• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick zaatar bread (baking powder risen)

shain

Updated Nov 1st 2020.

Best served warm, with labneh and vegetables.

I enjoy making a sandwich filled with of labeneh, finely chopped tomato and parsley.

Also great served with scrambled eggs cooked with tomatoes and onion, and of course, labneh

Ingredients for one not very big bread or 10 muffins, a 20cm frying pan (as flatbread) or a small loaf pan.

dry:

• 85g AP flour (you can use a cake flour if you have it on hand)
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (some zaatar mixtures contains various amounts of salt, so add to taste)
  • 2/3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 15-20g zaatar mixture (I encourage you to also try other spices)

wet:

• 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 90g-100g thick yogurt
  • 20g flavorful olive oil
  • optional: 1/2 a tomato, cut into small dice
  • optional: a handful pf chopped cheese such as mozzarella or feta (reduce salt if using feta!)

• Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  • In a second larger bowl, beat together the wet ingredients well.

To make a flatbread in a frying pan:

• Preheat the frying pan over medium heat, and oil it well.
  • Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Do not over mix.
  • Pour batter into the hot frying pan.
  • Spread batter evenly.
  • Cover the pan and cook until cooked through, the bottom is brown and crisp, and the top is not sticky. About 10 minutes. Avoid over cooking.
  • Gently flip and briefly cook the second side.
  • re-fry the browned side to get it crisp again if needed.

To bake as muffins:

• Pour into greased muffin tin. It should make about 10-12 small muffins or 6-8 large ones.
  • Bake at 200dC just until a toothpick comes out clean, apx 15-20 - they won't brown much so be careful not to over bake.
  • If you want them prettier and a bit crisp, under bake them by a couple of minutes. Remove from tin, and cool a little. Brush with oil and bake at high heat until browned, apx 5-8 minutes. 

20170105_130737.thumb.jpg.702f8396459981d61eaff9a8de51689f.jpg

PXL_20201024_121736871.thumb.jpg.7eb862123f612551a235da9c5b985da1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

This looks great. Thanks for posting it.

You wrote to fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Would it work just as well to fold the wet into the dry?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 11/11/2016 at 8:56 PM, Alex said:

This looks great. Thanks for posting it.

You wrote to fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Would it work just as well to fold the wet into the dry?

Sorry for missing your post until now. 

It will work fine, I choose to do it in this order since it's easier to pour the dry ingredients - there is no need to scrape the bowl to get it out. 

~ Shai N.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Definitely need to work on getting the heat right. And despite the mess I made of my first attempt I see potential. I think it would be great with methi in place of za'atar.  I use Diamond Crystal kosher salt and found 1 teaspoon to be a bit too much for my taste.  Thanks for the recipe. All errors are mine!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Definitely need to work on getting the heat right. And despite the mess I made of my first attempt I see potential. I think it would be great with methi in place of za'atar.  I use Diamond Crystal kosher salt and found 1 teaspoon to be a bit too much for my taste.  Thanks for the recipe. All errors are mine!

I'm glad to see that you tried it. I guess it is indeed harder to time recipes over the stove. Sorry it was too salty, it's hard to tell if our measurement weren't synced, or if I'm a salt lover (probably a little). Also, make sure that you don't have a significant amount salt in the zaatar mixture. 

Anyhow, if you decide to make it again, please let me now,  methi sounds interesting, perhaps with some turmeric and cumin. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Yes I think any bread cooked on the stove top takes a little while to figure out the correct heat level. I wondered about the salt content.  It seemed well within what I normally would tolerate so perhaps the fault lies in the za'atar. Anyway I will try it again.  I hope within the next few days. 

Edited to add

I checked the contents of my Za'atar package and it does indeed contain salt!  No indication of how much, 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog