• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

38 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@liuzhou  

what are white chili  ?

Chilis that are white! See here.

Actually, many of them are very light green, but the Chinese name (白辣椒 - bái là jiāo ) still translates as "white chilli".

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:23 PM, Captain said:

Succulent crispy skin roast Duck.

IMG_20161128_174628.jpg

Chopped it up and it was gone...

The only thing they left me was that lovely duck fat.

That is a wonderful roast duck and a good entrant in our Holiday Roast Cook-Off,

• Like 3

When I'm sick, I want comfort food. For me, comfort food is potato salad; specifically MY potato salad. So last night I had potato salad. Two bowls of it. Still warm from the potatoes being cooked. Actually, the first bowl was quite HOT from the potatoes being cooked. 

I have a photo but it's horrible, so I won't post it. 

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Been enjoying everyone's food vicariously. The teaching term is done, so I can get back to some real food!

Finally had our first major snowfall which closed some of the major roads across the province. Glad I didn't have to go out and happy to have time for comfort food.
Slow-roasted some side ribs then brushed them with mix of Hoisin sauce, 5-spice powder before finishing them in 400F oven.

Char siu ribs Bok choy Rice0007.jpg

Savory Tang Yuen (dumplings) with braised beef tendon, daikon julienne, rehydrated dried shrimp, cilantro stems.

Savory Tang Yuen0005.jpg

Hubby has a hard time chewing the dumplings, so I made him wonton soup, shrimp roe noodles, and some shredded meat from  leftover BBQ pork ribs

Wonton Soup0002.jpg

Bone-in Curry Chicken with curry leaves, eaten with basmati rice cooked in ghee, cumin seeds and cardamom.

Curry Chicken0008.jpg

• Like 17

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Couple of meals.

Pizza night on Sunday.  Really hit the spot and it was fast and easy.

PC041370.JPG

The cold weather has hit (YAY!!!).  We decided the brussels sprout plant wouldn't survive and so we picked it.  Don't get me started on our trials and tribulations trying to grow these suckers lol.  One year I had them coming out of my ears and now I can't grow them to save my life.  PC061371.JPG

They aren't fully mature yet, but certainly edible.  They were very sweet and tender.  Aren't they cute???

PC061373.JPG

KC strip and leftover baked 'taters with broccoli cheese sauce to go with

PC061374.JPG

• Like 17

Brussels sprouts on the stalk remind me of a caterpillar. They're something I never ate until I was an adult, because we didn't grow them. Are they a cooler-weather vegetable? I enjoy them roasted, or raw and shredded in a slaw/salad.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 minutes ago, kayb said:

Brussels sprouts on the stalk remind me of a caterpillar. They're something I never ate until I was an adult, because we didn't grow them. Are they a cooler-weather vegetable? I enjoy them roasted, or raw and shredded in a slaw/salad.

Exactly right.  They are a cool weather veg.  We tried to grow them this spring, but it got hot too soon......this plant weathered the heat.  I was shocked when I saw that he had started growing sprouts a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

My latest riff on Chicken & Dumplings:

- Dumplings made with a warm milk/butter/garlic/onion powder/bay leaf/flour & subsequent eggs blended in - boiled then seared.

- Veggies

- Shredded chicken

- 3 x Chicken Stock (rather than a mass reduction, using the same liquid 3x to make stock - in this case wings) reduction

- Romano Cream w/ Clove & garlic

- Dash of bourbon to deglaze

It all came together quite nice, but a lot of work in 2 hours*!

*full disclosure; the 3x stock was not done in the 2 hours time frame

• Like 6

Like @Dejah I have been vicariously enjoying all the beautiful and delicious meals here. I am currently consumed by trying to finish several presents for family before Christmas so it's simple meals and little time on line. But I did take a few pictures.

I love this dish - rice with squash (it calls for butternut but i used gold nugget because I still have some from the garden), onions, black beans and spinach, seasoned with lots of ginger, all spice and curry powder. With fried plantain and a (not shown) salad. It is from Vegetarian Planet - a book with good recipes but some awful names, of which I think this has the worst -"Jamaican Rice Mix Up"O.o. I refer to it as Rice with squash, black beans and spinach. My grand parents were from Jamaica and lived very near us. When I was a child in upstate NY you could not buy plantain. We ate a lot of fried or baked bananas.

DSC01891.jpg

A very plain pork chop with roasted broccoli and a variation on colcannon. (I thought I had posted this but if so I can't find it - so my apology if this is a repeat.)

DSC01888.jpg

And a very bad picture of a very good dinner. My husband's birthday was last week -this is one of his favorites. Pasta with chicken, asparagus, roasted red peppers and eggplant in olive oil with lots of garlic.

DSC01899.jpg

We are off again tomorrow for a brief visit to Hyde Park - which will include 2 nights at the CIA - Thursday, dinner at Caterina di Medici and Friday dinner at America's Bounty. :biggrin: I plan on taking notes. It has been at least 20 years since I have eaten there so I expect it will be very different. I hope the quality is the same - the meal was a long time ago but it is still memorable.

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg

Pan roasted veal loin chop and blistered cocktail tomatoes. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

First meal from the new oven, a slight learning curve. Baked haddock, asparagus and a baked potato all cooked in the same oven. Not bad, but the timing will improve.

HC

IMG_0547.JPGIMG_0548.JPG

That's a sweet-looking piece of kit. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Doing some catching up! I spent the week of Thanksgiving in New Mexico; first visiting with family in Las Cruces, then birding with friends in Socorro at the Bosque del Apache NWR for four days, and then back to Las Cruces for a day after Thanksgiving dinner with my mom and her husband. 

Thanksgiving day turkey dinner was at the restaurant next to our motel in Socorro, the same place where we had breakfast most days. The photos of the meal came out blurry but the food was really tasty and plentiful. We had the senior's plate for $7.99 which included turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn on the cob, a salad, a dinner roll and pumpkin pie. We all got the pumpkin pie to go!

IMG_0087.JPG

Back in Las Cruces, our day after T-day dinner was a small fresh turkey that had been split to cook on the grill. Due to issues with the grill, the bird was baked in the oven and having it split made it so easy.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 17

3 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Thanks, man. Of course, I wanted to redo the kitchen as part of the deal, but when your ovens die, things have a way of changing your plans.

HC 

Is that the model with the Flex Duo oven? I wrote a few articles about those for Samsung.com.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning