• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, I poured smoking oil over my foot.  And, yes it, hurts, but not nearly as much as the other foot.  Not to worry I am going to the doctor in a few hours.

JoNorvelleWalker,   Oh no.   That is awful.   I hope that they can easy the pain.  Not much worse than an oil burn.  

• Like 3

What gorgeous meals!

Thanksgiving was at my daughter's and I did not take pictures. None of us are that fond of turkey so we had lasagna. I made Marcella's Bolognese sauce and home made pasta so it was a holiday lasagna.

We got home Saturday. Sunday I made bread and  Barney made dinner: pasta with scallops, leeks and tomato.

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

Last night: Mark Bittman's Unstuffed Cabbage over rice. Not terribly photogenic but I really like it. The recipe makes a lot so we have lunch for a couple of days.

DSC01880.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Meet the 50/50  --  I wouldn't do this often--but I want to see the effect of increasing the fat content of a burger,  and slowly grill to render out most of the fat

to see  how it would turn out.  This was chuck and the fat was all the hard interstial stuff

31207531185_06ac80215e_o.jpg

Cooking--does show the rendered  spaces

31171905246_60e93fc5a2_o.jpg

The end result  -- 

• Like 16

Its good to have Morels

30501856304_0dfe1dbddf.jpg

Don't worry - I actually plated this stuff. But here it is right out of the oven - a pair of poussins roasted with

4 kinds of potatoes (red, and 3 different sweet potatoes). 

Those necks on the left were a good treat for the cook.

• Like 16

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

image.jpeg

So when I woke up this morning I knew that whatever was going to end up on my dinner plate it would include more of the roasted red potatoes I had yesterday.  Roasted chicken thighs and a pea salad made up the rest. 

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally remembered to take a picture (barely), sheesh.  My clay pot!  don't know why I don't use it more.  Dead easy.  Soak for 15 minutes; bung in the veggies, seasonings; a little stock and chicken; put in the oven for 75 minutes; drain off juices and thicken quickly with arrowroot = dinner (nuked some potato/sweet potato mash).  So moist and flavourful.

DSC01766.jpgDSC01768.jpgDSC01769.jpg

• Like 15

While the turkey stock works.....

pulled a premade lasagna for John for his lunch tomorrow which will go into the oven with

turkey tetrazzini made with leftover rice noodles, some of the stock that will be thickened with some arrowroot, carrots, sweet peas, sautéed baby cremini and onions and topped with some crunched up potato chips. 

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight I'm doing a nice rustic dish because the weather has been very cold and rainy. Tonight I'm cooking up Tuscan ragu, except that I did not have duck available, so I'm using chicken legs and thighs braised in a soffrito with red wine and tomatoes. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Captain said:

A simple Bangers & Mash dinner.

IMG_20161130_201808.jpg

Almost the same as my dinner in New Jersey except here in place of sausages it's a piece of lovely leftover steak from a couple nights ago.  Peas are already in the CSO about to be steamed.  Waiting for the potato to depressurize so I can mash it.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For the last few days, I've been away from home surviving on Snickers bars and the occasional leftovers nuked in a borrowed microwave. Work related.

Tonight, I finally got home at 8:30 pm and quickly put this dinner together.

dinner.jpg

Red-braised tofu (红烧豆腐 hóng shāo dòu fǔ) bought pre-cooked from the local market, dried chilli, and yellow hothouse chives (韭黄 jiǔ huáng) briefly stir fried then finished with a little soy sauce and sesame oil.

Jinhua ham sausage (金华腊肠 jīn huá là cháng) steamed on top of the accompanying rice, then sliced and fried with garlic,

Quick, simple, but plenty tasteful.

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

A take out turkey club with avocado and a side of broccoli salad. 

@Ann_T I really want to make a ham but have only tried ham steaks and they sucked. Any tips? Left over ham has so many good uses plus, I just love it. 

While I'm not AnnT, I'll pass on my favorite method for ham.

Buy a butt end, rather than a shank end, if you're buying half a ham.Stand it up on the cut side on a rack in a roasting pan. Score the skin/fat, almost all the way to the meat. Trim any fat that's more than an inch thick. Coat the whole thing liberally with cheap yellow mustard. Pack brown sugar all over it. Spritz the sugar with bourbon in a spray bottle. Tent it with foil, stick in the oven for 20 minutes per pound at 300F. Let it cool to room temp before you slice. (also works on a pre-sliced spiral ham, and even on a boneless one, although I think a bone-in has a better flavor).

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com