• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

Fresh Point Judith Squid, I like to clean and prep them myself, not just because it is $2.99 per lb vs $8.99 per, but because I cleaned it myself and know the product much better as a result. To me, these are prime size, being just about a foot long on average.

IMG_0684.JPG

Once you get the moves down, cleaning is a piece of cake.

IMG_0685.JPG

Once cleaned, cutting them up is pretty simple. I cut the "tubes" into 3/4" rings.

IMG_0686.JPG

I shake them up in a plastic bag with about a half cup of flour, seasoned with salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. I used to use clip on thermometers, but they were awkward and always got in the way. When, you have a big pot of flammable oil over a gas flame, ( I use a wok) simple is best. I love the infra-red hand held thermometer, simple, quick and now, inexpensive. Get the peanut oil up to 375 F.

Temp.jpg

I Fry them up in small batches, so the temp only drops to about 350 F, then drain on paper towels, season with a sprinkle of salt and keep them in a warm oven as the later batches are completed.

IMG_0689.JPG

Tonight, I served the calamari with salads and spicy garlic and lemon aioli. 

IMG_0691.JPG

HC

IMG_0692.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

Fresh Point Judith Squid, I like to clean and prep them myself, not just because it is $2.99 per lb vs $8.99 per, but because I cleaned it myself and know the product much better as a result. To me, these are prime size, being just about a foot long on average.

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

Once cleaned, cutting them up is pretty simple.

IMG_0686.JPG

I shake them up in about a half cup of flour, seasoned with salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. I used to use clip on thermometers, but they were awkward and always got in the way. When, you have a big pot of flammable oil over a gas flame, ( I use a wok) simple is best. I love the infra-red hand held thermometer, simple, quick and now, inexpensive. Get the peanut oil up to 375 F.

Temp.jpg

I Fry them up in small batches, so the temp only drops to about 350 F, then drain on paper towels, season with a sprinkle of salt

and keep them in a warm oven as the later batches are completed.

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

HC

IMG_0692.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

Fresh Point Judith Squid, I like to clean and prep them myself, not just because it is $2.99 per lb vs $8.99 per, but because I cleaned it myself and know the product much better as a result. To me, these are just about prime size, being just about a foot long on average.

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

I shake them up in about a half cup of flour, seasoned with salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. I used to use clip on thermometers, but they were awkward and always got in the way. When, you have a big pot of flammable oil over a gas flame, ( I use a wok) simple is best. I love the infra-red hand held thermometer, simple, quick and now, inexpensive. Get the peanut oil up to 375 F.

Temp.jpg

I Fry them up in small batches, so the temp only drops to about 350 F, then drain on paper towels, season with a sprinkle of salt

and keep them in a warm oven as the later batches are completed.

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

HC

IMG_0692.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

Fresh Point Judith Squid, I like to clean and prep them myself, not just because it is $2.99 per lb vs $8.99 per, but because I cleaned it myself and know the product much better as a result. To me, these are just about prime size, being just about a foot long on average.

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

Temp.jpg

and keep them in a warm ovenin a warm oven as the later batches are completed.

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

HC

IMG_0692.JPG