• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

Only on eG  could one consider French Catfish Pie Soup on New Year's Day.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Made an eggplant and zucchini lasagna before leaving for work this morning.

Eggplant and Zucchini for Lasagna December 30th, 2016 3.jpg

Good god!  Do you get out of bed at 3am??:D

Beautiful as usual.

• Like 3

image.jpeg

A traybake as the Brits like to call them. Potatoes and kielbasa roasted on a quarter sheet pan. 

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A traybake as the Brits like to call them.

Well, I'm British and have been for a very long time, but I never heard of a "traybake" until now.

But what do I know? Mr Google has several tray bakes, some identifiably British. But every definition I can see say it is a sweet dish.

tray bake

noun

British
  • A type of cake or similar sweet food which is baked in a square or rectangular container and cut into individual pieces for serving:

(Oxford Dictionaries)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Nothing bad about sour cream or creme fraiche with fried or roasted potatoes, but if you are serving a brisket with your latkes you most likely wouldn't do dairy with that, you would do applesauce. That's always been my own preference: home made applesauce with a squeeze of lemon and a dusting of cinnamon. If I'm serving potato pancakes with a vegetarian meal, I might serve both apple sauce and a dairy topping on the side. 

For New Years Day tomorrow I'm going French Hanukah by way of the Carolinas: Duck fat roasted potatoes with a side of apples sautéed in butter and a drizzle of Steen's cane syrup. And I will make some simple vegetable potage, just because I have some chard and misc vegetables rolling around the crisper and a quart of turkey stock in the freezer. So that would be French Catfish Pie Soup.

But then, I've always contended my latkes were "Methodist latkes" because I fry them in bacon fat...

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

42 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, I'm British and have been for a very long time, but I never heard of a "traybake" until now.

But what do I know? Mr Google has several tray bakes, some identifiably British. But every definition I can see say it is a sweet dish.

Oh ye of little faith.   There is a little more British than the BBC. Click

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

A traybake as the Brits like to call them. Potatoes and kielbasa roasted on a quarter sheet pan. 

I don't recall hearing the term 'traybake' in this context when I lived in England - perhaps it tends to be regional? I was mostly nearish London. However, whatever you call it, that looks delicious and I am going to make a note to try it next time I find the good kielbasa in the store, as I am all in favor of limited mess meals for busy days. I think I'd probably start the potatoes first, then add the sausage assuming it is pre-cooked? Roast potatoes always seem to take forever for me.

I suspect the term is recent rather than regional. The equivalent North American term at least for the savoury version is sheet pan dinner/supper. 

Edited to add link.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/31/2016 at 6:48 PM, Anna N said:

I suspect the term is recent

Could be. The Oxford English Dictionary doesn't list it.

Host's note: This ends the series of Dinner posts for 2016.  The 2017 topic begins here: Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto