• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

I cooked fried zucchini for myself tonight. I ate a little over a pound of it in raw weight. I love fried zucchini! Then I took a chicken leg quarter that had been spiced with chicken seasoning salt, black pepper, thyme, a chili powder I really like, and a ton of ground cayenne, since I was cooking for myself. After I let this sit for about twenty minutes while I was frying the zucchini planks in two batches, I shook the spiced chicken in the same bag with flour I'd used for the zukes and fried in in the same oil. I ate the fried zukes as they were hot and ready as an appetizer.

I also made a pot of plain white rice and ate a little. I have three leftover portions of rice in the freezer, because I've found when I've tried to cook less than one cup of dry rice on the stovetop, I can never get it to turn out right.

I'm finding leftovers are the bane of a single person. My freezer is crammed with two wedges of ham and mushroom quiche, a quart of pinto beans cooked with pork, onions and jalapenos that I froze in one batch, before I became a single eater. We could have gone through that quart of beans in a couple days before with the first night being bean soup and cornbread, and the second night refried bean, cheese and onion burritos. Now, I'll have to thaw it all out, and make a bunch of burritos for the freezer.

I've also got two wedges of cornbread, a batch of ham biscuits, succotash with onions, peppers and tomatoes, a huge serving of Cincinnati chili, which I'll add the onions and cheese on the reheat, and on and on. I've got to learn quickly how to cook only what I can consume or cook a lot less frequently, which was almost every day before.

What I was cooking to cover the two of us for one day now lasts me three days, and planned overs for two days last six now. :blink: I truly hope this doesn't result on my giving up and surviving on prepared frozen entrees. They have declined a lot since the last time I was single, so that is something that's going to steer me to cooking from fresh ingredients. 

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What a pain, I seem to have lost a carefully crafted post.

Anyhow I was taken by a submission from @sartoric a couple of nights ago of her sumac dusted lamb cutlets.  Forgive me, I'm finishing a second mai tai while waiting for my interminable baguette to cool, so posting after dinner may or may not be practical.

Having no sumac in house, per se, I have two lamb chops crusted in za'atar from fair trade women owned Palestinian cooperatives ready to be grilled.  Za'atar of which sumac is a major ingredient.  To be served with thirty second green beans, said baguette, and Boursin.  Zinfandel ad libitum.  Salad should I make it that far.

I keep reading this obsessively to try to determine with certainty if it's the chops or the women who are waiting to be grilled. Have poured another two fingers of scotch.  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I keep reading this obsessively to try to determine with certainty if it's the chops or the women who are waiting to be grilled. Have poured another two fingers of scotch.  

I thought it was the cooperatives which were ready to be grilled.

Have poured another beer.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

No women have been harmed, much as I would wish there were some here to grill.  The lamb was perfect, if I may use that term.  The zinfandel was excellent.  And the baguette was not that bad at all.  I skipped the salad.

Now I am off to World of Warcraft and I expect I shall die a lot.  Still musing about my dear mentor the green fairy.

Edit:  and I didn't die...even did some cooking quests.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No women have been harmed, much as I would wish there were some here to grill.  The lamb was perfect, if I may use that term.  The zinfandel was excellent.  And the baguette was not that bad at all.  I skipped the salad.

Now I am off to World of Warcraft and I expect I shall die a lot.  Still musing about my dear mentor the green fairy.

I would never have expected to find an egulleter on wow for some reason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I would never have expected to find an egulleter on wow for some reason.

Never underestimate Society members and their shenanigans.xD

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday dinner. Handmade egg noodles with stir fried mushrooms, smoked firm tofu, scallions and cabbage. Sauce made with orange juice and zest, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, chili, fennel seeds, pepper, very little brown sugar and a couple of cloves. Toasted cashews.

20161202_194622.jpg20161201_220852.jpg

Todays dinner is not very photogenic (but quick and very tasty) - buckwheat (roasted, not green) with fried onion and mushrooms, mixed with avocado and plenty of pepper. Served warm with some sour cream.

20161205_200100.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

Excellent looking meals everyone.

We had sous vide rib eyes (browned in my new steel pan); mushrooms, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and baked little red potatoes.  Finally got a good sear on the steaks using some pressure.

DSC01774.jpgDSC01776.jpgDSC01777.jpg

• Like 19

21 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

After reading some posts on Vivian Howard's book Deep Run Roots, I noted that season 4 was on the PBS  website but has not been picked up by my local PBS stations.  After watching episode 1 I had to do something with spring onions that were growing in pots out back.    These were re-grown from the root ends of onions from the market 

sautéed  them then added corn cut off the cob along with some fresh basil from the garden.   Simmered in a little cream and half and half then topped with Patagonian scallops.  Served with a side of sliced mini cucumbers and tomatoes with a dressing enhanced with green onions.  Yes it was rich but darn tasty!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That...looks...astounding. I want it. Now.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

beef shank.jpg

It having finally gotten winter here (it isn't that cold, but as it's been summer-ish for the past month, and it was overcast and rainy as well as much cooler, it FELT like winter), I decided it was pot roast time. A rummage in the freezer turned up two packages of beef shank, cut crosswise about two inches thick, and rather fancifully labeled "osso buco" by the butcher. Those, I determined, would do.

I salted, peppered and browned them, poured in a cup of red wine and let that simmer a bit, then added a quartered onion, several small redskin potatoes, and some chunked-up carrots, clapped a top on it, and transferred it to the oven at 300F for four hours. Perfection.

beef shank 2.jpg

It hit the spot, both in terms of suiting the day and being just what I needed to aid my recovery along. I may have had another plate just like this one. Many leftovers, some of which will be repurposed into shredded beef with gravy to go over mashed potatoes, some which will be shredded for roast beef and Swiss sandwiches, and some of which will go into beef and vegetable soup. I usually add the marrow to the soup for extra richness, but am thinking about what I might want to do separately with that for a special treat. Suggestions?

• Like 16

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

I spent far too much time this evening studying the menu of our local Chinese delivery place. All I really wanted were  some egg rolls but it's hard to justify not only the delivery charge but a tip for the driver for a few egg rolls.  But that didn't change the fact that I was hungry and so roasted potatoes and parsnips with a dusting of Parmesan cheese.   Don't search for logic as you will be disappointed.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Apologies for the lack of visuals -

Oven roasted wings (v crispy!)

Greek Yogurt Dill dipping sauce

Roasted Spuds in chicken wing fat

Sauteed Zucchini & Peas tossed in at the end for good measure (and because the little rugrat loves 'em).

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 5

Leftovers tonight from our Indian feast yesterday. 

Half a vegetable samosa, cauliflower pakora, saag paneer, lamb curry, daal, rice, butter chicken. Not particularly pretty since it all mushed together a bit in the to go box.

IMG_1842.JPG

• Like 8

Dinner was supposed to have been Tandoori Murgh from Indian Cookery by Dharamjit Singh.  This is a favorite dish I have made a few times before, but not for many years.  Turns out I did not have the ginger.  The store seemed so far away, but then I got a call from my doctor's office that they had called in a prescription for a pain medication I had been asking for.

I limped over to the pharmacy as fast I could.  Turns out the medication is not covered by my Medicare insurance.  Sorry if that is too much information.  I asked myself "What would Captain Jack have done?"  My rum monger is two doors down from the pharmacy.  I came home with a bottle of Wray & Nephew and the ingredients for Tandoori Murgh, but not the energy to make it.

Dinner was CSO roast chicken, mashed potato, cranberry sauce, and English peas.  This is comfort food.  Picture taken but that is as far as it goes.

Liter of methode rotuts.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 05/12/2016 at 0:46 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I'm finding leftovers are the bane of a single person.

I eventually came to embrace them, because the concomitant of solo dining is "It's hardly worth the effort of cooking [x] for just me..."

After I while I just cooked my usual batch of whatever, and portioned it into the fridge and freezer. Days when I didn't feel like cooking (which were plentiful) or when I was busy with work and didn't think of it until mealtime (ditto) I'd just pull out the first thing that came to hand, and reheat it. 

Things are more complicated now because I'm perfectly happy with the first-thing methodology, but my GF has to be "in the mood" for a specific food. This, I've found, complicates meal-planning decisions profoundly. I have also come to notice that that what she's in the mood for very seldom corresponds to any leftovers we have on hand. :P

So...my lunch on any given day is generally a previous day's leftovers. 

• Like 10

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning