• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

In Germany for Christmas: a hunter friend brought a saddle of venison from a one year old ... Tonight venison filets with gingerbread sauce, potato Knödel and braised red cabbage. Together with a surprisingly fruity red from my in-laws ... Very nice!

WP_20161226_18_59_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20161226_19_54_02_Rich.jpg

• Like 17

image.jpeg

Turkey soup and garlic toast. The only way that turkey is even tolerable and this suffered greatly from a lack of love on my part.  Some days I can do no more than operate on automatic pilot which means I'm not asking myself the right questions as I'm putting together a meal.  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Duvel Red cabbage with game or fowl is so good.  Could you say more about the gingerbread sauce?

Classic sauce from neck and bones of the venison, roasted with tomato paste and root veggies, red wine reduction. Pinch of Garam Masala and Gingerbread spice added before adding the liquids, simmered with dried cherries and a bit of orange peel. After finishing and reduction binding the sauce with toasted dried gingerbread ... Excellent "Christmas touch" to a nice meal ;)

• Like 4

image.jpeg

A serious sandwich. Boston lettuce, liverwurst, tomatoes and thinly-sliced pork belly (already cooked) but crisped up for service. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

We used up the last of the garlic mashed potatoes tonight!

IMG_0129.JPG

Baked Chicken Thigh, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Green Peas

My kind of meal.

Tonight here is bread and fruit and cheese.  Waiting for the baguette to cool while I have my mai tai.  Getting out of work at 9:00 pm to bake bread is never an early dinner.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This might not look like much, but after a stress filled LONG day, it hit the spot.  I had some crab legs in the freezer that have been in there a loooooong time, so I thawed them out and made an alfredo with shrimp over spinach that had been quickly done in butter with a splash of vinegar.

Today is going to be another looooooong day.  Hopefully better than yesterday, though.

photo.JPG

• Like 9

This delicious prime rib roast is from btbyrd and presented over in our Holiday Roasts cook-off.  I've got mine waiting for this weekend's New Years feast.

rholiday_roast_thumb_jpg_67c22fcf559afcac9b386cf3c3618a4d.jpg

• Like 9

Last night was my wife's birthday and normally I would be cooking, but I am just getting over a very bad flu bug and wife and daughter don't want me touching anything in the kitchen so they don't catch it.  So my daughter cooked.  Butter chicken and rice, with gluten-free cherry pie and lactose-free vanilla ice cream.  (I had actually made the ice cream the week before.)

My daughter took the picture:

butter-chicken.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Vegan houseguest welcome dinner prep:

1. Spinach leaves, blanched and dressed in crushed garlic, honey, soy sauce, chilli flakes and black pepper;
2. Iced cucumbers with a smear of homemade miso paste;
3. Carrots, shredded and wilted in sesame oil, mirin, matcha green tea salt and black sesame;
4. Eggplant, shredded and wilted in sesame oil and white soy and dressed in maesil sour green plum syrup and sesame seeds;
5. Shredded daikon, cucumber and seaweed 'white' kimchi;
6. Blanched soybean sprouts, with Sichuan pepper oil and honey;
7. Shiitake mushrooms, toasted till nearly dry and then re-plumped with Shaohsing wine and a dab of rice syrup;
8. Sliced radish, marinated in plum vinegar and topped with dried chilli threads;
9. My precious homemade honey umeboshi plums.

Further, not shown; blanched Korean crown daisy tops, rubbed in sweet white saikyo miso, and raw shredded shiso/perilla leaves.

To be eaten as bibimbap, on top of 9 grain Korean rice, with sheets of crispy seaweed, brushed in sesame oil and toasted at the table.

And for the vegetable-phobic meatarian who's coming to dinner as well: meat. Just meat.

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

• Like 15

I'm not sure what this is. More of a Chinese Irish stew than an Irish Chinese stew.

dinner1.jpg

Lamb/mutton stewed in the slow cooker with garlic, chilli, cumin powder, star anise, carrots, button mushrooms and arrowhead tubers. Scallions added just before serving. Gravy was added after the photo was taken.

Served with simple boiled new potatoes. I would have made them all together as a one pot meal, but the pot was already full, so did the spuds separately.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Stir fried tofu, zucchini, bell peppers, chili, cabbage, scallions + stir fried eggs. Sweet and sour sauce (based on orange juice and zest, soy sauce, ginger and garlic) - only mildly sweet. Served over rice.
20161223_202442.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 9

~ Shai N.

Three different dinners last night.  A salad with poached eggs for my niece

egg salad.jpg

A sandwich with leftover Christmas roast, parmesan, arugula and truffle butter for my husband

roast beef.jpg

And a roast chicken chili num pang sandwich for my sister and me

chimichicken num pang.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 16

I wish I had pictures from dinner last night. I went out with friends for a "girls Christmas dinner" at a relatively new restaurant, Catherine and Mary's, in Memphis. It's the newest of a series of restaurants started by a pair of Memphis guys, Andrew Ticer and Michael Hudman, who've been previous James Beard nominees for best new chef(s) for their flagship "Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen."  They also have Hog & Hominy, a pizza and small plates casual place, and Porcellino's, a craft butcher shop that specializes in in-house cured meats and also serves sandwiches and casual lunches/dinners.

C&M occupies the cuisine rung just below Andrew Michael's, which is more a fine-dining establishment. C&M is a touch more rustic, a touch more casual, and offers traditional Italian fare with an updated twist. We started out with a salumi plate of four different meats from Porcellino's -- all marvelous, but oddly, we had to ask for bread, and it was not very plentiful when it arrived.

The menu was divided into first-course small plates, pastas and entrees. The three of us ordered two of each, and shared them. For firsts, we had a dish of Brussels sprouts which were not only the best Brussels sprouts I have ever eaten in my life, but were possibly my favorite of all the dishes we had that night. The sprouts were deconstructed into their individual leaves, some of them shredded, the others left as whole leaves. Part of the shredded ones were in a creamy, Alfredo-ish sauce; some were stir-fried with some sort of cured meat, and whole leaves were flash-fried to crispy. The interplay of the textures and tastes was little short of phenomenal. We also had a cannelini bean dish with crunchy fried strips of guanciale that was pretty excellent.

The pastas were rigatoni with "Maw Maw's Sunday Gravy" and meatballs, the red sauce lively with red pepper, clinging to the pasta and shrouding the absolutely perfect meatballs that had simmered in it. This was a comfort pasta at its very best, and next time, I may order a plate of it to keep to myself and forego the entree completely.

Again, oddly, there was no bread served, in fact, no bread throughout the entire meal, which seemed to me to be a major defect. We did not ask for bread after the appetizer round, but a slice of good bread would not have gone amiss to soak up the last bits of that Sunday gravy.

For entrees, we shared pork loin served over lentils, and a strip steak served over stir-fried kale. The pork loin was good; it appeared to have been sous vided, and oddly, was only seared on one side, but had a very good flavor. The steak was OK. It might have been better than OK had we not had so much excellent food to precede it. Other entree choices included a braised lamb shank, a seafood medley, and a fish of the day.

We finished up by sharing a slice of mascarpone tart with figs. It was good, but I really wish I'd just gotten gelato. 

It was definitely good enough that I'll be planning a return visit. And I don't think I'll ever eat there without ordering the Brussels sprouts again.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com