• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MSRadell

MSRadell

I wish we had great is everywhere.

MSRadell

MSRadell

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, kayb said:

Here in the Mid-South, Kroger is ubiquitous. Lately, they've started upgrading and/or building some new, more upscale stores in some locations. They have a greatly expanded deli with, among other offerings:

• a sushi bar (decent sushi, not great but not bad)
  • a Chinese take-out bar (beef and broccoli, General Tso's chicken, couple of other entrees, fried rice, noodles)
  • a "Mexican" food bar (I use quotes because it appears to be only vaguely Mexican)
  • a wings bar
  • an extensive salad bar with four different soup offerings
  • a hot counter with a couple of entrees and five or six sides, as well as fried chicken
  • a cold case with all manner of salads, as well as grilled veggies, etc., that can either be eaten cold or warmed back up
  • an expanded cheese section with a really good (for this part of the world) selection of cheeses, and they'll cut the size chunk you want
  • a massive olive and antipasto bar
  • and the sliced deli meat/cheese section will make you a sandwich to order and sell it to you by weight.

There are some packaged meals like premade sandwiches and salads. 

There's also a fairly decent, for this part of the world, seafood section, and a decent (for a supermarket) custom meat section.

There are some tables, but most people appear to be picking up stuff to take out. I've picked up lunch or dinner there more than a few times.

I agree that overall Kroger is upping their stores as far as as far as the deli section etc. goes and adding the Murray cheese shops etc. However while they are doing that I'm seeing an overall decline in their regular grocery items. They have more and more store brand items and fewer national brand items. While some of their store brand items are good there are certain items we definitely prefer the national brand and they no longer have them! The problem is that here in Louisville they are about the only game in town. We have a couple of Fresh Markets and a Whole Foods but other than that it's basically them or Walmart (both superstores and their standalone grocery stores). I grew up in Rochester New York, the home of Wegmans and would love to have 1 of them here!