• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searzall--After the Honeymoon?

boilsover

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

IMO, this is probably the best use for most cooks.  Faster than a basting cover, and without the guesswork because you're watching it.

I don't understand.  If you are a normally sighted cook or something close to it, you are watching your eggs as you are basting them.  Else, if you are vision impaired you might not want to be handling a Searzall.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't understand.  If you are a normally sighted cook or something close to it, you are watching your eggs as you are basting them.  Else, if you are vision impaired you might not want to be handling a Searzall.

Your basting covers are glass?  Mine are aluminum.

And I'm not basting the eggs they cover--I'm waiting for the heat trapped inside to finish the top of the egg.  Lifting the cover too often releases the heat, just like opening an oven's door.  Wait too long and the egg's overdone.  Hence finishing with the torch.

I also do SunnySideUp eggs w a glass over.

I add a little water to the fry pan when its hot after the eggs then cover until the top just sets.

these are easy to make

they are not as good as true Fried Eggs w the crispy edge but a still barely set yolk

that would envolve oil that id then toss out.

:/

10 hours ago, boilsover said:

IMO, this is probably the best use for most cooks.  Faster than a basting cover, and without the guesswork because you're watching it.

Baste. I suspect this is the more generally accepted meaning for most of us. I would consider covering it with the lid as steaming. But as always to each their own. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Baste. I suspect this is the more generally accepted meaning for most of us. I would consider covering it with the lid as steaming. But as always to each their own. 

It's merely a (if not the) common term for these covers.  Sort of like calling a rondeau a brazier.  The definition of "braise" doesn't really enter into it.

Guy goes into a resto supply store...  "Gimmee a couple of those whatchamacallits that you throw over eggs."  "You mean basting covers?  Right this way."

Edited by boilsover (log)

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

Your basting covers are glass?  Mine are aluminum.

And I'm not basting the eggs they cover--I'm waiting for the heat trapped inside to finish the top of the egg.  Lifting the cover too often releases the heat, just like opening an oven's door.  Wait too long and the egg's overdone.  Hence finishing with the torch.

I misunderstood about covering the pan.  I baste my eggs with butter and a Ruhlman spoon.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's interesting to me that our lists for how we use the Searzall are basically identical, @flippant -- I sort of figured I was the only one foolish enough to use a gigantic propane torch for those things :) . I've got a few other fringe uses (I don't own a toaster or toaster oven, so some things normal people use those for I use the torch), but your list captures 95% of what I do with mine. I guess I also add that I use mine to toast the marshmallows and peanut butter in a peanut butter/marshmallow/banana sandwich. 

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, Chris Hennes said:

It's interesting to me that our lists for how we use the Searzall are basically identical, @flippant -- I sort of figured I was the only one foolish enough to use a gigantic propane torch for those things :) . I've got a few other fringe uses (I don't own a toaster or toaster oven, so some things normal people use those for I use the torch), but your list captures 95% of what I do with mine. I guess I also add that I use mine to toast the marshmallows and peanut butter in a peanut butter/marshmallow/banana sandwich. 

Brilliant.  Will do this.

I make Vietnamese style chicken chops marinated and basted in 50/50 fish-sauce/sugar (and garlic and/or lemongrass) and grill them (and serve topped with chopped cilantro/mint/fried shallots/chopped scallion/crushed peanut).  The Searzall allows me to caramelize (burn) the sugar in a way that would be impossible to do just with the grill, without drying out the chicken. Really improves the dish.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanksgiving 2017 Update

Searzall actually made a big, positive contribution to my Tday feast.  I'd call it The Equalizer for my overcrowded oven and my brined turkey's dermis.

It excelled in evening up the skin browning all over the bird.  And it was very helpful in imparting some needed top browning on the pan stuffing and casserole dishes.  Overall, it was a big help in bringing things together at the right time to plate and serve.

• Like 1