• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

Pizza take 2, the dough keeps well.

The first pizza is hot salami, anchovies, olives, bocconcini and mozzarella.

The second pizza is roast chicken, roast garlic, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella.

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

Edited by sartoric
Fix glitches (log)
  • Like 20

On 11/28/2016 at 4:58 PM, Okanagancook said:

Ok, cooked beets....shall have to try this, thanks.

chefmed:  I just made this without the garlic and with a little finely chopped red onion.  Delicious!  I am usually not a beet fan but I would eat a mound of this stuff.  Thank you.

Everyone's dinners look delicious!  I have been cooking but running around and missed taking pictures most nights.  My house was in chaos decorating for the holidays.  It's (mostly) done now, so I will be better about taking pictures.  

Here's a sandwich I made last night from portobello mushrooms, peppers, onions, arugula, cheese, and leftover roasted leg of lamb (that I did not get a picture of when I made it originally).  I don't eat lamb so mine only had the vegetables in it.

lamb sandwich.jpg

• Like 16

IMG_0077.JPG

Grilled New Zealand Lamb Chops and Asparagus. The lamb chops were rubbed with a mix of crushed garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, cayenne, coarse sea salt and olive oil. The asparagus was marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette. We also had a Caesar side salad.

• Like 19

On 11/14/2016 at 8:59 AM, Shelby said:

Pheasant and quail season opened Saturday.  So, last night we had fried pheasant strips, gizzards, livers and hearts.  Fries and brussels sprouts to go with.  I'm so excited to have some quail!  You can see two of them on the bottom left side of the picture.  We will have those this week sometime.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

I'm just seeing this, Shelby...jeez, does that look great!!

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The weather is starting to get a little chilly, so...

30995738210_16569980f2_z.jpg

An update of my grandmother's mushroom barley soup, with a bissel of dried porcini and some freshly chopped scallions at the end.

Served with some nice bread and a smooshed avocado dressed salad.

• Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lamb cutlets, dusted with sumac and pan fried. A very mixed salad, baby cos, multi coloured cherry tomatoes, radishes, cucumber and freshly harvested sprouts with a lemon dressing, pita bread and a few beetroot smashed with yoghurt.

IMG_2995.JPG

• Like 16

image.jpeg

Roasted delicata squash (with its seeds) from The Small Stack Cookbook. The squash is tossed with olive oil, salt,  pepper, crushed garlic and some za'atar. It is served with yogurt, a little of the leftover oil, lemon juice and flaky salt. Unfortunately I did not have any of the fresh herbs called for.  It was largely very successful but if I were to make it again I would definitely roast the seeds separately as not all of them reached the level of pleasant crispness that one may wish for.  A stretch for me. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

An Aldi dinner.  While picking up a couple of VitaMix knock off blenders the other day, I loaded my cart with all kinda goodies.  Aldi had improved a bit from my last visit a few years ago.   Lots of cheeses, meats and veggies went home along with the blenders. 

Tonight,  portabello raviolli with lightly browned butter, pine nuts and parmesan cheese, asparagus and salad. With a nice Pinot it was very satisfying.  I go kinda heavy on the pine nuts.  I love'em 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 15

14 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

An Aldi dinner.  While picking up a couple of VitaMix knock off blenders the other day, I loaded my card with all kinda goodies.  Aldi had improved a bit from my last visit a few years ago.   Lots of cheeses, meats and veggies went home along with the blenders. 

Tonight,  portabello raviolli with lightly browned butter, pine nuts and parmesan cheese, asparagus and salad. With a nice Pinot it was very satisfying.  I go kinda heavy on the pine nuts.  I love'em 

image.jpeg

Did you mean loaded your cart, your card, or both?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

33 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

An Aldi dinner.  While picking up a couple of VitaMix knock off blenders the other day, I loaded my card with all kinda goodies.  Aldi had improved a bit from my last visit a few years ago.   Lots of cheeses, meats and veggies went home along with the blenders. 

Did you toast them? I always give them a quick toast to bring out the flavor more. I consider them a staple, though - I keep a jar in the fridge to toss on salad or pasta. I keep pesto in the freezer, too, and we always have some kind of hard Italian cheese and some kind of dried pasta. Cook the pasta and toss it all together and you have a lunch or a snack, add some protein and that's a meal for me. (If I just have pasta I end up getting starving hungry again after a couple hours even if in terms of calories I should have had enough. But it perks up leftover meat nicely to have freshly made pesto pasta to go with. Add tomatoes - fresh or sun-dried - if there are any of those kicking around, too.)

No photo because it got eaten too quickly, but my housemate picked up Mexican on the way home from work. I'd forgotten how tasty the local place is, it isn't super heavy American-Mexican style stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sartoric said:

Lamb cutlets, dusted with sumac and pan fried. A very mixed salad, baby cos, multi coloured cherry tomatoes, radishes, cucumber and freshly harvested sprouts with a lemon dressing, pita bread and a few beetroot smashed with yoghurt.

IMG_2995.JPG

No pictures but some nights everything comes together right:  Australian rib lamb chops, which may or may not be similar to lamb cutlets.  I thought seriously about sumac but went with rosemary as usual.  CSO roast potatoes, thirty second green beans.  A nice French Malbec...

For dessert a goodly glass of Whistlepig.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No pictures but some nights everything comes together right:  Australian rib lamb chops, which may or may not be similar to lamb cutlets.  I thought seriously about sumac but went with rosemary as usual.  CSO roast potatoes, thirty second green beans.  A nice French Malbec...

For dessert a goodly glass of Whistlepig.

They are from the rib. You can get them French trimmed so the bone becomes a handle. Me, I like all the fat and skerricks of meat along the bone. My next oven will be a CSO.

9 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Yeah, I toasted the pine nuts in the micro and your right, it really brings out the flavor

I really hate raw (untoasted) nuts of all kinds - not because they taste bad, as most nuts are also quite tasty raw, but because they can taste so much better with a short toasting.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.