• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

Host's note: this topic has been split into multiple segments to improve server efficiency; the previous segment is here: Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

This was somewhere between a kedgeree and a fishy Chinese fried rice.

Cod, prawns, egg, chilli, turmeric, green onions and rice.

prawn rice.jpg

Preceded by a mushroom soup - not pictured - looked like the usual muddy pond, but tasted great. Shiitake, King oyster (eryngii) and Straw mushrooms.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pheasant and quail season opened Saturday.  So, last night we had fried pheasant strips, gizzards, livers and hearts.  Fries and brussels sprouts to go with.  I'm so excited to have some quail!  You can see two of them on the bottom left side of the picture.  We will have those this week sometime.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 18

I was at a large Chinese megalomart this am. 

aside from the crushing disappointment that they no longer carried the refrigerated pork buns I love , they do have Fz duck

they run about 8 USD a piece  .  same ducks fz at MarketBasket  etc at 11.99

odd they are not listed by lbs   but by duck at the ChinaMart.

Ill start with them.  one DB would be a decent mid-sized serving for one , the the legs for the second course a la Madaleine Kamman.

Id get the fat to render , and the carcass for some IP'd stock.

• Like 5

Turkey Ragu 

Spatboll.jpg

very tasty  

ground turkey + diced bacon + jarred marinara  

IP'd 20 minutes

linguini  cooked in the FastaPasta

turkey ragu was frozen in batches and vacuum sealed and Fz

can't be much easier than that

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I was at a large Chinese megalomart this am.

aside from the crushing disappointment that they no longer carried the refrigerated pork buns I love , they do have Fz duck

they run about 8 USD a piece  .  same ducks fz at MarketBasket  etc at 11.99

odd they are not listed by lbs   but by duck at the ChinaMart.

Ill start with them.  one DB would be a decent mid-sized serving for one , the the legs for the second course a la Madaleine Kamman.

Id get the fat to render , and the carcass for some IP'd stock.

That's cheap!

You might be shocked how small the breasts are though. On two occasions I had bought a similar bird and  the breasts were just a little bigger than my thumb.

The legs on those scrawny birds were good though

• Like 1

@Tri2Cook I also don't have fresh fenugreek leaves available (unless I try to germinate some seeds), so I used the seeds in my recipe. I think I like them better then (dry) leaves anyway.
My spice mix included said fenugreek, cumin, coriander, mustard, fennel, chili and dry curry leaves, toasted in oil then ground, to which I added (not toasted) turmeric, paprika and black pepper.

Edited by shain
Forgot to list mustard seeds (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, shain said:

@Tri2Cook I also don't have fresh fenugreek leaves available (unless I try to germinate some seeds)...

I've done that. You'll get a surprisingly good germination rate (probably because they're a sort of small bean) and they'll grow nicely in a pot indoors. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

I miss bounty Harvests  --Like that  @Shelby

We have little to no Pheasant/Quail  in my area any more.  Rural Omaha area

Oh man, I know.  My husband used to hunt up there a lot years ago..........

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Roasted carnival squash with miso-maple butter. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No disrespect - but could someone explain the following...

I never did quite get the whole 'bread with dinner' concept.  I understand (and love) the traditional bread course, but please explain:

- Bread with pasta

- Bread with risotto

Sorry, maybe it's just me!

• Like 2

I guess everyone has their own answer to that. For me, it's mostly about pleasing textural contrasts and mopping up the sauce/gravy. Also I'm not a carbophobe, so going a little heavier on 'em at one sitting isn't that big a deal (I don't fall into the "gotta have it at every meal" camp), I'll just have less at another meal.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

27 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I guess everyone has their own answer to that. For me, it's mostly about pleasing textural contrasts and mopping up the sauce/gravy. Also I'm not a carbophobe, so going a little heavier on 'em at one sitting isn't that big a deal (I don't fall into the "gotta have it at every meal" camp), I'll just have less at another meal.

If a sauce/gravy is present, you don't have to convince me.

But in my examples, both of the carbs (pasta and rice) are there to do that very job, take on the sauce.

I have nothing against carbs in any way shape or form - I simply don't understand the phenomenon (specifically bread with pasta, but the post above with risotto reminded me of my perceived conundrum)!

• Like 1

I love bread too.  I just had the most amazing (outside of France) french baguette (Rahier, for anyone from Toronto) for lunch, and could eat it just with churned butter.  But I wouldn't think to eat that with a big plate of say, Carbonara for example.

I wonder where that (the metaballs/garlic bread) phenomenon started...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I love bread too.  I just had the most amazing (outside of France) french baguette (Rahier, for anyone from Toronto) for lunch, and could eat it just with churned butter.  But I wouldn't think to eat that with a big plate of say, Carbonara for example.

I wonder where that (the metaballs/garlic bread) phenomenon started...

'Cause ya gotta dip the bread in the sauce :) 

• Like 4