• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

56 minutes ago, kayb said:

I thought of you today at the Asian market, where I'd gone to get quail eggs. They had oysters 2 for a dollar. I thought about getting some, but I've never been able to bring myself to buy any kind of seafood there because it smells so awful.

@kayb I think that is a pretty good policy and one you should stick with.

HC

• Like 5

The photo of last nights dinner was so awful I refuse to post it. The dinner was okay, marinated chicken wings with steamed rice and Kylie Kwongs lettuce and spinach salad.

He who must be fed came home with these, (love them corporate gifts) they're ready to eat now.

There will be mango salad, mango chutney and mango with ice cream.

Any other ideas ?

IMG_3050.JPG

• Like 4

Mango lassi.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my favourites when mango is in season (sadly not now) is a sort of SE Asian dish which is basically cubed beef braised in soy sauce and Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce with garlic,ginger and chilli. When I'm being fancy, I serve it in the mango skin.

I first had this in a SE Asian restaurant in China and have been trying to replicate it ever since. I'm closer than before, but still not all the way there.

Just when I get close, mango season is over and I have to take two steps back then restart when they return.

beef with mango.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, sartoric said:

The photo of last nights dinner was so awful I refuse to post it. The dinner was okay, marinated chicken wings with steamed rice and Kylie Kwongs lettuce and spinach salad.

He who must be fed came home with these, (love them corporate gifts) they're ready to eat now.

Any other ideas ?

IMG_3050.JPG

While I was thinking about what to do with them all, I would be digging into them one at a time. I love them!

HC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sartoric said:

Any other ideas ?

May I also add my favourite mango relish. Well, it's not mine. I'm sure I found it online, but I forget where and although I've searched It seems to have disappeared. If anyone knows, I'd be delighted to know and give proper credit where it is very much due.

150g soft brown sugar

150ml white wine vinegar

1 star anise
2tsp black mustard seeds (optional)

½ red onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 thumb ginger, chopped

1 red chilli, chopped*

3-4 mangoes
salt

pepper

The sugar is dissolved in the vinegar, then everything else is added. The whole lot is then simmered until it reaches jam or chutney like consistency. Lasts for months in the fridge.

I eat it with cheese, chicken, fish ... There isn't much it doesn't go with.

* Sometimes, I up the chilli level and I have even made a version without chilli as a gift for a chilli-averse friend. Chilli-averse? I suppose everyone has their faults! (She's lovely! Apart from that!)

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Faroe Island salmon (from fish share), bok choy and snap peas, and kimchi fried rice

salmon.jpg

How do you cook your bok choy?  I really like the taste of it but the leaf part always comes our slimy so I have given up on cooking it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sartoric said:

Any other ideas ?

IMG_3050.JPG

Mango ice cream. The rest for dehydrated mango chips

dcarch

• Like 2

Homemade sagnarelli pasta with a vegetarian Bolognese style sauce, with mushrooms, sofrito, eggplant, tomatoes (probably the last non-cherry I'll have until next season) and a few chickpeas. Browned, deglazed, then pressure cooked with spices and herbs.

It doesn't taste like, neither should it taste like, ragu Bolognese, but it is very tasty. The various veggies give it a pleasant texture and it does hit many of the same hearty notes. 

Based, but highly modified, on this recipe by Kenji of SE.

20161213_204847.jpg

I almost forgot the grating of parmesan!

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10

~ Shai N.

On 12/14/2016 at 7:11 AM, quiet1 said:

I'd be curious for the recipe, did I miss it already?

Here is the basic recipe as I made it this time (more options at my blog):

1 Small to Med head of green cabbage – cored and sliced into 8ths, then each 1/8 cut in half
1 14.5 oz Can Diced or Stewed Tomatoes
1 14.5 oz Can Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Water
1 Medium Yellow Onion – halved and sliced into 8ths or so and split apart
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
1.5 lbs lean stew meat

Put everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

For the last 30 years, we always got our kimchi from Chicago but at the Asian store I saw some from Korea and I got it.  One of Charlie's favorite recipe's is for Korean chicken wings.  I wanted to try Japanese popcorn chicken made with chicken thighs, so I made both. Our sides were rice, snow peas and pickled daikon. When Charlie got home, he added Yum Yum sauce and Tamari for dipping sauces.

DSCN3896.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

Pictures of a few recent dinners:

Chicken12052016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/Chicken12052016.png

Comfort food.  Blessings again to Cuisinart and Herve This.

Stew12102016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/Stew12102016.png

Beef chuck stew.  Carrots, fingerlings, thyme, and parsley root.

TandooriMurgh12122016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/TandooriMurgh12122016.png

Tandoori Murgh.

Noodles12152016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/Noodles12152016.png

Inspired by the recent post @Chris Hennes shared of Springtime Noodles.  I had remembered my bottle of sesame oil had a shaker top.  It doesn't.

GreenSauce11272016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/GreenSauce11272016.png

Tonight is a batch of Kenji's Peruvian green sauce, this time with serrano and Aji Amarillo.  I may regret this.  Tater Tots, which at the moment are browning in the CSO.  Cold leftover chicken.  Hence the resused photograph.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou