• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Sips in Seattle - tea drinker in a coffee culture

Kerry Beal

Those of you have met me know that I'm a tea drinker - several pots a day. Wandering into a coffee culture such as Seattle means I've had to carry my own with me. Hoping our airbnb has a pot and cosy so I don't have to do too much adapting!

@Alleguede and I have a booth at the NW Chocolate Festival to show off the EZtemper. Apparently 8000-10000 people come to this show - and although a lot are consumers -  the bean to bar manufacturers attend in droves. There is a 2 day 'unconference' before the show - mostly attended by bean to bar folks.

I will be doing one of the onstage demos on Sunday - aimed at the small and getting biggger manufacturer (of course with an eye to convincing them an EZtemper would fit in!)

I've started another thread on where we should eat - then hope to report here on what we get into.

• Like 10

Airline food is typically sad, in my experience.  It didn't used to be that way, and I've seen exceptions recently with foreign carriers, but I usually buy something at great extravagance in the terminal to eat on the airplane.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

OMG.  That is some ugly looking food. I hope Seattle comes to your rescue later.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Airline food is typically sad, in my experience.  It didn't used to be that way, and I've seen exceptions recently with foreign carriers, but I usually buy something at great extravagance in the terminal to eat on the airplane.

That would have been a good plan!

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OMG.  That is some ugly looking food. I hope Seattle comes to your rescue later.  

Indeed - but when John, the flight attendant, dropped it off and apologized for it being quiche rather than omlette as offered - he did comment on how good it smelled!

11 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

How long are you there? Good luck in the show!!! 

And why oh why a Christmas napkin when it is barely November???!!! Ugh. 

Edited to add:  Bah, humbug.   xD

Just til Monday.

Had the same thought about the napkin!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Smithy said:

39 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That would have been a good plan!

Should you decide to do this on your return flight, the food at SEA is not as overpriced as many airports - the airport outposts of local restaurants charge the same prices as in town.  You can grab something to go from Beecher's, Ivar's or Dish D'Dlish or if you have time to kill, Anthony's has a sit-down restaurant where you can enjoy a local brew, fish & chips or something from their menu (the salmon burger used to be my guilty pleasure) with a view of the runways.  

Not food-related, but fun is the Fireworks location in the airport if you need last minute gifts to haul home.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Should you decide to do this on your return flight, the food at SEA is not as overpriced as many airports - the airport outposts of local restaurants charge the same prices as in town.  You can grab something to go from Beecher's, Ivar's or Dish D'Dlish or if you have time to kill, Anthony's has a sit-down restaurant where you can enjoy a local brew, fish & chips or something from their menu (the salmon burger used to be my guilty pleasure) with a view of the runways.  

Not food-related, but fun is the Fireworks location in the airport if you need last minute gifts to haul home.  

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

IMG_1632.jpg

Of course we had to go to PIke's Market - I think the last time I was here was almost 20 years ago. It was a bit more of an actual market then, but it's still an interesting ramble.

IMG_1633.jpg

Lady making baked perogi (can't recall the spelling).

IMG_1635.jpg

Happened upon the loading of the ferry out to the islands.

IMG_1636.jpg

Then noticed all these fisherman - cheek to jowl on the jetty.

IMG_1637.jpg

And they seemed all to be catching things which was unusual. 

IMG_1640.jpg

What they were catching was even more unusual. I guess I've never seen squid jigging in real life before and didn't realize it happened off public docks. When I think of how long I lived on the west coast - and all the fresh calamari I missed...  A licence is apparently $17 - not sure how long it's good for.

IMG_1641.jpg

• Like 12

IMG_1643.jpg

Opted for Manolin - a suggestions made by @EMichels. It was a lovely night for the west coast and so we sat outside by the fire pit with a drink while waiting for a table.

IMG_1647.jpg

I opted for the Jabberwocky.

IMG_1648.jpg

@Alleguede the Help me Rhonda.

IMG_1651.jpg

Plaintain chips.

IMG_1645.jpg

The lighting of course left something to be desired and I'm not a big fan of using flash on my phone. 

IMG_1653.jpg

Imagine our surprise when the mussels came already on the sourdough bread. The sauce was garlicy and wonderful - and unfortunately a restaurant with a bakery right beside it doesn't have any extra bread to soak up said sauce said the waitress as she snatched away the plate!

IMG_1656.jpg

Rockfish ceviche 

IMG_1657.jpg

Grilled beef, radish, hint of potato and lardo. 

IMG_1662.jpg

We left a little hungry from the restaurant but fortunately I'd picked up some curds at Beecher's at Pikes Place. They are delightfully squeeky being so fresh!

• Like 9

I love the creative cocktail names.  :D That food all looks good.  Now I'm pining for mussels. Thanks so much for the wharf shots, too!  I've only been to Pike Place Market a couple of times, but it was a hoot.  

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Naked mussels!  But of course you are on the West Coast one should expect anything, right?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Coming to you live! We spent some time setting up our table at the NW Chocolate Festival.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

no cocktails due to the hour 

• Like 2

There are at least 5 drinks on that Manolin menu that I would try if I was better at figuring out, or making educated guesses, at ratios. Unfortunately, I am not.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So now that Kerry is out of battery I have to do this so bare with me on this one

we went for dinner in the only restaurant we found room in... I suspect there's a reason why - so we are live at the restaurant -

we also kidnapped some girl from manitoulin that apparently writes super nice things about other people's chocolate, mind you she hasn't met me yet so I have one dinner to change her to my French ways. I think she is "absolute chocolate" but I'm not really paying attention (I put my flirting game on :))

image.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 6

C'est charmant!

Perhaps I should include information on where and what we ate? We started out visiting Chocopolis, We checked with How to Cook a Wolf - but first reservation would have been 9:30 at night and we were fading already. On the advice of the owner of Chocopolis we went down the street to Betty - but it would have been an hour wait. So we headed back to the place next door - Lloyd Martin.

DSCN6474.jpg

DSCN6470.jpg

This was my drink before I asked for rocks to put it on. Bourbon, amaro, fig syrup and chili oil.  

• Like 6