• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

Stir fried duck with mushrooms.

Duck breast de-fatted and cut into slivers. (The fat was rendered and added to the fat bank in the fridge.) Flesh marinated with garlic (lots), chilli, fresh tangerine zest, osmanthus flavoured rice wine and soy sauce.

Served with rice and simple wilted spinach.

Hazy photograph because the dish was still steaming in an otherwise cold kitchen.

Duck and Mushroom Stir Fry.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 12/15/2016 at 9:30 AM, ElsieD said:

How do you cook your bok choy?  I really like the taste of it but the leaf part always comes our slimy so I have given up on cooking it.

I separate the leafy part from the stem part and saute the stems for longer than the leaves.  Otherwise, I agree, the leaves get mushy and not as appetizing.

I'll be posting my meals over on the Florida board for the next week.  My husband and I are taking my niece and nephew to Disney at their request.  Should be.....crowded.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Duck breast de-fatted and cut into slivers. (The fat was rendered and added to the fat bank in the fridge.) Flesh marinated with garlic (lots), chilli, fresh tangerine zest, osmanthus flavoured rice

I have fat bank in the fridge too!  All fatty trimmings are rendered and fat accumulated on top of stocks is added as well.   I can not remember the last time that I cooked with anything other than that fat.  Perhaps when non pork eaters are visiting...

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

I have fat bank in the fridge too!  All fatty trimmings are rendered and fat accumulated on top of stocks is added as well.   I can not remember the last time that I cooked with anything other than that fat.  Perhaps when non pork eaters are visiting...

My fat bank is duck. Pork fat I tend to render and used immediately. But should I feel the need, the local supermarket does have 500g pots of pigular fat, but I've never bought one.\

Which fat I use depends on what I am cooking.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

My fat bank is duck. Pork fat I tend to render and used immediately. But should I feel the need, the local supermarket does have 500g pots of pigular fat, but I've never bought one.\

Which fat I use depends on what I am cooking.

I tend to keep my animal fats separate.  Duck, goose, bacon and rarely, when I get them, beef and chicken. Lard I buy when needed for a project. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Once you serve up something like this it begins to resemble a dog's dinner so I'm giving you the before picture. This is inaccurately called "Cauliflower Clafoutis with Ham and Parsley".  There is no cauliflower in my version because I only had broccoli and carrots. But that's not why it's inaccurately named. Perhaps inaccurate is too strong a word but I do think it is stretching the meaning of clafoutis to the breaking point.  However it is vegetables in a custard with some cheese and some ham and was extremely tasty.   I enjoyed it with a few slices of cold, sv'd chuck eye. 

• Like 20

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, chefmd said:

I love this fat bank talk.  I had to show it to my wife because she gives me grief over these little jars of white stuff in the fridge.  Well not to much grief but...

• Like 3

A somewhat pale but tasty dinner.

Potatoes and beans cooked in PC until soft, with bay leaves and the potato peels for flavor (the peels were later roasted as a crispy snack).

Potatoes mashed with butter and malt syrup. Beans mixed with pan fried mushrooms, a touch of thyme and smoked paprika. 

Roasted leeks, with only salt and butter. Creamy and salty sirene cheese, mostly eaten with the leeks and beans, it doesn't mix well with the potatoes.

20161216_145410.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7

~ Shai N.

Finishing up packing the gift baskets for the animals(I don't give gifts to the neighbors but to their cats and dogs) and there is a beef stew on the stove for tonight's dinner - full of parsnips, carrots, potatoes and turnips.

John wanted mashed potatoes last night so that's what he got - along with bison meatloaf, olive oil green beans and gravy.

There is also a pork loin that was braised with garlic and tarragon.  So far we have had it as a ragu with pasta and shredded with barbecue sauce on whole wheat buns.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

14 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I love this fat bank talk.  I had to show it to my wife because she gives me grief over these little jars of white stuff in the fridge.  Well not to much grief but...

I have saved bacon fat for as long as I've been able to stand up at a stove and cook. Can't bear to be without it. Got nearly a quart in the fridge, and a pint in the freezer as a just-in-case.

Oddly, I have never saved beef or chicken fat.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Don't save beef fat but currently have bacon and duck fat in the fridge

You really haven't lived until you've had hot toast spread with beef dripping and seasoned generously with salt and pepper (IMO).:)

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

What's the best beef fat to render?  I would assume it's from hard white fat

I don't render it as such. I just hope for some left over from the beef roast. That is what I grew up on. Bonus if there's lots of tasty "gelatin" under the fat. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog