• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catherine T

Catherine T

Hi, I have just discovered and registered on this site. My main cooking and baking concern is that I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and haven't been able to eat gluten. BUT I have discovered an exception. When I have visited Continental Europe such as Spain and Russia, I have been able to eat their bread and have had no negative repercussions. Then when I try eating bread in Great Britain and North America I have become sick. My research on the Web has not provided any explanations although I believe the EU has banned GMO grains. I was recently gifted panetonne from a Toronto restaurant called Sud Forno that uses Italian flour and I was able to safely eat it. Another bakery called Forno Cultura advertises that it uses European flour. So I am going to approach them to see if I can buy their flour in bulk. I will let you know how it goes.

Hello Catherine T and welcome to eGullet, an amazing collection of cooks and bakers who are generous with their advice and recipes beyond belief.

Sorry you have Celiac Disease but glad that you are finding ways around it.  And I am very curious about the European flour and how you can eat it.  Do let us know how your search works out.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi folks,

Well, yesterday I tried my experiment with bread made from non GMO Italian flour. Unfortunately I was sick all afternoon after eating 2 slices of the bread. So it remains a mystery why I could eat Spanish and Russian bread and pasta while I was in Europe but can't handle Italian flour. I can find no research on Celiac Disease or flour varieties that would enlighten me. So I am back to a gluten-free diet and trying to recreate my favorite childhood recipes using non-gluten ingredients, which I am managing to do with some success. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.