• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 11)

liuzhou

Burgers again, and once again cooked SV to 133F and torch seared.  Served with dill rye, fires from the air fryer and green beans with butter.  I know, I know.  Where's the turkey?  Making it today.

burger2.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Cauliflower and chickpeas curry - with caramelized onions, chili, cilantro, plenty of fenugreek and cumin among other spices.

Palak paneer.

Tahdig rice. Also yogurt.

20161125_150116.jpg

Edited by shain
Palak, not saag (log)
  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

On 11/16/2016 at 7:33 AM, TicTac said:

No disrespect - but could someone explain the following...

I never did quite get the whole 'bread with dinner' concept.  I understand (and love) the traditional bread course, but please explain:

- Bread with pasta

- Bread with risotto

Sorry, maybe it's just me!

You are not crazy. Have you watched the movie Big Night and seen the scene where the woman asks for a side of spaghetti  with her risotto ?

Here is the youtube video link, it is pretty funny! Who wants starch with starch?

That being said, I enjoy my starch...

Edited by nonkeyman (log)
  • Like 2

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

Today was the day to corral all of my spices from their various spots all over the house, toss out those that were almost as old as Methuselah  and inventory the remainder. I managed to trash almost every surface in the house and so lunch became a dream. Thank heaven dinner was so easy. More duck vindaloo this time with the meat taken from the bone, a kachumber salad and too much of the bread I made this morning (nan-e barberi).

image.jpeg

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It has been a long time since I have eaten this much...but a friend came into town and we went a little all out...although we are both chefs, we went out for this meal

.20161125_194009.jpg

Pork Belly Rillions with Mustard sauce, cabbage and pickled shallots

20161125_194611.jpg

Deep Fried Matsutakes, Pickled Egg, And Tarragon w/ Tarragon Aioli

20161125_195000.jpg

House Made Currywurst

20161125_201220.jpg

Brussels Sprouts

20161125_201209.jpg

Whole Roasted Crab ....and Fixins...So much regret...There were also oysters...

Edited by nonkeyman (log)
  • Like 13

86ed Chef's Advice

29 minutes ago, nonkeyman said:

20161125_194611.jpg

Deep Fried Matsutakes, Pickled Egg, And Tarragon w/ Tarragon Aioli

It's a great-looking meal, nonkeyman. 

That pickled egg looks like the ones I believe @Shelby does. She uses beets, I think, to bring out that lovely deep pink color.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Chickpeas and borlotti beans, cooked until very tender, flavored with cumin, anise seeds, lemon and a little bay leaves, parsley, sesame, chili and garlic. A good drizzle of oil from our own tree (this was a very good year for olives and the oil is very fruity, sharp and sweet). And a little harissa on the side.

A salad of cherry tomates, scallions and  chilies.

Toasted baguette (bought) - crisp but soft inside to soak the juices.

I also had some labneh with zaatar.

20161126_160044.jpg20161126_154953.jpg20161126_160106.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

Turkey day:  Smoked turkey at 325F on my pellet grill.  Served with mashed cauliflower, two types of stuffing (regular and gluten-free), green beans with butter and almonds and gluten-free mushroom gravy.

turkey16.jpg

turkey16p.jpg

• Like 18

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Over here Kerry Beal is preparing Kimchi Jigae at work.   We discussed her plans briefly by email and I determined that I would attempt the same thing for my dinner this evening.   Mine would certainly not pass too close a scrutiny from a Korean since the only pork I had on hand was some Italian pancetta and some supermarket bacon. If you have all the ingredients on hand, this is one of the easiest stews you can make.  And it will certainly warm the cockles of your heart not to mention strip your oesophagus.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Been slacking - down with sinus issues, so Hot 'n' Sour soup was needed. Delivered several containers to friends with the same virus.
Energized for the weekend, so cooked...
Cantonese Shrimp Egg Foo Young as we used to make in the restaurant #23a

Cantonbese Egg Foo Young0005.jpg
Fresh clams came into our Superstore - in black bean garlic sauce

Blackbean Clams0006.jpg

Hot 'n' Sour Soup

Hot 'n' Sour Soup0001.jpg

• Like 18

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

They had a local special on strip steaks and I found 2 that I liked, so steak night was on. My stove is OOC (lost the touch panel). A new one is scheduled  for delivery on Dec 7th. These baked potatoes were cooked outside on the grill . That is why they are so dark, but they were good, nice and crispy skin. I made a small batch of cole slaw for the occasion.

HC

IMG_0507.JPGIMG_0508.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

Pizza ! My first attempt from scratch. Thanks to @shain for her detailed recipe, and beginners luck, they were yummy.

First pizza, base spread with leftover mussel infused red sauce, half topped with pepperoni, cherry tomatoes and olives, the other half is roast chicken, red onion, goats cheese and basil.

IMG_2965.JPGIMG_2966.JPG

Second pizza was spread with plain tomato sauce and chopped oregano, half was topped with ham, pineapple and mozzarella (in Australia you would call me a deadset bogan, and I'm okay with that) and half with cherry tomatoes, olives, bocconcini and baby spinach.

IMG_2969.JPG

Okay, I need some practise with shaping, and crusts got a bit burnt, but there's two more balls of dough in the fridge !

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Home made pizza is so good and it isn't that difficult...just don't over do the toppings.  Yours look excellent.  Congrats!

Kind of agree with limiting your toppings! But it is also nice to make your own pizza, because it is your blank canvas!

• Like 5

86ed Chef's Advice

38 minutes ago, shain said:

@sartoric Your pizzas look delicious! I'm very happy to see that you enjoyed the recipe. I enjoy a boldly baked crust. You might want to rotate the pizzas halfway through.

Oh, and BTW, I'm a guy xD

Oops, sorry bout that :)

• Like 4

image.jpeg

I must have just entered my monochromatic phase.  Korean stew from yesterday evening toned down with some white rice made in the Instant Pot (bowl-in-bowl method).  And now I'm craving some comfort food so I think I will cheat and make a quick rice pudding with some cream and some maple syrup and some leftover rice.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog