• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

As a non-southerner, I appreciate the recommendations for leftover pulled pork.

i have done only three or four pulled porks and love them but we need visitors in order to justify the amount of meat it makes.

It freezes fairly well, vacuum sealed, or just plastic bagged with as much air as possible squeezed out. I typically do that with a good portion of mine. I like it in potato soup, as well. I tried Brunswick stew last year, and was underwhelmed. Great in tacos, on nachos or quesadillas. Put it in fried rice or use in egg roll filling. Use it as the meat in a "spaghetti gravy."  Put it on a pizza.

Leftover pulled pork is about the most versatile meat in the world, except for leftover roast chicken.

@robirdstx, I believe your tacos may have inspired my dinner tonight. Lovely. Will be off to the store shortly to pick up avocados.....

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The most delicious pork chop there ever was (at least in my world! :D )

This was a one-pound chop from a heritage-breed pig I butchered at a butchery class. It was super juicy and flavorful; nothing like I've ever bought at other places. I cooked it on the grill for a few minutes on each side, and served it with roasted cauliflower from my CSA.

Butchery class at Heart & Trotter

Pork chop from the butchery class at Heart & Trotter

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Added picture from butchery class (log)
  • Like 24

Moroccan meatballs take two. I turned the couscous into a salad with preserved lemon, chopped honey carrots and soaked sultanas. Some fresh cottage cheese made from organic milk was mixed with chilli dressing. I called it cheese with bite. Marinated mushrooms and olive cheese bread.

IMG_2922.JPG

• Like 16

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

Moroccan meatballs take two. I turned the couscous into a salad with preserved lemon, chopped honey carrots and soaked sultanas. Some fresh cottage cheese made from organic milk was mixed with chilli dressing. I called it cheese with bite. Marinated mushrooms and olive cheese bread.

IMG_2922.JPG

and which do the lovely faces on the left prefer?

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Salisbury steak and romaine with a Caesar-like dressing. 

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Salisbury steak and romaine with a Caesar-like dressing. 

OMG.... I was just thinking of this but made a meatloaf instead

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

This or something similar has been on my radar for far too many years. It is a Parmesan pudding although I believe it has a formal Italian name. I was not in the least inclined to futz around with a bain marie and all its potential  hazards.   So I cooked in the Instant Pot. I tried eight minutes initially on high-pressure with 10 minute release and then did six minutes  to reach an appropriate level of doneness. It was very good but for me this was far too much for a serving. Next time I would divide it into two.  The tomato pesto was inappropriate and I would not repeat that step. The salad of endive,  watermelon radish and scallions did cut through the richness of the pudding. 

• Like 16

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

After being told off by the powers that be for my desserts indulgence......I was allowed only cheese.

I went for a nice Manchego with Bavarian bread and Beurre D'Isigny (D'Isigny Butter) with a nice Sancerre.

Moral of the story, you will get told off by the powers that be in each and every which way you turn.

My resolution for the New Year is the practical answer: Yes Dear!

_MG_3741_zpsa4kyq1xc.jpg

_MG_3746_zpshmkmyqhn.jpg

• Like 13

With a Husker Win!!

I brought out the big Guns.

Early Spring Bass and Northern Filets

This was double dipped in Flour, Lawrys Garlic salt, Lemon zest, pepper and sweet Hungarian Paparika31120447135_e247578098_o.jpg

Hot sauce of Mayo/Franks blend!!

• Like 13

Its good to have Morels

56 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Anna N -- would you share the recipe for Parmesan pudding? And if no tomato pesto, then what, if anything, would you recommend with it?

Parmesan Pudding (adapted from Solo Suppers by Joyce Goldstein)

Prepare a suitable baking dish by greasing it with butter, lining the bottom with parchment and buttering the parchment. (I used an 8 oz ramekin).

Make a roux with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of flour and cook on low heat for about 3 mins. Don't let it colour.  Whisk in 1/2 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 and cook on low, whisking, for about 4 mins or until beginning to thicken. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 yolk and 2/3 cup grated parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into prepared dish. 

You can bake it in a foil-covered bain marie at 350F x 20-25 mins or cook in a pressure cooker as I did. (Cover dish with foil, put 1 cup of water in PC, put in steamer rack, add pudding, bring to high pressure and cook for about 14 mins). Let pressure come down for 10 mins then realease any remaining steam). Rest pudding for 5 mins.  Run knife around inside of ramekin and unmold onto plate. 
Pudding is cooked when knife inserted in centre comes out clean. 

Suggested sauces were mushrooms sauteed with garlic, chives or thyme and salt and pepper. 

A green vegetable sauce-- 1/4 cup pureed peas, broccoli, asparagus or zucchini thinnedwith some heavy cream, seasoned and heated gently. 

A red pepper sauce. 

My estimate of 14 mins on high pressure is just that...an estimate. You might want to try 10 and add if needed. 

My 2004 eG Blog

It was pizza dinner yesterday. 

First is a pizza topped with lightly smoked ricotta with herbs, mozzarella, sauteed mushrooms and oven grilled eggplants. All of them baked on a baking steel under broiler, this one took 6 minutes to bake.

Second is a simple tomato sauce and mozzarella, slightly spicy. 5 minutes for this one.

And finally a couple of smaller calzones, filled with eggplant, tomato slices, spinach, basil and mozzarella. 7 minutes.

A little of a picture overload ahead - my apologies ^_^

20161119_142549.jpg20161119_150748.jpg20161119_150813.jpg20161119_151001.jpg20161119_151010.jpg20161119_153133(1).jpg20161119_153121.jpg20161119_155504.jpg20161119_155900.jpg20161119_160100.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 16

~ Shai N.

Are you mad?  AS IF there could be too many photos of a pizza crust that looks like that!  Would have been so much nicer without the eggplant. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

A nice big ribeye, cooked SV at 125F then dusted with Magic Browning Powder and torch-seared.  Served with baked potato (45 minutes in the air fryer), salad and too many glasses of red.

ribeye2.jpg

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

26 minutes ago, shain said:

Haha, I think I managed to find the perfect recipe for you: Okra, chickpeas, lentils and eggplant.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot put me off my lunch.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Our visitors this weekend brought supper Friday night. Shahedah made Curry Chicken with the curry powder her elder sister blended in their village mill.

It was full of flavour and delicious. She made crispy  ikan bilis  just before supper and I added stir-fried sugar snaps and coconut rice.

Anchovies0005.jpg

Malaysian Curry Chicken0007.jpg

Snap Peas 0006.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com