• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

I thought everyone would enjoy following our discussion about Holiday Roasts.  This is one of my contributions to the cook-off--Slow-Roasted Duck with Huckleberry-Cranberry Relish................

IMG_1368_JPG_748a915007032272dccc251a4bef27af.jpg

• Like 19

17 hours ago, BeeZee said:

@Anna N debauchery would be spreading those emptied tater shells with butter, then eating. Not that I would know anything about that...

No...the height of debauchery is spreading those emptied shells with butter or bacon fat, sprinkling on some grated cheese and bacon bits, and broiling them, THEN eating them. With more sour cream. And more wine. And I would know a LOT about that. :)

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

37 minutes ago, kayb said:

No...the height of debauchery is spreading those emptied shells with butter or bacon fat, sprinkling on some grated cheese and bacon bits, and broiling them, THEN eating them. With more sour cream. And more wine. And I would know a LOT about that. :)

OMG.  I feel so very virtuous. And oh so regretful that you didn't post this before I demolished them. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Duck larb. I used leftover roast duck chopped finely, warmed with two birds eye chillies and dressed with fish sauce, lime juice and roasted ground rice. Served on iceberg lettuce and topped with mint and spring onions. Easy and tasty.

IMG_3079.JPG

• Like 16

Meatloaf, served with Brussels Sprouts that were first cooked using the Michael Voltaggio microwave+vacuum bag technique (which I have been using a lot lately), then pan sauteed with homemade bacon lardons.

ml2.jpg

bs.jpg

• Like 16

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Fresh Point Judith Squid, I like to clean and prep them myself, not just because it is $2.99 per lb vs $8.99 per, but because I cleaned it myself and know the product much better as a result. To me, these are prime size, being just about a foot long on average.

IMG_0684.JPG

Once you get the moves down, cleaning is a piece of cake.

IMG_0685.JPG

Once cleaned, cutting them up is pretty simple. I cut the "tubes" into 3/4" rings.

IMG_0686.JPG

I shake them up in a plastic bag with about a half cup of flour, seasoned with salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. I used to use clip on thermometers, but they were awkward and always got in the way. When, you have a big pot of flammable oil over a gas flame, ( I use a wok) simple is best. I love the infra-red hand held thermometer, simple, quick and now, inexpensive. Get the peanut oil up to 375 F.

Temp.jpg

I Fry them up in small batches, so the temp only drops to about 350 F, then drain on paper towels, season with a sprinkle of salt and keep them in a warm oven as the later batches are completed.

IMG_0689.JPG

Tonight, I served the calamari with salads and spicy garlic and lemon aioli. 

IMG_0691.JPG

HC

IMG_0692.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 24

A friend told me about this Shrimp dish she has at a restaurant in Florida and so I looked it up, found a recipe that looked good and gave it a try.  We had it with a sauce that is very much like Yum Yum sauce, carrots and orzo. 

DSCN3905.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 19

Another ground chuck burger.  Cooked medium/med rare in a blazing hot CI skillet.  Served with sautéed sliced mushrooms and English cheddar and a side of an ear of corn straight from the microwave.  

That pan was really hot.  Have the blister on my middle finder from  wiping out a film of oil from the pan befor adding the burgers

• Like 9

In honor of @Anna N:

skins 1219.jpg

I scooped the insides into a dish with a pat of butter and ate those while the skins were browning. Had no bacon bits and couldn't be troubled to fry any bacon. That's a salad plate, lest you think I've gone completely into carb overload. No sour cream in the house, but fortunately, there was plenty of homemade yogurt, which worked just fine.

• Like 17

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So I braved the duck fat issue today!
Thawed a duck out last night, and other than rendering the fat, I didn't know what I was going to do with the duck! I've always made Cantonese BBQ duck, so I googled for recipes. Found Jamie Oliver's Spicy and Salt Duck. It looked do-able in the amount of time I had before supper. We'd been outside trying to finish putting up Xmas lights. (The week-long -32C temp went to -9 C by morning!)
Rendering the fat gave me 1 1/2 cups of fat! How is that possible from one little duck?! The kitchen smelled wonderful, and the "quacklings" were incredible with a sprinkling of Szechuan peppercorn / sea salt mixture that also went into the flour for the breasts.
                    1Rendering Duck Fat0001.jpg

2Duck Crackling0002.jpg

3Duck Crackling & Salt0003.jpg
The breasts were steamed for 12 minutes, rested for 20, then coated with a mixture of flour, ground cumin, ginger, fennel seeds, chili powder.
I only had baby taters, so cut them into thick pieces and double deep-fried them in the duck fat. Then I deep-fried the duck pieces. OMG!
Then tonight, I saw where @liuzhou mentioned duck-fat ROASTED potatoes...Damn! But these were delicious.:$
The skin on the duck was crispy, and the flavour was delectable...with a delayed numbing of the lips from the Szechuan peppercorns.
Thanks for the push to the "duck side"!
        Duck 1 la Jamie Oliver0005.jpg  

5Duck Breast0008.jpg

• Like 22

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Duvel

Had to look up your pasta. Sounds interesting.   Completely new to me.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kitchen session today included smooch for John and some baking.  I pulled some of the ground bison, sautéed onion and red peppers out before I added the rest to the pasta and tomatoes for a sloppy joe later for my dinner.

Oops.... just informed that he wants the leftover beef stew at 4 and will have the smooch for second dinner after his shows finish at 7.  He doesn't know it but there is a green salad in his future.....

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ditto!  And I'm glad I looked it up as I thought mentaiko must be that leaf garnishing the dish!

It's close to Pasta with Bottarga: Briny, fishy, bit spicy. A very nice person brought me fresh Mentaiko from her trip Tokyo, and then just butter, shoyu, dash of squeezed lemon ...

• Like 2

A favourite meal which I've shared before. There's always some variance with a chicken schnitzel dinner.  

Here I use the new Tabasco chipotle sauce to spice the tomatoes. The mash is pumpkin, potato and horseradish, the salad is baby cos with a New Zealand lemon dressing, plus there's the usual caramelised onion and fried sage leaves. 

IMG_3082.JPG

• Like 11

I bought hummus today, from our favorite place. Thick and warm, with plenty of cumin. Hot, slow cooked fava beans and tender chickpeas in olive oil. Lemony tahini sauce. Pickled olives and green schug. Warm pita breads.

20161221_112502.jpg20161221_112842.jpg

Second image is my plate. A second serving was, as always, called for.

Although it counts as dinner, hummus obviously should be eaten before noon, and definitely not in the evening :) 

Edited by shain
typo (log)
  • Like 9

~ Shai N.