• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searzall--After the Honeymoon?

boilsover

Get a flashlight and look inside.  The kickstarter mentioned a ceramic insulation layer... and the the inside walls look to be screen over a white surface.  I'm betting that white stuff is a ceramic shell.  No telling how far up it goes or what would hold it in place if it stopped short of the cap.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so Santa left me one of these.  Neither he nor Dave Arnold can tell me where the Allen screw went that mounts the Searzall to the torch head.  It certainly wasn't in the little ziplock bag with the other small parts.  Maybe it's rattling around in the sleigh?  Trip to the hardware store...

Also, it's only after you buy that you read in the instructions that the TS-4000 torch is considered underpowered (<1/2 the power of the -8000).  But wait, it gets better...  The TS-8000 is sold as a MAPP torch, not propane, so few people already have one.  And they're $63.  So now I have one of those coming to add to my platoon of torches.

I hope it's all worth $150...

That sucks about the missing mounting screw. Glad you got that sorted! As for the TS8000 issue, it's been no secret that the TS8000 is the preferred torch head for the Searzall. The product description on both Amazon and the B&D website only list the TS8000 as the compatible torch head; it's not until you look through the manual or FAQ that the TS4000 is even mentioned. On the original Kickstarter page for the Searzall, they included a video demonstration comparing various torch heads and fuels so you can see (in real time) how much faster the TS8000 is compared to the TS4000. An interesting finding of that comparison test was that MAPP offered no real benefit on the TS8000, but sped things up considerably on the TS4000. At any rate, both Bernzomatic torches are sold as being compatible with both MAPP and propane, and the TS8000 is the #1 selling torch head on Amazon. MAPP isn't suggesed with the Searzall, but that's mostly because the MAPP canisters are smaller and the Searzall makes them tip over. 

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

That sucks about the missing mounting screw. Glad you got that sorted! As for the TS8000 issue, it's been no secret that the TS8000 is the preferred torch head for the Searzall. The product description on both Amazon and the B&D website only list the TS8000 as the compatible torch head; it's not until you look through the manual or FAQ that the TS4000 is even mentioned. On the original Kickstarter page for the Searzall, they included a video demonstration comparing various torch heads and fuels so you can see (in real time) how much faster the TS8000 is compared to the TS4000. An interesting finding of that comparison test was that MAPP offered no real benefit on the TS8000, but sped things up considerably on the TS4000. At any rate, both Bernzomatic torches are sold as being compatible with both MAPP and propane, and the TS8000 is the #1 selling torch head on Amazon. MAPP isn't suggesed with the Searzall, but that's mostly because the MAPP canisters are smaller and the Searzall makes them tip over. 

Well, they kept it a secret from me.  Already having a TS4000, I checked and verified compatibility.  Nowhere I could find--until the instruction sheet arrived with the unit--any mention that the TS4000 was considered "Not nearly as powerful" [as the TS8000].  Or the helpful fact that the output was <1/2.

To not include the same information on the Booker & Dax website and on the Amazon page is simply irresponsible.  They will end up snookering me (and others) into paying twice the asking price to make it function as advertised.  Considering the attention to minutae on ike jime and other of Dave's endeavors, this is pretty sloppy.

Still haven't heard from them about the missing piece, but judging by the Searzall "Forum", the issue and lack of response is not atypical.

Oh, and what open secret is there about what flame adjustment to set on the TS8000 when it arrives?

Edited by boilsover (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, all.  I've written a full review of the Searzall at a competing site that doesn't require citations for third-party photos.  I'd be happy to post here if the photos would be allowed.

Hint:  It's the site with the initials HO.

• 4 months later...
On 2016-11-9 at 7:06 AM, Ozcook said:

I have a Searzall which I use about twice a week, mainly for putting a crust on beef or lamb. I like it for small jobs but it can be a pain for large jobs. My main problem is that I live in Australia. I cannot buy replacement screens here. Amazon will sell me a Searzall and a Bernzomatic TS-8000 but not replacement screens (they don't ship replacement screens to Australia). I sought assistance on the Searzall forum but that forum is dead: Searzall forum

Modernist Pantry have replacement screens and ship to Australia.

On December 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM, cdh said:

Best idea I've gotten yet is to call up Dave Arnold's radio show and ask him for advice... he made it, after all... and the support forums are dead as a doornail.

Or asking him over Twitter @cookingissues.  He answers Twitter questions quickly, but the show has become more of a talk show lately and he doesn't get through too many questions so submitting one might be a slow process.  Still the best cooking/food show on any medium, in my opinion.

I can add that I still use my Searz-All, although I use my torch generally less since I upgraded my stove to 25K BTU burners and can now get a decent sear on most things.  Still, if you use a torch regularly, it will definitely be useful to you. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Im thinking about a Searzall.

Amazon says 2 -  5 months.

and with issues of changing out the screen   ...................

any idea if these things just have dropped out of sight due not term use issues ?

• Like 1

I had trouble changing out my screen... but I twittered Dave Arnold, who offered suggestions... and when they didn't succeed, he had me send it to him and personally handled getting it back in good-as-new shape.  There's definitely product support behind the Searzall... after you figure out how to get in touch with them.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

yes.

if screen changes were not problematic , and as far as I can tell they are ..

Id get thesearzall and the TS8000 if they were available now.

maybe there is a V.2.0 that solves the screen change problem

thanks for pouting out that Id need both for max effect

save disappointment if one didn't know about this.

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

save disappointment if one didn't know about this.

YW.  My disappointment came after I asked for, and Santa delivered, the Searzall.  They SAY that it will work on the TS-4000 (which I had).  It will fit, but the heat output is <1/2 that of the TS8000.  So a $75 expenditure became something more like $150.

Oh, here's another...er... tip:  Even mounted to the shorter, squat "camping" type as bottles, the assembled Searzall is hella tippy.  I would not use it without also buying one of the aftermarket plastic bases sold for camping lanterns.  

• Like 1

I have the feeling

with of course no data to support it

suprise.gif.f3dea83c5a0df8c3b39f22709c40e610.gif

[ed.:  what's new ? ]

the the SZAll is either history

or being redesigned

sor the screen issues.

I also have the feeling that the effort being made is towards the

Spizall.

such a shame I can't figure out how to do things for fun that I don't really need to do w the

Spinner

Beef jus would have been nice.

@flippant 

that's interesting

but Im a bit skeptical ...........

why ?

Amazon is about the velocity of the sale

faster the better

right now

The Amazonians are Sold Out.

See ?

I can't imagine them holding back

anyway

the screen and the screws are an issue for me

Back When

done in the Home WorkShop  I would have been able to deal with this

in stride

now not so fast

but  ....

that's an issue that needs really to be solved to make the SZ-All a superiors product.

• Like 1

After many approaches to searing meat, I use one of two methods, neither of which is a Searzall: deep frying for a minimal period, or heating my wok up on a wok burner to red hot temperatures, drying the meat, applying oil and salt and then searing. I'm happy and no smells of gas products.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

16 hours ago, nickrey said:

no smells of gas products

Just to be clear, there's no torch taste or smell with the Searzall--that's one of its big advantages.

On the minus side, it's not that great (or fast) for searing a steak.  Touching up, yes.

Edited by boilsover
grammar (log)
  • Like 1