• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap confectionery frame and vibrating table for confectioners.

martin0642

Hi all - just for a change I thought I'd do something other than ask endless questions ....

I know many small confectionery producers struggle with the cost of equipment sometimes (£20 for a "caramel ruler"...really???!) and as a small producer myself I thought i'd share a recent find.

These are UK based but I assume you can find similar things everywhere. https://www.westonboxes.com/products/sra3-paper-storage-box

I use this company's boxes to store and transport loose chocolates - they're dirt cheap and pretty tough - and they do boxes with 30mm height which is ideal. I'm surprised it took me so long to realise I could also use them for slabbed ganache. Line with parchment paper on the bottom and you're good to go. Especially good (using the smaller boxes) for very small runs for people like me who are still building the order books.

As for the vibrating table - I bought one of these dental vibrators: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENTAL-LABORATORY-VIBRATOR-4-ROUND-TOP-PLATFORM-SUNBURST-BRAND-110V-US-SELLER-/170602175358

The round top (there are square ones also) just unscrews - you can then drill holes in it (very easy) and bolt a flat plastic tray to the top. Works like a charm on bar moulds, I can fit two moulds side by side and no longer have issues with bubbles or a weird finish to the back of the bar. Also seems to unmould easier but I may be imagining that.

Anyway.......... if you need cost savings on equipment - here's some ides - hope it helps someone :)

• Like 1

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan