• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from New Brunswick...sort of

Reed & Thistle

Hello.  The Reed & Thistle is the name of  our pub (more classic cocktail bar in an old world setting than pub proper at the moment however). Located in the Village of GagetownNew Brunswick, Canada.  I say NB...sort of because I am not at home for the next few months, but that is where the business and family are.   We have just purchased a former Inn/ B&B which had a restaurant and bar.  The property was closed for the past decade so we are still fixing things up and the kitchen isn't up to current code yet, but we are operating as a B&B and have our liquor license to run the bar and coffee shop too, so off and running.  As classic cocktails and local craft beers are the focus of the bar, I naturally will be mostly posting and reading in that section, but as we progress in the venture I may stick my head out from time to time.

Cheers, Gary

• Like 5

Welcome, Gary. It's a great place to hang around, socialize, and learn. 

I'm in Saint John, so I suspect I'll probably take a drive up the old highway to see you at some point in the not-too-distant future. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

You can never have too many Canucks in a room!  Welcome!

My folks just got back from a trip to NB and raved.  I have been to NS and PEI but not yet NB.  On the list, heard the red sand beaches are amazing.

Would love to see some shots of your place and property, R&T.

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 3

A part of the world I've always wanted to see, particularly after hearing descriptions by several in this forum. Welcome, glad to have you, and hope to come visit someday!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Chromedome,  Things are rather quiet in the village during winter and our hours are limited as such, we are actually sorting our winter hours now.  But if you are thinking of coming up I highly recommend Nov 28-29 which is the Village's "Christmas in the Village."  It is a community wide craft fare which is well worth the trip and gets lots of visitors as an annual event which draws from all three cities.  Sadly I will be missing it this year, but My wife and son should have things under control.

TicTac, you can see some pictures on the website Steamers' bed and breakfast and on facebook too.

kayb, you really should.  Our property is on the bank of the Saint John River, which is amazing and has been described as the Rhine of North America.  From our  place a 45minute scenic drive along the river gets you to the Bay of Fundy.

Edited by Reed & Thistle (log)
  • Like 1