• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

barista

barista

On 11/15/2016 at 10:27 AM, KennethT said:

-an ingredient called Streaky Pork (not defined anywhere)

That's pork belly 

-giving directions for deep frying a certain dish, she says "In a heated wok, add cooking oil and heat until very hot"

Dip a wooden chopstick into oil, if you see bubbles rising along the chopstick, that's the temperature. 

-after marinating chicken, "Place chicken in the sun to dry thoroughly"

-for Satay, the main ingredient is just "Pork" - with no specification as to the cut

Usually no specific cuts as the meat is typically sandwiched by pieces of fats. 

-instructions for making a curry powder for meat: "Wash [whole spices] separately, drain well, and dry in the sun"....  put the ingredients on a tray, "Heat oven slightly" and toast the tray of [spices].....  what is the temperature equivalent of "heat oven slightly"?

You can just lightly toast them in a pan or wok just to help release the oils. 

Maddening....  I really want to like this book, and use it, but I wish I could ask questions of someone to help out with the stuff that is vague.

barista

barista

On 11/15/2016 at 10:27 AM, KennethT said:

-an ingredient called Streaky Pork (not defined anywhere)

That's pork belly 

-giving directions for deep frying a certain dish, she says "In a heated wok, add cooking oil and heat until very hot"

Dip a wooden Copdock into oil, if you see bubbles rising along the chopstick, that's the temperature. 

-after marinating chicken, "Place chicken in the sun to dry thoroughly"

-for Satay, the main ingredient is just "Pork" - with no specification as to the cut

Usually no specific cuts as the meat is typically sandwiched by pieces of fats. 

-instructions for making a curry powder for meat: "Wash [whole spices] separately, drain well, and dry in the sun"....  put the ingredients on a tray, "Heat oven slightly" and toast the tray of [spices].....  what is the temperature equivalent of "heat oven slightly"?

You can just lightly toast them in a pan or wok just to help release the oils. 

Maddening....  I really want to like this book, and use it, but I wish I could ask questions of someone to help out with the stuff that is vague.