• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

12 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Vegan houseguest welcome dinner prep:

1. Spinach leaves, blanched and dressed in crushed garlic, honey, soy sauce, chilli flakes and black pepper;

I would love to be your vegan ot omnivore guest!  But honey is not vegan ;).  More dishes for me!

Porchetta; pork belly, rolled with garlic and rosemary, cooked sous vide for 36 hours and then bathed in oil (aka deep fried) and browned with my massive flamethrowing Searzall. It's the J. Kenji Lopez Alt recipe from SeriousEats.

We chopped it up and ate it wrapped in rice paper, with lettuce, mint, rice vermicelli, pickled carrot and daikon, crispy fried shallots and a fish sauce/lime juice/sugar/chilli dipping sauce.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 15

image.jpeg

Open face PBLT (pork belly, lettuce and tomato).  Yes I know bacon is usually pork belly but pork belly isn't always bacon.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight, I marinated some pig liver in Shaoxing wine then stir fried it with garlic, chilli, and flowering chives. Finished with a splash of soy sauce.

pig's liver and flowering chives 1.jpg

Also, stir fried some shredded cabbage with garlic, chilli and Hunan bacon (湖南腊肉 - hú nán là ròu)which had previously been steamed before slicing. Finished with some chopped scallions.

cabbage w larou.jpg

Served with rice - as usual.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Slightly bastardized kibbeh bil sanieh.
I made one filled with ground meat, and another with mushrooms - pan fried until brown. Both have some chickpeas and lentils added to the filling, as well as some eggplant flesh for extra juiciness.
It is flavored with bahart (allspice, cinnamon, cumin, pepper), sumac, parsley and chili. The crust is made of bulgur and semolina, with some yogurt, eggs, olive oil and more of the spices.

Served with plenty of lemony tahini sauce, chopped salad with olive oil and lemon and pickles.

20161229_155720.jpg

Sorry for the lack of a picture of the unsliced dish.

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

Last night...

XanthanNoodles12292016.png

More of the braised beef and another batch of noodles.  Baguette to wash down the noodles and potato.  Pot of braised beef lasts forever with one person.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

More of the braised beef and another batch of noodles.  Baguette to wash down the noodles and potato.  Pot of braised beef lasts forever with one person.

In a similar vein, Trev, our 4.5 kilo turkey provides many meals for two...

Here are some turkey vegetable pies, served with fresh tomato chutney and salad. There will be one more turkey dish on the near horizon, and a half breast is in the freezer !

IMG_3118.JPGIMG_3122.JPG

• Like 14

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, rarerollingobject said:

Crap! You're right..let's not tell the vegan.. ;)

Don't feel bad, @rarerollingobject

I'm currently reading Antonio Carluccio's Pasta:

"Pennoni Giardiniera"

"I have to include this recipe, because it has become very well known, at least in Carluccio's restaurants.  Some years ago the personnel at the Ealing Carluccio's in London asked me if I could create a vegetarian dish with pasta.  I went immediately to the kitchen, where I found enough zucchinis and spinach to make a dish, matched them with pennoni (large pasta tubes from Puglia), and this is it.  It has been on the Carluccio's menu since then, and each time it is ordered, it collects approximately 75 cents (50p) for charity.  It has been so successful in those eight intervening years it has collected almost a million pounds!"

I wonder if anyone ever told Carluccio that Parmesan's not vegetarian?

Anyhow I was under the weather tonight and was not sure at all about dinner.  But once I had it in front of me it was lovely:  grilled pork chop, tater tots, thirty second green beans.  Applesauce with fresh ground mace, enough to induce a seizure.  Or at least hiccups.  Waiting for the anti-spasmodic pill to take effect.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Don't feel bad, @rarerollingobject

I'm currently reading Antonio Carluccio's Pasta:

"Pennoni Giardiniera"

"I have to include this recipe, because it has become very well known, at least in Carluccio's restaurants.  Some years ago the personnel at the Ealing Carluccio's in London asked me if I could create a vegetarian dish with pasta.  I went immediately to the kitchen, where I found enough zucchinis and spinach to make a dish, matched them with pennoni (large pasta tubes from Puglia), and this is it.  It has been on the Carluccio's menu since then, and each time it is ordered, it collects approximately 75 cents (50p) for charity.  It has been so successful in those eight intervening years it has collected almost a million pounds!"

I wonder if anyone ever told Carluccio that Parmesan's not vegetarian?

Anyhow I was under the weather tonight and was not sure at all about dinner.  But once I had it in front of me it was lovely:  grilled pork chop, tater tots, thirty second green beans.  Applesauce with fresh ground mace, enough to induce a seizure.  Or at least hiccups.  Waiting for the anti-spasmodic pill to take effect.

'My housemate grew up vegetarian in various countries in the Middle East and Europe and he has some great stories about what is and isn't vegetarian based on different chef ideas. In France once his parents said they were allergic to egg (because the idea that someone would just elect not to eat eggs was impossible, apparently) and the response was 'well, that only has a little bit of egg in it. And in some countries (Morocco for example) you have to be precise as something like chicken is not considered the same as meat.

Tbh this is one reason I'm far less adventurous about eating out and trying new foods - especially when traveling - than I'd like to be. I have a shellfish allergy and the outcome would not be pleasant if I got even a little bit of shellfish. (I can't even be in the room where someone is cooking it without having issues.) I keep hoping the medical researchers come up with something so it won't kill me so I can do more food traveling without so much paranoia.

Anyway, for dinner tonight the resident kiddo really wanted Mexican from a local bar place, so since we were in the middle of reorganizing part of the kitchen anyway (I have too many spices to store nicely, it is a serious issue) we did takeout. I had nachos with beef and cheese and guacamole. Not at all particularly traditional Mexican, but a tasty treat. My mom got a fish burrito with their diablo sauce and regretted it, which is interesting because she has a high tolerance for spice. So now I know to avoid the diablo sauce carefully, since I am way more of a chili wimp. :D

• Like 5

In Nashville babysitting, so meals will of necessity be kid-centric and not terribly fascinating this weekend, but for black eyed peas, cabbage, fried potatoes and cornbread (leaving no New Year's stone unturned). Last night, they had Chick-Fil-A, which is their absolute favorite and which makes me gag. I fixed myself a turkey and Swiss sandwich after we got home.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The last supper (of this horrible year). Sort of a clean-out of fridge-freezer.

Fried rice with some cod that was living in the freezer and some "Phoenix-tail" prawns* ditto. With black garlic**, white chilli and red shallots.

fish rice.jpg

* "Phoenix-tail" refers here to prawns/shrimp which have been peeled except for the tails ends, giving you a handle. Not sure why, but the Chinese have a thing about phoenixes. All sort of things are "phoenix" including several towns and villages. 

** I've mentioned on here before that I usually buy this single-headed garlic. A few days ago, I came across a black single-headed garlic version for the first time. Black regular garlic is what I usually come across and despite already having an adequate supply of that, I had to buy the single headed version, too. That's what I used tonight.

black dusuan.jpg

I will be celebrating saying goodbye to 2016 before most of you do (it's almost 11 pm here), so let me wish everyone a better 2017. Happy eating!

Edited by liuzhou
added link (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It can't be Hanukkah without latkes.
I like them lightly simply salted and sprinkled with brown sugar, but I also serve sour cream for those want it.
Apple sauce is not popular in my house, and personally I also fail to understand the combination.

It's hard to take pictures while frying, did my best...

20161230_195256.jpg20161230_195945.jpg20161230_201241.jpg20161230_200205.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I like them lightly simply salted and sprinkled with brown sugar, but I also serve sour cream for those want it.
Apple sauce is not popular in my house, and personally I also fail to understand the combination.

Not sure what's hard to understand, especially when you put brown sugar on yours (to me - half my family being from Israel - that sounds foreign)! 

And applesauce with fried potatoes (often with smoked meat as well - which is what we also serve for Hanukkah) is a very common combination throughout parts of Europe.

So I bought this half leg of beechwood smoked ham thinking I'd glaze and bake it, serve with potato gratin yada yada.

The heat of yesterday killed any idea of turning on the oven, so Mr Ham just got sliced and served with cold stuff. I did make a potato salad.....

IMG_3124.JPG

Happy 2017 to all. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Not sure what's hard to understand, especially when you put brown sugar on yours (to me - half my family being from Israel - that sounds foreign)! 

And applesauce with fried potatoes (often with smoked meat as well - which is what we also serve for Hanukkah) is a very common combination throughout parts of Europe.

There are many common combinations that I don't personally understand... Cream cheese with dill or garlic, halva with chocolate, and yes, potatoes and applesauce. Everyone has those flavors that doesn't work for him. It doesn't make them bad, it's a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn't bother mentioning that I dislike the combo if I hadn't thought it to be a controversial opinion.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

5 hours ago, shain said:

20161230_195256.jpg20161230_195945.jpg20161230_201241.jpg20161230_200205.jpg

Lovely things. I'm crazy about a latke, and make decent ones. Might throw together some for NY morning here. I like apple butter and sour cream with mine.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Nothing bad about sour cream or creme fraiche with fried or roasted potatoes, but if you are serving a brisket with your latkes you most likely wouldn't do dairy with that, you would do applesauce. That's always been my own preference: home made applesauce with a squeeze of lemon and a dusting of cinnamon. If I'm serving potato pancakes with a vegetarian meal, I might serve both apple sauce and a dairy topping on the side. 

For New Years Day tomorrow I'm going French Hanukah by way of the Carolinas: Duck fat roasted potatoes with a side of apples sautéed in butter and a drizzle of Steen's cane syrup. And I will make some simple vegetable potage, just because I have some chard and misc vegetables rolling around the crisper and a quart of turkey stock in the freezer. So that would be French Catfish Pie Soup.

• Like 3