither the chicken nor I was getting any younger.

Singh's Tandoori Murgh is not like most tandoori chicken recipes I've seen.  There is no capsicum nor garam masala.  The skinless chicken is rubbed with a dry paste of ginger, coriander seeds, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, and salt.  Spit roasted and basted with an onion thickened saffron sauce including almonds, raisins, and yoghurt.  The chicken is served with the pan drippings loosened with a little butter.

The onions cooked slowly for an hour.  After finally getting the chicken on the spit I scrubbed the sink with bleach and wearing nothing but goggles sprayed the area down with disinfectant.  Sorry, no picture.  I then stepped in the shower, being careful to remove the goggles before I shampooed my hair.

My verdict is the chicken was good but not worth the effort.  The predominant flavor was cloves.  The sauce came out too greasy, though this was I'm sure the cook's error.  I don't remember it like that before.  Anyhow, I liked the dish as well as tandoori chicken I've had in restaurants.

"...I scrubbed the sink with bleach and wearing nothing but goggles sprayed the area down with disinfectant.  Sorry, no picture.  I then stepped in the shower, being careful to remove the goggles before I shampooed my hair." 

I'm getting too old for that.  I wash my hands and gargle with two fingers of scotch instead. Seems to work just as well.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I picked up this Sichuan bacon a few days ago then sat looking at it trying to decide what to do with it, although I already knew exactly what I was going to do. 

Sichuan bacon.jpg

One of my favourites. Very simple. Stir fried cauliflower with bacon and two types of chilli (and garlic). Normally, I'd finish it with scallions or Chinese chives, but guess what I forgot to buy. No soy sauce. The bacon is mildly salty, but enough to season the dish. Served with rice.

sichuan bacon with cauli2.jpg

It is, I suppose, one of those Chinese dishes where the vegetable is the main component and the protein acts almost as a condiment. Whatever, I like it!

sichuan bacon with cauli1.jpg

I only used about a quarter of the bacon, so expect to see it turn up in future posts very shortly.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

I am curious to know a little more about the bacon. It is obviously very different from anything I know as bacon and it does not appear to be smoked.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

I am curious to know a little more about the bacon. It is obviously very different from anything I know as bacon and it does not appear to be smoked.  

Doesn't it resemble what I've heard described as Canadian bacon?

In my worlds, both in the UK and China, bacon may be smoked or unsmoked and it isn't necessarily belly pork. In fact, this is smoked, but very lightly, but it doesn't have to be. This one is cured in salt and sugar with some distilled rice-wine alcohol rub then, as noted, slightly smoked.

Here is another bacon. Very smoked. This one is from Hunan and is hanging in my balcony.

烟薰腊肉.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:
58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

In my worlds, both in the UK and China, bacon may be smoked or unsmoked and it isn't necessarily belly pork. 

Those look dry cured, to my eye...is that the case? "Canadian" bacon (here we call it "back bacon, or "peameal bacon" if it's rolled in cornmeal) is not. It's basically just a pork loin, cured and smoked but not dried. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Here is another bacon. Very smoked. This one is from Hunan and is hanging in my balcony.

烟薰腊肉.jpg

Oh the techniques one learns from eGullet!  I shall have to hang my bacon on balcony!  (I have put frozen food out there when there was no room in the freezer.)

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

In my worlds, both in the UK and China, bacon may be smoked or unsmoked and it isn't necessarily belly pork. In fact, this is smoked, but very lightly, but it doesn't have to be. This one is cured in salt and sugar with some distilled rice-wine alcohol rub then, as noted, slightly smoked.

烟薰腊肉.jpg

This looks like the wind-dried Lap Yook my Mom used to make: soy sauce, rice wine, spices, sugar but not smoked. It has to be cooked before eating, but it is fabulous cooked on top of rice or sliced and stir-fried with veg as you did, @liuzhou:_)

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Been eating a lot of beef lately, so last night was pickerel night!
It was coated with coconut flour, dipped in egg, then bread crumbs from my low-carb bread. Served with oven fried potatoes (looks like someone's "flat fries" :) and roasted cauliflower. Steamed green beans is my choice of veg while hubby had canned corn.

Pickerel 0005.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sort of shakshuka, the egg yolk was a bit firm, but otherwise all good. This was a crafty use of leftovers, I had the potato, silverbeet, cheddar and ricotta filling from Sundays pasties, cooked with onions, garlic and tomatoes. Served with a beef, black pepper and parsley snag or two.

IMG_3049.JPG

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

This looks like the wind-dried Lap Yook my Mom used to make: soy sauce, rice wine, spices, sugar but not smoked. It has to be cooked before eating, but it is fabulous cooked on top of rice or sliced and stir-fried with veg as you did, @liuzhou:_)

Yes, it is a form of lap yook (la rou in Mandarin). In Hunan, it is often smoked ~ they love smoke with their chillies.

Bit of using things up today - burgers with vegetables getting a bit past-it used in one way or another (salad, burger topping, guacamole for burger topping, etc.) to clean out the fridge. I had to hold the potatoes longer than I planned so they got more crispy than I meant them to on the outside, but still tasty.

• Like 3

Sweet and not sour cabbage borscht.  My wife said she doesn't like the sour, so I left it out, and cut back some on the sugar as well.  Still tasty on this cold and rainy night.  Made with chuck, carrots, tomato (diced and sauce) and onion, slow cooked for 8 hours.  Served with dill rye toast and salad.

cabbage-soup.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

11 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Sweet and not sour cabbage borscht.  My wife said she doesn't like the sour, so I left it out, and cut back some on the sugar as well.  Still tasty on this cold and rainy night.  Made with chuck, carrots, tomato (diced and sauce) and onion, slow cooked for 8 hours.  Served with dill rye toast and salad.

cabbage-soup.jpg

I'd be curious for the recipe, did I miss it already?

• Like 1

Fish sandwich with banh mi flavors.  The fish was from my weekly share and was sand dabs.  My share runs in eight week cycles, and you can opt out of any weeks that you are traveling, which I will be doing next week.  This was week seven of the cycle, and therefore marks the first time ever I have made it through an eight-week cycle without getting pollock.  I love my fish share but really, really dislike pollock.  I keep trying new ways to cook it, but have not found a keeper yet.  If anyone has a good recipe I'd love to see it, because I am sure to get pollock at least once in the next cycle.

fish banh mi.jpg

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

More broiled oysters at Deb's request. The 75 cents each price is still on. This time, I used aluminum foil to stabilize each shell and contain the liquor with good results.

HC

IMG_0634.JPG

I thought of you today at the Asian market, where I'd gone to get quail eggs. They had oysters 2 for a dollar. I thought about getting some, but I've never been able to bring myself to buy any kind of seafood there because it smells so awful.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com